No More Gameboy Games On 3DS Virtual Console?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by ElyosOfTheAbyss, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ElyosOfTheAbyss
    OP

ElyosOfTheAbyss GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Have you been wanting a gameboy Pokemon on the 3DS virtual console? Will it looks like we wont be receiving one. When someone on twitter asked Natsume if Tail Gator would be on the 3DS they replied with this:

It looks like Nintendo wont be releasing anymore gameboy virtual console games on the 3DS because they have moved on.

Edit: This is no longer true as Pokemon Red, Blue and yellow was just announced.

Last edited by ElyosOfTheAbyss, Nov 12, 2015
  2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Nintendo hasn't released any VC games on the 3ds in ages. Thank goodness for SEGA at least.

3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it's the wii VC all over again :glare:

4. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Apart from the gen 1 and 2 Pokémon games, I think Nintendo released all their first party games. I've been collecting Gameboy games and almost 90% of them are pure licensed garbage. Maybe Nintendo just can't be bothered spending the time and effort hunting down who owns the rights to a decent but obscure game made over 20 years ago.

How many other Gameboy games do people want that AREN'T on the eshop now?

5. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Moved on to what, exactly? The eShop has been mostly crap for months now. For every one decent 3D Classics release from Sega we get a tonne of blatant Minecraft clones, crappy hidden item games, just shovelware of the highest order. When are they going to start releasing SNES or GBA games? How in the hell have they not released a 3D Classic of the original Starwing (or Starfox to the US) yet? The whole point was that it was one of the first 3D games, how are you not capitalising on it now being possible to have it in actual 3D? And don't tell me that releasing a game on the 3DS eShop stops sales on the WiiU eShop or something. I don't own a WiiU nor do I want one. I won't buy a WiiU just to play old GBA games. I WILL buy old GBA games if they're released on a console I actually own and that dominates the handheld field meaning more people likely own it as well. You can release on both and have people from all console persuasions buy your product, Nintendo. Just a thought.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    or more n64 games

7. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Maybe they are waiting for their next consoles to release more.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    they never would've given us vc pokemon anyway. since they cant make the linking work and if they cant do that, forget it. i think they even said so some time ago

9. Keylogger

Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 3, 2006
    France
    Why didn't they release Pokemon Red/blue VC game ? It's the GB best seller game!

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  10. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I think because they would have to incorporate a way to trade Pokemon, which is a staple for the series. Sure, it can be released as a game purely for the single-player experience (which I kind of want to happen), but it wouldn't be the same.

11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Hamtaro Ham Ham Unite on GBC :c

Friendsxix, VinsCool and HaloEffect17 like this.
  12. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    nintendo: lets spend 1 and half a year of R & D so we can write an emulator that will have 10 games, and nothing else. But lets make sure it has all functions implemented like almost not third party emulator will ever have.

people : omfg this is my childhood nintendo release some more

nintendo: were sorry the hardware cannot do it better

people : wtf?

Margen67 and VinsCool like this.
  13. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    homebrew does what nintendon't.

Margen67 and HaloEffect17 like this.
  14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    This is bullshit.

Back in 2010, the more I learned about the 3DS the more I was excited. Virtual Console? Old games in 3D? Holy shit!

...then it took them years to release borderline decent stuff. They gave up on 3D Virtual Console, they gave up on GBA and SNES virtual console even if the n3DS has been released. Now no more Virtual Console games for the console will be released, and it's a shame. Excluding my 20 ambassador titles, I only have 7 virtual console games I bought because I was VERY interested in playing them on my 3DS. But seeing how little Nintendo cares for the 3DS to become a super handheld, I played a lot more NES/GB/GBC games on my Game Boy Micro. I didn't even know there were games like Pocket Bomberman that are VERY fun to play. If it were for Nintendo, I wouldn't have never known. Fuck my all-in-one utopia, I will just bring my Micro around more often.

By the way, huge kudos to Sega for having pursued their own 3D Classics. I tried Outrun from a friend and it looks amazing.

Margen67 likes this.
  15. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Game that uses anime license, kinda hard to put on VC specially outside Japan.

16. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Dammit Nintendo, you pick Excitebike to give the 3D remaster treatment? You know what would've been awesome. The NES Mario games in 3D.

Also, WHY ARE GAMEBOY GAMES IN MONOCHROME? The Gameboy Donkey Kong can be played in color when plugged into a Super Gameboy but on the 3DS, it's nothing but grey.

Vipera likes this.
  17. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Unfortunately Super Gameboy has a hardware interface with the SNES. For accurate behavior, you need to simultaneously emulate a SNES and a Gameboy.

18. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    You could have colors on Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance though. They sucked, but they were much better than the monochrome solution.

19. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    Nintendo is bipolar, simultaneously risk-taking and risk-adverse. They could have made the virtual console a great piece of a subscription package: buy a VC game and you will own it forever on whatever consoles it is released on at the time of purchase and any future console that it is offered on. Subscribe (say $10 a month) to access all Nintendo games older than a certain date (1-3 years), including VC games.

But instead, the VC is a poorly supported mess. It should be one of its most valuable assets. Nintendo seems to not fully realize how valuable their back-catalog is.

I understand that they are moving development resources to their new console. My hope is that they will implement a permanent ownership and subscription model for their next generation with 100% of their back catalog available for permanent purchase (on the NX and future consoles) or for all you can eat subscription. My fear is they still haven't modernized in this aspect.

ferofax likes this.
  20. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    You know what would've been awesome? If the entire Wii's VC catalogue was available from day one on Wii U. Somehow, I have a dreadful feeling that NX's eshop selection on day one will be slim pickings again.