Hacking No WBFS files load anymore, after changing drive cluster size etc.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When the Gamecube loading came out, I split my NTFS hard drive in to two partitions. After quite a bit of messing about and annoyance, I managed to get it working (originally it was 64kb clusters etc). Now, the FAT32 partition has all my WBFS Wii games on, as well as Gamecube. The latter is working fine, but when I went to play New Super Mario Bros., I got a serious problem. All my Wii games now, either 1) Don't get past the USB loading screen, 2) Load but I can't sync my remote, or 3) Load but then crash. It's not my loader or cIOS, as I used ModMii before to make sure, and a game I have ripped today works fine.

Is there any way of 'fixing' WBFS files? Wii Backup Manager straight up says 10 of the games are corrupted/invalid, but all of them don't load on the Wii. We're talking about 129 different games here - Pretty much every exclusive on the Wii, that I've built up over time. I don't have the discs for most of them any more.

Am I totally screwed, or is there a way to save my 297GB collection (which I'm sure was bigger before I did CHKDSK earlier on).

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sounds like whatever you did to split the FS messed up pretty well
WBM has a function to check the internal checksum of the game (tools > sha1)
but fixing is out of the question afaik

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taking a few hours to go through WBM's sda1 checker, but it seems only a section of the games are damaged - Well, I say 'only', it's B - R. Still, could be worse. Could WIT in your signature do anything?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
only in the unlikely event that only the wbfs metadata inside the .wbfs file is damages
but if it was caused by some partitioning tool the damage is most likely spread over the file

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
So let me get this straight. When you split your HDD into 2 partitions, your files were still in the drive right? I just want to know so that I can avoid doing the same mistake in the future.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think so, it was a whole mess. Split the partition first, the games were on the NTFS side. Moved them over to new FAT32. Gamecube games wouldn't load, because the partition wasn't first, so I moved the files back (I think at this point it through up some errors, saying some are corrupt). Found out partition had 64, not 32 clusters, so I moved back again (could be why a section of them are fine, they stayed on NTFS). Reformatted, move them all on to FAT32.

Basically, who knows.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh well - My completion side wants me to track them all down again, but I have to think. When was the last time I played any of those games! WBM has 8 more games to go, but it's definitely looking like those middle 70 games. Never mind. Cheers for the advice

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's bizarre - Metroid Prime Trilogy has come up as faulty (at least, that's what I'm assuming red text means), even though I personally ripped that after all the stuff happened.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Here's the log http://pastebin.com/sxRAmHhw. An excerpt from there, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which desyncs the remote when you load it up (and you can't resync them):

• 18:20:16 WiiFatDrive.OpenVolume Opened volume U:\wbfs\New Super Mario Bros. Wii [SMNP01]\SMNP01.wbfs

• 18:20:16 WBFSPartition.OpenFromHandle WBFS partition info

• HDSectorSize = 512 Bytes

• NumHDSectors = 737280

• NumWiiSectors = 11520

• WBFSSectorSize = 2048 KB

• NumWBFSSectors = 180

• WBFSSectorsPerDisc = 4482

• DiscCount = 1

• MaxDiscs = 215

• FreeSpace = 0 MB

• UsedSpace = 360 MB

• TotalSpace = 360 MB

• 18:20:18 WiiDisc.PartitionReadBlock Hash check failed 1095098368/32768

• 18:20:18 WiiDisc.PartitionRead Error reading block 133675/31744

• 18:20:18 WiiDisc.DoDisc Error reading partition 1

• Data partition

• 18:20:18 VerifyDataThread SMNP01 New SUPER MARIO BROS. Wii Fail

Am I all out of luck?

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
I fear that you may have some corrupted/bad sectors on your HDD. I'm not sure you could save them. How old is the drive? It could be that when you tried to partition it, something broke and started to corrupt your files. If that's the case then some, if not all, of your games are lost forever. For example, I know for sure that New Super Mario Bros. Wii is over 3gigabytes in size as a WBFS file, not the 360Mb that is reported above.

yatesl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ripped some replacements that I had, and they're working fine. Definitely seems to be the messing about with partitions.

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I hope nothing else will come up with your HDD. Also, apparently the image you had for NSMB was a scrubbed image. I mistakenly saw it as a full sized image. Silly me...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu