Gaming Non-English Language Games?

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hopefully, this hasn't been asked too many times already - I ran a search and not a lot came up, apart from the Daigasso and Ouendan games.

I'm looking for games from Japan (or anywhere, really) that can be played without knowing the language.
Puzzlers, platformers, shooters, whatever - basically, any game that doesn't require the player to understand the in-game text to get through it.

Quirkiness is also desirable, I loves me some weird n' funky gameplay. It's not essential though, would just be a bonus is all.
I only speak English and a bit of French, not that it makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Taiko no Tatsujin. (especially the second one) A fun rhythm game involving taiko drumming. No Japanese knowledge necessary.

-Death Label. A fun shooting game (a la Ikaruga) where you only fight bosses.

-Jump Ultimate. Think Smash Bros. with popular anime and manga characters. There's a translation patch out already too.

Thankfully most of the good games seem to come over to the west, so it isn't that bad. But yeah, a few will fall through the cracks.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wow, that was quick! Thanks guys.
smile.gif

I must confess that I've avoided rhythm games up till now (don't like the idea of banging on my Lite's touch screen very much), and Death Label kicked my butt.

Jump Ultimate definitely looks interesting though, will try that one for sure.

Okay, we're off to a good start. Keep 'em coming please!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Not really sure what kind of games you're looking for but here goes:
Prism: Light the Way (Puzzle: I can't remember if there's text in the tutorial at the start, but it's really easy to figure out how the game works)
Nervous Brickdown (Arcade: breakout with a twist)
Densetsu no Stafy 4 (Platformer: there is a lot of text but you can play just fine without understanding a word of the story. In fact given the looks on the character's faces it's more fun to make one up
smile.gif
)
Warioware (Minigames)
Trioncube (Puzzle: very easy, but charming little title)

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, I was thinking of stuff like Puyo Puyo style puzzlers, or arcade shooters in the old skool Galaga or R-type vein.

But like I said, anything will do really - if it's fun, I'll give it a try.

Okay, I've played Prism: Light the Way already and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, that's the exact game that made me think of starting this thread.

D'oh! I' have copy of Nervous Brickdown in my archive already, but hadn't tried it yet. I just got through reading a review, and like a lot of people, I fell into the trap of thinking it was just another Breakout clone - but the screenshots are definitely intriguing. Will give it a whirl - thanks for making me take another look.

Densetsu no Stafy 4 - Now we're talkin'! A Kirby-like platformer, and I didn't even know it existed - awesome.
Warioware - Yup, been there, done that.
Triocube - looks cute too, should be good for killing some time on the train.

Okay, nice list to be going on with. Thanks very much, Psyfira.
yaynds.gif

If anyone cares to make more suggestions, please don't be shy... there's always room for more fun on my DS.
smile.gif

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks kallekall, but Metal Slug 7 has had European and US releases, so that isn't really what I'm after in this case.
Is a damn fine game though, so cheers anyway.

Interestingly, Trioncube and Nervous Brickdown were released in the US too.
Oh well, at least I'll be able to understand what's going on in those games, huh?
laugh.gif

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, if it's got a translation, I'll use it - playing a game is good enough, but understanding the dialogue never goes astray.

Anyone else got any games they would like to add? I thought that if we got enough games to make it worthwhile, I could compile and maintain a list of fully playable non-English language games for the DS, but as you can see, it's a bit on the short side so far...

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Soma Bringer's getting a translation too, isn't it?
laugh.gif

Okay, I'm a-gonna try this once more, then I'll quit hassling you nice people - but this time, I'm after games that don't need a translation.

Anyone?

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
As I can see, Daigasso 1 and DX, Ouendan 1 & 2, Taiko no Tatsujin, Rhythm Tengoku Gold and Densetsu no Stafi had all been mentioned already... games like Metal Slug 7 and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon received an english/european release recently... didn't Game & Watch Collection just got localized as well?

Remembered yet another rhythm game: Nodame Cantabile. Feels a bit like Ouendan, but with classical music.
And oh yeah, ANOTHER one: Simple DS Series Vol. 31: The Chou-Dangan!! Custom Sensha. It's a cute "tank platformer" (yeah, you read right) that kinda feels like Metal Slug. Well, I had fun with it!
There's also Tingle's Balloon Fight... I've never really played it, but I know it's Balloon Fight. And it has Tingle. So it must be good, right?

Hmm, that's all I can remember, so.... BUMP. Yeah, I'm interested in knowing more niche/obscure japanese quirky games as well!

sergeant_maya

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Illust Logic DS + Colorful Logic - Its like picross.
Penguin no Mondai - Cute penguin platformer? XD
Bakusou Dekotora Densetsu Black - Awesome truck racing game! You can customize your truck! Something like burnout?
Mitsukete! Keroro Gunsou Machigai Sagashi Daisakusen de arimasu! - Find the difference puzzle game.
The Frogman Show DS - Datte Shouganaijanai - Mini-games

unz

Chaotic Neutral
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh yeah, nice list sergeant!

Illust Logic DS sounds verrry interesting - I've been a sucker for picross type games since the original GB and Snes versions, so that one will definitely been getting a tryout. Always had a soft spot for platformers and racers too.

Thanks very much!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...