Hardware No Browser on the Nintendo Switch ? Is this true ?

-pm-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just want to point out: Look at the upper right corner of the screenshot, as tis might be intended to be a notification area with time and battery, showing the current systems state.
You might notice that the Switch is in airplane mode.

Maybe the system hides icons for webbrowser and miiverse when this mode is activated, as they don't make much sense in that mode.

--
Edit:
Scrap that, as eShop is still visible.

--

Offtopic: What I don't get is... when the Switch has an Airplane Mode, which should disable any radio emissions by the device... how then the Joycons are connected to the console? ._.

D

Deleted User

Offtopic: What I don't get is... when the Switch has an Airplane Mode, which should disable any radio emissions by the device... how then the Joycons are connected to the console? ._.
I think thats maybe a wifi switch. It probably doesn't have cellular

-pm-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think thats maybe a wifi switch. It probably doesn't have cellular

What I meant was; the WiiMote was connected via BlueTooth to the console; the Wii U Gamepad was connected via WLAN.
How might the JoyCon be connected, in case this is a airplane mode (by the icon), which should toggle all radio emissions off? (including NFC, PAN (like Bluetooth), WLAN and WAN-Connections - just 'any')

As a developer, I would suggest a different icon for wifi, like those which can be found by searching wifi via google image search.

(and btw: nice pun with 'wifi switch' :D)

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This confuses me, too. In fact - in most of the Switch trailers, they show somebody playing with the controllers in wireless mode ON AN AIRPLANE. I'm pretty sure most airplanes don't allow bluetooth to be used? At least not during most of the flight... Or things have changed a lot since my last flight. (Which is entirely possible - don't most USA flights have WiFi on-board these days?)

Reactions: -pm-

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This confuses me, too. In fact - in most of the Switch trailers, they show somebody playing with the controllers in wireless mode ON AN AIRPLANE. I'm pretty sure most airplanes don't allow bluetooth to be used? At least not during most of the flight... Or things have changed a lot since my last flight. (Which is entirely possible - don't most USA flights have WiFi on-board these days?)
I think his Plane crashed in the Trailer because the Nuclear radiation in the Switch damages the Brain of the Pilot :P

D

Deleted User

Well they are allowing wifi calls to be used on airplanes now days. It's only VERY recent and used in SOME airports

SuicideMoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used my 3DS browser for legit reasons... I most of the time find it easier to suspend the software and quickly searching what I need to right on my 3DS. I have a site that has the businesses' hours in ACNL that I reference more times than I should.

Gnarmagon

Noob <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used my 3DS browser for legit reasons... I most of the time find it easier to suspend the software and quickly searching what I need to right on my 3DS. I have a site that has the businesses' hours in ACNL that I reference more times than I should.
I just want a Browser because Nintendo tends to mess up with the Browser and it's a awesome/ez entrypoint ^^

shani ace

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
LOL, when was that? In the last 8-10 years, I could always use my Bluetooth headset on planes.
It doesn't matter anyway, since it's proven for many years (could be a decade as well) that wireless signals don't mess with the plane's electronics anyway. This restriction is a relic from a time when people had no knowledge whatsoever and just prohibited it because they panicked. Because the airlines didn't want to risk a plane crash, even if the possibility was <0,000001%. And as always with big companies, they are terribly slow in adapting to modern standards, so it took them ages to realize that there is a zero chance of a plane crash caused by mobile phones etc.
So don't worry about the joy-cons. ^^

I just want a Browser because Nintendo tends to mess up with the Browser
Actually, the Wii U's browser was excellent, a really potent one. I never would've expected Nintendo to deliver such a mighty browser. Sure, there were some exploits, but that's bound to happen when you develop an internet browser, so I wouldn't call that messing up.
It would be a shame if the Switch had no browser, that's just a must-have feature on any device with internet access (hello PS4, I'm looking at you!). I used the Wii U's browser pretty often and the only thing I was missing was screen rotation (for reading comics in portrait mode)!

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Yeah, if no good browser like on WiiU, then it would be hacked through phone (that's very possible)

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cellphones (and especially wifi/bluetooth from a switch) won't really affect planes or their instrumentation in any meaningful way. It's probably still done just do that so folks will pay attention to the safety stuff. And then they let you do electronic stuff after you reach a certain altitude (after safety stuff, etc).

For those who don't know, bluetooth, wifi, GPS, cell-phone signals, your car radio, over-air tv, visible light, etc. are all part of the electromagnetic spectrum. bluetooth, wifi, gps, etc., are part of the "radio" section of the spectrum (and microwave, but imma simplify), and are standardized in their frequency range to maximize distance, availability, and to avoid conflicting signals.

There *is* potential for "intermodulation", where radio signals from different spectrums interact to cause spikes in new frequency ranges, which might, maybe, affect things like gps and distance-measuring equipment. And that apparently happens, but probably doesn't do much? No incidents have been reported because of it, and we all know people use their cellphone on planes when asked not to. Either way, that's just cell-phone. I'm not sure if bluetooth would cause the same effect.

I'm rambling now. Here's an article that talks a little bit about this:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/405637/can-cell-phones-on-planes-be-dangerous/

SuicideMoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the switch does have an internet browser, I personally see it being a downloadable app from the eShop instead of being part of the system nand so they wouldn't have to update the entire system firmware to update the browser... Now I don't know how that'd work with multitasking

Sometimes you just gotta look inside yourself, contemplate all the decisions you've made, and think about how nice your life has been so far.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By fcc law only wifi and cellular based communications needs to be disabled in airplan mode. You can reable blu tooth on most modern smartsphones after enabling airplane mode w/o disabling airplane mode.

SuicideMoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By fcc law only wifi and cellular based communications needs to be disabled in airplan mode. You can reable blu tooth on most modern smartsphones after enabling airplane mode w/o disabling airplane mode.
You can also re-enable Wi-Fi after enabling airplane mode! How else are you supposed to connect to planes with built in Wi-Fi?

Sometimes you just gotta look inside yourself, contemplate all the decisions you've made, and think about how nice your life has been so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back