Hardware No Browser on the Nintendo Switch ? Is this true ?

D

Deleted User

There's no need to have a browser on the Switch when a smartphone is required for all online content anyway, and smartphones already have browsers built in.

;O;
But it's most convenient when you want to look up something about a game or just something without pulling out your phone, just pressing the home button and browser button.

I honestly found no problem with the Wii U browser

Reactions: SonicCloud

RealityNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's no need to have a browser on the Switch when a smartphone is required for all online content anyway, and smartphones already have browsers built in.

;O;
A browser is only needed on the switch if you want to use a public wifi network (you have to use the browser to accept the terms & conditions, to have access to the Internet).

Reactions: -pm-

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
A browser is only needed on the switch if you want to use a public wifi network (you have to use the browser to accept the terms & conditions, to have access to the Internet).
True, but how much of a web browser is needed for those? And wouldn't you still need to set up a connection to even get to that ToS and such? Just thinking that you'd do that in Internet Settings, and they may have some option to pull up a minimalist page for logging in and/or accepting terms.

RealityNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
France
True, but how much of a web browser is needed for those? And wouldn't you still need to set up a connection to even get to that ToS and such? Just thinking that you'd do that in Internet Settings, and they may have some option to pull up a minimalist page for logging in and/or accepting terms.
Yeah, nintendo will tell us "you can use your smartphone, and share the connection." (4G -> wifi -> switch).
LOL!

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, nintendo will tell us "you can use your smartphone, and share the connection." (4G -> wifi -> switch).
LOL!
Well, maybe not to that extreme. But, if a smartphone were to be used, could it possibly handle the initial handshake between the Switch and open networks? We already know it can communicate with it (Parental Controls, services like voice chat, etc).

RealityNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, maybe not to that extreme. But, if a smartphone were to be used, could it possibly handle the initial handshake between the Switch and open networks? We already know it can communicate with it (Parental Controls, services like voice chat, etc).
Yep! It will be a part of the online service of the switch XD

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then that would work out nicely.
I know nintendo will keep the browser close to there chest since its normally an east entry point for homebrew.
If they did route the handshake to a smart phone for free wifi that would be pretty cool.
If not then most people wont be able to use the free wifi areas and Nintendo will get alot of hell for it.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
this would be wack as fa*k if they really do not include a browser app.

i love browser on my wii u , for instance i often use it to watch some animu on kissanime.

i do the same with my ps4, i think the pic in the op. maybe is just some preview build of its OS.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure there will be a browser at some point.
Based on leaks, the system will have a very simple browser applet, but only really for signing in to open networks and if a game dev wants the game to open a browser for any reason. It will be extremely stripped down. But again those are just leaks, so they should be taken with a grain of salt.
But depending on how that applet can launch (if the leak is even true) it may give the potential to exploit, but we'll have to wait and see. I personally hope some of the talented exploiters working on the Wii U and 3ds start looking into the switch. Based on a new URL put up by WiiUBru they already seem interested in it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it has no browser at all nor is one being added
There are NO plans to provide an Internet Browser at this stage but developers are able to access a web applet to display specific websites within their game/app
source

so you guys will need to get a hold of that web applet. hehehe good luck :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

source
Yeah, but @TheCyberQuake is correct in that it will have some way of handling stuff like public wi-fi login pages (applet). I think it'll be basically impossible to get it to direct to any other web pages, and it probably won't have the ability to display other pages anyway.

Reactions: isanchez

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

source

so you guys will need to get a hold of that web applet. hehehe good luck :P
web applet != web browser. The applet will only load a specific page, and won't allow you to just browse whatever you want, ie a web browser. Though as stated above it's just a rumor from a leak, it could be inaccurate.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
web applet != web browser. The applet will only load a specific page, and won't allow you to just browse whatever you want, ie a web browser. Though as stated above it's just a rumor from a leak, it could be inaccurate.
If this is true , im sure that this will open Nintendo page :(.
Probably if a browser doesn't comes for Switch , devs could try and use other things the system has. But sadly , that would take a lot of time.

Or probably devs modify something in the Web Applet in order to launch another page (that could be an exploit page) . The again , this rumor of the Web Applet is not true or fake , so we should wait until March 3

Last edited by SonicCloud,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is true , im sure that this will open Nintendo page :(.
Probably if a browser doesn't comes for Switch , devs could try and use other things the system has. But sadly , that would take a lot of time.

Or probably devs modify something in the Web Applet in order to launch another page (that could be an exploit page) . The again , this rumor of the Web Applet is not true or fake , so we should wait until March 3
Remember one of the original exploits on the 3ds was from within the system settings app. Having no browser will make it harder, but not necessarily impossible.

Edit: Plus I remember using the youtube app to navigate to a webpage and run an exploit like that (mainly when tubehax wasn't triggering automatically for some reason). So there could always be an exploit even on the web applet if a dev links to a page that we can direct elsewhere.
Actually thinking about that, if we can do something like tubehax to redirect a games use of the web applet to our own page, we could in theory use that to launch and exploit.
Or better yet just set up our own hacked routers to cause the system to pull up the applet to sign in to the router, but then it really just loads an exploit page. How feasible that actually is, well I don't know. But it's a neat idea anyway.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This just in: Nintendo prohibits you from configuring your own DNS settings
/s

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: SonicCloud

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Drug Mule Bot roll out!