Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

AetherMaster

Aether
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, this is a really nooby question here, but I want it answered.

In wiiscrubber 1.40, there is a "Scrub" button and a "Trim" button.

I know that scrubbing makes the ISO much smaller when archived, but what does trimming do?

I tried clicking on trim, but the ISO it gave me turned out to be corrupted. It said something like "not a valid Wii game."

So I guess my question would be "what is trimming in wiiscrubber, and how do you get it working?"

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
synicasm

When I Scrub I "scrub" the original Iso and when done its the same size.
That is correct, you have to use winrar to compress it, the scrubing process only makes the unused data compresable

When I Trim it allows me to save to a different file name that is much smaller than the original usually.
That's correct cause TRIM is actually like the shrinking on GC games, except that this is a compression that makes the file loose the properties of a Wii.iso

QUOTE said:
Horribly stupid question: I have a 3.3U wii (pre-Oct) with HBC+gamma 0.3 installed and working fine. Is it possible to install DvDx without impacting gamma (purely for use with MPlayer_CE and the like...). I've read just enough about IOS249 and various conflicts therein with older versions of the loader to sufficiently confuse myself about whether gamma+DvDx is safe.

Sigh, and as long as I'm asking stupid noob questions: Would a _retail_ version of a game with a newer firmware cause my wii to update? Obviously I brick-block or validate any dumped games to ensure they won't cause an update, but wasn't sure what retail versions might do. My wii is not currently wifi'd, so downgrading isn't an option (the current guides for downgrading offline are still a bit... raw).

Install DVDx as normal and then it will hang on IOS36, not IOS249 as you say, the retail version of Animal Crossing as the 3.4 update, same as WiiFit (not sure this last one) and those can and will update your Wii if you want to play those, the offline downgrading you need to do is just install:

IOS30
SysMenu.wad (the version for your region v289 for NTSC-U and v290 for PAL

and that is the specific order, do it wrong and suffer the consecuences..!!!
smile.gif

Daagar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Install DVDx as normal and then it will hang on IOS36, not IOS249 as you say

So if it is going to hang, does that mean it is not possible to have DVDx and gamma 0.3 installed together? Or is the hang just something that will happen, and can be safely ignored? A functional gamma is of more importance than dvdx, so I don't want to compromise it...

cactusjack901

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there any way to load apps over FTP or something with just the homebrew channel, my SD card won't work in my wii (one of the tabs separating the connectors broke off, but it still reads in my computer, I'd say it was a problem with the wii, but it takes a minute to say "OH HEY I CAN'T USE 'DIS" for that, but my MicroSDHC/adapter is recognized/fails immediately)

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Daagar said:
ether2802 said:
Install DVDx as normal and then it will hang on IOS36, not IOS249 as you say

So if it is going to hang, does that mean it is not possible to have DVDx and gamma 0.3 installed together? Or is the hang just something that will happen, and can be safely ignored? A functional gamma is of more importance than dvdx, so I don't want to compromise it...

Gamma uses IOS249, and DVDx uses IOS36, I can't see any conection between them if you install DVDx as "NORMAL"; we used to use it in the first leaked launcher but using IOS249, now is not needed for the backup games, so install it as "NORMAL" so it will hang/use/whatever IOS36 to reproduce video DVD's, got it..?
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
is there any way to load apps over FTP or something with just the homebrew channel, my SD card won't work in my wii (one of the tabs separating the connectors broke off, but it still reads in my computer, I'd say it was a problem with the wii, but it takes a minute to say "OH HEY I CAN'T USE 'DIS" for that, but my MicroSDHC/adapter is recognized/fails immediately)

Download and install SendELF in your PC, and I guess you have the Wii and PC connected into the same router/modem

About the new cIOS 36, since I have cIOSCORP installed, what should I do to install it? Uninstall cIOSCORP then install it? "Patch" cCORP? Or what?...

Well the latest cIOS36_r8-installer, install the IOS36 with the DIP8 as IOS249, and the CIOScorp is a package of several IOS DIP patched and installed in their same place, Eg. IOS30 DIP patched as IOS30, so there is so much to do to have a CIOScorp_r8 than just use this installer, I really think you should get more info about what you have installed into your Wii (and then again is yours, so, you know what you do with it)...!!!
smile.gif

priv8dan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've managed to successfully install HBC and then updated to 3.4u. I recently installed Life Force on Virtual Console but everytime I tried to start the game my Wii resets. Anyone know what is causing this problem, and further... a fix for it? Thank you!

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm not sure about this, but my

theory:
fake signed disc are bloked on 3.3 and newer
why not channels..?? (maybe)

Solution:
Downgrade to 3.2

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
priv8dan said:
Hi, I've managed to successfully install HBC and then updated to 3.4u. I recently installed Life Force on Virtual Console but everytime I tried to start the game my Wii resets. Anyone know what is causing this problem, and further... a fix for it? Thank you!

QUOTE(ether2802 @ Mar 9 2009, 07:23 AM) I'm not sure about this, but my

theory:
fake signed disc are bloked on 3.3 and newer
why not channels..?? (maybe)

Solution:
Downgrade to 3.2

How old is this game? Which IOS is used by the game? If the game uses IOS37,38,53 or 55 a downgrade will not have that much influence on the game. But i think too, it could be a trucha issue.

Did you update to 3.4 online?

Seaniccus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... I've been homebrew enabled for about a week now, and while the emulators and cheat functions of ocarina are really rocking my socks - is there some killer app i'm missing out on? It seems like with the exception of a few Emulators, Quake Wii, DoomWii and maybe Supersonic - there really isn't much "high quality" stuff available. There are some really interesting demos, but when I first heard about the homebrew scene I guess it was implied that it was bigger.

I guess what I'm saying is it kind of looks like the main reason to TP hack your wii is to run backups, which really isen't my thing. I know it's pretty early for the homebrew scene, but it looks like a lot of potentially cool projects have been abandoned, and it's more of a "backup" with very LOUD quotes scene.

I hope this doesen't come off as insulting, if so i'm sorry. The work that has been done is awesome, I just want to know if i'm missing something.

mushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ive got homebrew channel, i ve installed cIOS but game is not working frown.gif.

my questions are
any guide for installing backup lanucher and cIOS on homebrew channel?
anyway to check what cISO a person has installed?
and does error 324 mean bad media?
do i still need twighlight princess games once homebrew channel intsalled?

when i install cISO i get "installation -1" and it goes to homebrew channel is that normal?

i m on v3.4e menu

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mushi said:
ive got homebrew channel, i ve installed cIOS but game is not working frown.gif.

my questions are
any guide for installing backup lanucher and cIOS on homebrew channel?
anyway to check what cIOS a person has installed?
and does error 324 mean bad media?
do i still need twighlight princess games once homebrew channel intsalled?

when i install cIOS i get "installation -1" and it goes to homebrew channel is that normal?

i m on v3.4e menu
use this guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118446
you will downgrade to 3.2 to stop the error
about the 324: its bad media / bad burn
Make sure to use DVD-r (or DVD+r booktyped to DVD-ROM)
once you have HBC you dont need TP anymore

priv8dan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
priv8dan said:

How old is this game? Which IOS is used by the game? If the game uses IOS37,38,53 or 55 a downgrade will not have that much influence on the game. But i think too, it could be a trucha issue.

Did you update to 3.4 online?
Hey thank you for the reply, but I'm still not clear if downgrading to 3.2 will fix the problem.
The game was recently released on the Shopping Channel. How can I find out which IOS is used for the virtual console the game?
Yes, I did update to 3.4 online if that helps.

sess

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I just used the (Preloader's) Hacks Remover and now my Wii Menu doesn't boot anymore... o_o'...

The only way I can boot it is using Preloader (holding RESET). Any clues of what the hell I did? Is there any problem if I update from 3.2 to 3.4 without using the Remover? (That is, leaving the hacks.ini on the NAND)

srinag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, i'm new to the whole wii thing, just picked it up 4 hours ago and have no prior knowledge bout it.

It is a version 3.2U
I bought the piece in the grey market, i was told it can play backed up games and given no other details.
Switched it on and saw an option in the main menu called "backup launcher gamma channel" and when i entered it
i saw gbatemp.net appear on the screen, and so i'm here.

I understand my wii has not been hard modded, and when i tried to play one of the games i bought, it said i would have 2 update the firmware
and gave me the option do so, but i figured it would be wiser to look it up before going ahead.

So, how do i update the wii's firmware and still be able to play backed up games? and also how to update the backup launcher?
and any other background info that i shud know regarding the method used to make the backed up games work?

And oh, why is it that i can switch off the console with the remote but i cant switch it on with the remote?
wen i try switching on the console with the remote, all the four lights on the remote just keep blinking and nothing else happens....

P.S : sorry for askin so many questions, but i'm new to the wii and the manual i got is completely in korean.

i'm grateful for any help, thanx!!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
srinag said:
Hello everyone, i'm new to the whole wii thing, just picked it up 4 hours ago and have no prior knowledge bout it.

It is a version 3.2U
I bought the piece in the grey market, i was told it can play backed up games and given no other details.
Switched it on and saw an option in the main menu called "backup launcher gamma channel" and when i entered it
i saw gbatemp.net appear on the screen, and so i'm here.

I understand my wii has not been hard modded, and when i tried to play one of the games i bought, it said i would have 2 update the firmware
and gave me the option do so, but i figured it would be wiser to look it up before going ahead.

So, how do i update the wii's firmware and still be able to play backed up games? and also how to update the backup launcher?
and any other background info that i shud know regarding the method used to make the backed up games work?

And oh, why is it that i can switch off the console with the remote but i cant switch it on with the remote?
wen i try switching on the console with the remote, all the four lights on the remote just keep blinking and nothing else happens....

P.S : sorry for asking so many questions, but i'm new to the wii and the manual i got is completely in korean.

i'm grateful for any help, thanx!!
Wise decision coming here
I hope you haven't payed more for that wii
anyway, your best option is to install starfall to block disc updates
this will keep you on the 3.2 firmware, the best firmware to have
If you want benefits of higher firmwares you'll have to search for a 'safe update'
For backups, using DVD-r and burning with the free software IMGBurn is advised
For the remote, blinking lights mean its trying to connect to the wii
Maybe you have to resync it (with the sync buttons on the wii and the remote)

omgwtflol420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been trying to get a game to run through the backup launcher, but despite having installed the 002 fix more than once, I'm still getting the 002 error. Help?

Edit: Never mind, I'm dumb. Ignore this post.

Bakuryu42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a noob to homebrew I will freely admit it, but I do understand the basics and I do have the homebrew channel installed and working. I have 3.2 firmware im not sure if its E or U (I'm not sure what that means either) I download my Backuplauncher0.3_gamma.zip from

http://cid-839e025d3809d9b2.skydrive.live....i4everybody.com

And I know how to run it by putting them in the apps folder in my SD card, but I am unsure how to properly use them. I assume that the cIOS Installer does what its name implies, but I am not very knowledgeable about said cIOS's for example, how many are there, which one is the best (or do I need them all) I just need names I can find them myself. I notice while reading the endless amount of guides (Yes I did read most of them and I still can't figure this out =\) I notice some mention Wad installer and wads. Are these obsolete now? Another thing that bothered me was the main post about Backup launcher 0.3 Gamma download link is just a text file.

My main goal here is to play Tatsunoko VS Capcom, is it possible? I mean its an NTSC-J game and my Wii is NTSC. Also I heard if it does work there is a color issue how do I fix this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo