Nintendo’s Iwata: Wii U Online Structure To Be Flexible To Dev

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like this, I hope the devs will be creative and invent interesting things since they have the option to. Maybe it also means no more FCs? Because if they can do with it what they want, chances they may not include them at all or create something new for the game, like an online room where you can meet up with people (although that wouldn't be so safe according to Ninty's standards), new system of adding friends and so on.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The Wii U looks very promising (the online)

Facebook on it? Yum
nyanya.gif

Give me 3DS Wii U connectivity and I'm sold.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this news, but I really wish they wised up sooner and did this with the 3DS. People would have been able to wait a month or two to ditch friend codes.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like, Nintendo is saying each game will have their own login rather than just one account/gamertag to cover all games. I didn't know the WiiU was going to be a PC.

Guzzie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This a thin veil for mediocrity. Microsoft and Sony provide really straightforward ways to take the games online with Live & PSN. Nintendo provides very little. In the name of "flexibility" Nintendo will likely deliver another half-baked attempt at online gaming. I would rather they tout a "fully-featured" online because I have doubts over the sincerity of Iwata's comments.

How long have we been clamoring for proper online play now?

D

Deleted_171835

I dislike this. Nintendo should have a more rigid online system.
With a lax system like this in place, games will have a number of different online structures and rather than having one central gamertag or friend-code, you'll be forced to sort through a whole bunch of different codes for each game.

It's silly that even now (3DS), Nintendo still hasn't managed to make a good online system while its competitors did it right from the beginning.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanveer said:
Slyakin said:
Whoa, so this means that we'll see decent online?

Holy fuck, what happened Nintendo?
About time?
tongue.gif

I remember playing Budokai Tenkaichi 3(or whatever DBZ game that was
tongue.gif
) on the Wii and online was literally at 10% speed of the game or even worse.
Before I knew it, I lost the match lol.
Not sure if the problem was with ATARI or Nintendo's server. Nevertheless, I hope we dont experience something like that in the next gen
tongue.gif
That game would have been SO much more popular if the online was good. But it sucked. I wonder if people will play it again once the Wii U is released.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
bad.

since certain devs might make their online access pay to play...or require a bullshit "online pass"
I don't think it can go that far. Nintendo probably has strict control on that part.

I thought Nintendo commented a while ago saying that they regretted having a free online service.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supersm...online-miyamoto

(after the Kane and Lynch conspiracy I don't like them either...but its what Miyamoto said)
"Probably the other thing that we are desperate to realize is the core [online] business structure," Miyamoto said. "Do we need to demand customers pay monthly fees to enjoy online activities? Or give an online subscription that is free of charge, but then offer something extra for people that pay, so that they get some extra value? With these core business strategies, I think we are less active than we should be."

which means. we should have got on the monetizing bandwagon and started charging for online access in some sort of way like everyone else has been doing earlier..and we should be putting these strategies in action

iMythD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jamielollback.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, Developers often want to have their online play their way, this is really going to be good for everyone. As we have seen, restricting things too much always causes problems. So a little freedom can go a long way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30