Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_14004.jpg

Nintendo's big Wii U title announcement, Pikmin 3, won't be supporting online multiplayer, according to Shigeru Miyamoto.

In an interview with IGN, Miyamoto explained the difficulties with having online multiplayer for Nintendo's upcoming strategy title. Miyamoto said "in the situation of Pikmin, for example, since you would have lots of individual, small creatures, the Pikmin, whose every movement and location is going to be really important in the game, it would be very difficult to sync up over an internet connection."

Miyamoto, however, stressed that the local co-op would still be present.

Also discussed in the interview was how Pikmin 3 came to be on the Wii U. The title was originally rumored for the original Wii, but Miyamoto said the shift was made due to the abilities of the more powerful hardware. This power would allow plays to see more of the map with a higher resolution. It also allowed for cursor projection for each of your individual Pikmin, making aiming significantly easier. Before finally deciding on the Wii U, versions of the game were also tested on the Wii, DS, and 3DS.

No release date has been announced for Pikmin 3 or the Wii U, but the game is slated for a "launch window" release date and rumors have been circulating of a holiday, possibly November release for the Wii U.

:arrow: Source

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
good, :) well proud of nintendo for not shoving this online multiplayer fad into our games like sony does, it's all about 2 player couch co-op and playing with friends and families instead, which is what nintendo said throughout their E3 conference, that is the main reason i am buying their console.

Reactions: 2 people

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Yet they managed it with the C&C games for over a decade now. Lack of online kills a lot of games for me and nintendo is especially bad for it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good, :) well proud of nintendo for not shoving this online multiplayer fad into our games like sony does, it's all about 2 player couch co-op and playing with friends and families instead, which is what nintendo said throughout their E3 conference, that is the main reason i am buying their console.

How would online multiplayer be "shoved" into a game that already has multiplayer present? All you do is take that and put it online. There's literally no sacrifice there. It's not like they're taking a game that never had multiplayer and shoved it in there for some reason or another.

Reactions: 1 person

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
What? Miyamoto is talking like there haven't been any online RTS's for the last twenty years.

But the Wii U is weak and small compared to the mighty overlords of the PC world.

Yeah the Wii U is so much weaker than a 15 year old pc playing Starcraft online on a dial up connection. What was I thinking.

?_________?

Reactions: 4 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the Wii U is so much weaker than a 15 year old pc playing Starcraft online on a dial up connection. What was I thinking.

?_________?

But Wii U is so weak that it makes N64 look like Playstation 3.

But I'm almost positive that there have been a fair share of online games that had plenty of characters on screen (both playable and non-playable) and there hasn't been many issues.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

?_________?

But Wii U is so weak that it makes N64 look like Playstation 3.

But I'm almost positive that there have been a fair share of online games that had plenty of characters on screen (both playable and non-playable) and there hasn't been many issues.

Seriously if online play doesn't suit the game and it wouldn't complement its style just say that much, its fair enough. Don't make laughable excuses and say that technological limitations are stopping you from implementing online features. Its pathetic.

In 2012.

An age when people can play MMO's on their damn cell phones.

Reactions: 4 people

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't see the point of getting upset that this game doesn't have online. It didn't look like online multiplayer would work very well with it.
Not every game will benefit from online multiplayer.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the point of getting upset that this game doesn't have online. It didn't look like online multiplayer would work very well with it.

How can it not benefit from it? It already has a local multiplayer mode and Nintendo have made big promises on making an online infrastructure that didn't suck big balls. It's not like they're cutting anything for it, it's just an option for people to play it over the 'net.

Like seriously, it's just taking a multiplayer mode they already had and putting it online. It's not a big fucking change.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

Im not upset that the game doesn't have online, I don't actually care that much. Its the reason he gives for why it has no online that I find simply laughable.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't even thinking about online with this game. :unsure:

Well, you had a good run Pikmin 3. Now that the idea of online is in my head, I'm not buying you anymore.
Thanks a lot Guild. /jk

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, did anyone expect online multiplayer?

As awesome as playing a game that requires some strategy with an 8 year old is, i'd pass.

No online multiplayer?
No problem.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Im not upset that the game doesn't have online, I don't actually care that much. Its the reason he gives for why it has no online that I find simply laughable.
I was talking to referring to Guild, personally I didn't see online even being an option when I first saw the game.

How can it not benefit from it? It already has a local multiplayer mode and Nintendo have made big promises on making an online infrastructure that didn't suck big balls. It's not like they're cutting anything for it, it's just an option for people to play it over the 'net.

Like seriously, it's just taking a multiplayer mode they already had and putting it online. It's not a big fucking change.
You just control up to 4 different leaders. Honestly I don't see the point of going online to find 3 other people. I can already see problems like waiting to be part of a group.
Sure there are friend code, but even then, that's if your friends have the game or are online.

Really I think the game would benefit more from offline multiplayer than online.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Miyamoto said "in the situation of Pikmin, for example, since you would have lots of individual, small creatures, the Pikmin, whose every movement and location is going to be really important in the game, it would be very difficult to sync up over an internet connection." Miyamoto, however, stressed that the local co-op would still be present.
I don't see how that would be an issue in online play, but not in local co-op. If it's not a problem in local co-op, it shouldn't be one in online.

Maybe you need to coordinate your actions with the other players, and Nintendo is still refusing to allow voice chat in online games?

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now what would online multiplayer on pikmin even be?
And how successful do you all think it will be?
Lets not destroy the world of single player gaming by expecting everything to have online multiplayer, that's how games become COD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu