Hacking Nintendont

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
On a different note, and sorry for the double post, I have a question for those who have played Twin Snakes with nintendont up to the second disc, spoilers ahead for those who haven't played the original game or this one.

How did you manage the fight with Psycho mantis? In the psx version I had to plug the controller into the 2nd slot; but I read that for the GC remake, you need to plug it in the fourth port. And that's not possible to do at this point with a HID controller; did you use an original Wii?

Too bad I'll miss some fun details in the game due to nintendont having only one game per memory card. Unless it's possible to add other saves to it using dolphin's MC manager if there's space left, I might try that later.

that is a funny question lol i guess the only way is to be on the original wii that suports GC controlls and switch the gamecube controller since on the wiiu the hid cant change position by itself

Reactions: JnL_SSBM

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
PS2 controller also has 4 more buttons. Surely you could map one of them to either trigger R2 and L2 to be registered as half pressed, or map the half pressed L or R to like R3 or L3?

I think that would require that the devs hardcode a "half-press" value to the triggers in PADReadHID.c if DigitalLR is 1 and AnalogR/AnalogL have an offset other than 0 in the controller.ini; as it is now it simply ignores those lines and hard-codes the fullpress, so it wouldn't do anything to map them to other buttons without this change. I don't think it's too hard to do but would need a couple of new variables to be defined.

Edit: I think in any HID controller there's either the R2 or L2 unused because you only need Z, L and R; so maybe it's possible to add a SoftPress to the controller.ini, and a new variable to the code. That way nintendont could check if you're holding L2, for example, to use as a flag to set L or R to something other than 255 while holding either of them.

that is a funny question lol i guess the only way is to be on the original wii that suports GC controlls and switch the gamecube controller since on the wiiu the hid cant change position by itself

It's not only the WiiU though, but the Wii Family Edition as well. If nintendont had support for "reconnecting" a controller, it would be possible to get around this, maybe.

It would require a hack for Twin Snakes (as it's the only one I remember that needs it) that swapped the controller from the first slot to the fourth slot and viceversa with each "unplug and plug again" in the same port.

Would this be possible FIX94 , Howard ? you're the ones that have worked more in controller related stuff. And I don't mean "will you do it?", just asking if the idea itself is even doable at all. It's okay even if it isn't, I think there's another way to go through that part in the game.

Reactions: JnL_SSBM

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Chibi-robo 1.69 loads fine and starts new game and everything but freezes when loading from old save
well i played chibi robo until i could save after the rose, botted it up just now and it loaded perfectly try again? im using NTSC version discex

Anyone not following the compat list some games that black screened are now working atleast on 1.69 like :

Harry Potter sorcerer/philosopher stone
harry potter chamber of secrets
hitman 2 silent assassin
turok evolution

probably more.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
i had noticed the list has been updated alot since a couple nights ago. its incredible how much is being accomplished in this thread. respect to the working devs on this

WiiFreasko

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
well i played chibi robo until i could save after the rose, botted it up just now and it loaded perfectly try again? im using NTSC version discex

Anyone not following the compat list some games that black screened are now working atleast on 1.69 like :

Harry Potter sorcerer/philosopher stone
harry potter chamber of secrets
hitman 2 silent assassin
turok evolution

probably more.

I tried a second time,
created a new game then reset then loaded the old save and now it works!

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me the folder set up for save files and cache.txt for nintendont? I understand the save files have to be raw saves, but I don't see where exactly on my usb to put them, or the cache files.

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a different note, and sorry for the double post, I have a question for those who have played Twin Snakes with nintendont up to the second disc, spoilers ahead for those who haven't played the original game or this one.

How did you manage the fight with Psycho mantis? In the psx version I had to plug the controller into the 2nd slot; but I read that for the GC remake, you need to plug it in the fourth port. And that's not possible to do at this point with a HID controller; did you use an original Wii?

Too bad I'll miss some fun details in the game due to nintendont having only one game per memory card. Unless it's possible to add other saves to it using dolphin's MC manager if there's space left, I might try that later.

I added your suggestion in the spoiler to the wiki. I don't think anyone will get upset over something like that. And that's besides the point due to the fact that we have to let the devs know something about it despite if a fix is possible.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can someone tell me the folder set up for save files and cache.txt for nintendont? I understand the save files have to be raw saves, but I don't see where exactly on my usb to put them, or the cache files.

Saves are located in usb:/saves, or sd:/saves as <first four letters of Game ID>.raw (example, Ikaruga, GIKE70, is at /saves/GIKE.raw. Cache files should be named cache.txt, and go in /games/<your game id or folder name here>/, same place as your ISOs. Nintendont automatically creates a new 2 MByte memory card image for every game, the first time you play it, if memory card emulation is enabled. Then games will ask you to format them since they're new (just go ahead and say yes, it's writing data to the raw file).

pokeparadox

Trophies
XP
Country
I've experienced crashes with 1.69 for Super Mario Sunshine (U) and R : Racing (U)
Both seem to be when it's loading the memory card.... It just locks up and has the constant garbage sound.

I'm putting it here as I would like to see if anyone else is having problems before editing the wiki.

Also Regarding the psycho mantis and him knowing which games you've been playing with his powers, it should be feasible to detect that MGS is running and in this case create a list of saved titles from the saves folder at startup and provide the game with this when Psycho Mantis does his thing?

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I've experienced crashes with 1.69 for Super Mario Sunshine (U) and R : Racing (U)
Both seem to be when it's loading the memory card.... It just locks up and has the constant garbage sound.

I'm putting it here as I would like to see if anyone else is having problems before editing the wiki.

Also Regarding the psycho mantis and him knowing which games you've been playing with his powers, it should be feasible to detect that MGS is running and in this case create a list of saved titles from the saves folder at startup and provide the game with this when Psycho Mantis does his thing?

I got Sunshine to try and fix a cache.txt from daxtsu's repository since it would try to cache over 200mb and hang up on nintendont load screen; but aside from that, I didn't have any crashes while testing it without a cache.txt.. It does take too long to load though.

As for Psycho Mantis' powers, I still have to reach that point the game to test my theory, but I think it's possible (and way easier) to use Dolphin's MC Manager to transfer the saves to MGS's memory card. From what I see, each GameID.raw has 246 blocks to store the saves, so using a couple of them to keep the extra saves should be possible.

I added your suggestion in the spoiler to the wiki. I don't think anyone will get upset over something like that. And that's besides the point due to the fact that we have to let the devs know something about it despite if a fix is possible.

After a bit of research I found out there IS an alternative way to beat that fight. The creators of the game must have had every possible scenario in their mind to include a method that works if you have some problem with the 2nd controller (in the original for psx). I'll put the method in a spoiler here, and then add a link to this post in the wiki.

Apparently, if you call the Coronel a few times he'll tell you how to beat Psycho Mantis (the controller swap method), then if you die without doing the swap and choose to continue, you can call him again and he'll tell you of another method that is shooting a couple of statues in the room. It seems you can't do this unless you die, though. sources

pokeparadox

Trophies
XP
Country
I got Sunshine to try and fix a cache.txt from daxtsu's repository since it would try to cache over 200mb and hang up on nintendont load screen; but aside from that, I didn't have any crashes while testing it without a cache.txt.. It does take too long to load though.

As for Psycho Mantis' powers, I still have to reach that point the game to test my theory, but I think it's possible (and way easier) to use Dolphin's MC Manager to transfer the saves to MGS's memory card. From what I see, each GameID.raw has 246 blocks to store the saves, so using a couple of them to keep the extra saves should be possible.

Thanks for that, I think I have the same cache.txt... so may be what is casuing the crash in that case.

And yes that sound like it would work, but would still be nice if Nintendon't could handle this all by itself (if feasible.)

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for that, I think I have the same cache.txt... so may be what is casuing the crash in that case.

And yes that sound like it would work, but would still be nice if Nintendon't could handle this all by itself (if feasible.)

You should delete the cache for that game if you have it, from what I've seen, there's no way to improve Mario Sunshine with a cache because of the limited memory of the console. The worst moments of the game are when there are movies (the intro, starting the game, finding FLUDD, the tutorial.. etc.) and all of them are way over the size we have available for caching; and since the game itself has a good speed, there's no reason to create a cache with the other smaller files.

I'm surprised no one thought of adding a note in the wiki warning about the long waits when it's loading a video, unless it's something new.

bobthebigbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zelda the Wind Waker has some corrupt sound FX with r69 (Progress select screen and several in game SFX). Don't know when it started as the last version I was using was r55. (I deleted config file when I updated.) - Using original Wii with PS3 HID.

Nevermind, after restarting it 3 times (with sound issue), then loading Pikmin (no sound issue), then Loading Zelda again the problem was gone.

Spoke to soon... no problem with the sound any more, but I am having random freezing (it locks up) - it runs OK a little longer every time I restart.
I've had it crash every time (3 for 3) just playing through the opening demo videos (don't touch the controller on the title screen). On r55 I've played for many hours straight without any problems.

Is it perhaps an issue with Caching? Can a setting be added to Enable/Disable the automatic caching, just in case (would help to troubleshoot).

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Zelda the Wind Waker has some corrupt sound FX with r69 (Progress select screen and several in game SFX). Don't know when it started as the last version I was using was r55. (I deleted config file when I updated.)

Nevermind, after restarting it 3 times (with sound issue), then loading Pikmin (no sound issue), then Loading Zelda again the problem was gone.

Spoke to soon... no problem with the sound any more, but I am having random freezing (it locks up) - it runs OK a little longer every time I restart.
I've had it crash every time (3 for 3) just playing through the opening demo videos (don't touch the controller on the title screen). On r55 I've played for many hours straight without any problems.

Is it perhaps an issue with Caching? Can a setting be added to Enable/Disable Caching, just in case (would help to troubleshoot).

I haven't tried myself but... maybe having an empty cache.txt would override the auto-cache that FIX94 added to nintendont. If that doesn't work, you can always try reverting back to r66, that's the revision previous to that change.

bobthebigbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't tried myself but... maybe having an empty cache.txt would override the auto-cache that FIX94 added to nintendont. If that doesn't work, you can always try reverting back to r66, that's the revision previous to that change.
I've gone back to r66 - so far so good, but I'll have to put some hours into it to be sure.

As a side note, can anyone explain what the loader is doing during "Init CARD"?
When I change versions and delete the config file the next time I load a game it stops at Init CARD for several minutes. (I have the App on SD and everything else on USB as my SD is sloooooow.
Does Init card do anything with the SD? I notice the USB HDD light flashing while it sits at Init CARD.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Zelda the Wind Waker has some corrupt sound FX with r69 (Progress select screen and several in game SFX). Don't know when it started as the last version I was using was r55. (I deleted config file when I updated.) - Using original Wii with PS3 HID.

Is it perhaps an issue with Caching? Can a setting be added to Enable/Disable the automatic caching, just in case (would help to troubleshoot).

ppl were having sound issues and freezes on v1.69 because they didnt delete the nintendont created files often so try to delete your nconfig.bin created by nintendont on the root of the sd/usb and try it again

WiiFreasko

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
imho the nincfg.bin should be deleted automatically when the loader is launching the game.
the presence of autoboot option in the nincfg file makes nintendont load the same game if ppl lack razor sharp reflexes to press "B" on time, beside causing the weird issues ppl are reporting.
In case ppl love this autoboot option and want nintendont to play the same game "ALL THE TIME" it's better they make a custom autoboot forwarder instead of torturing everybody else.
As for the other options like mcemu/widescreen/progressive/language... they can be saved to an ini file like in dm-booter.
Freasko

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
imho the nincfg.bin should be deleted automatically when the loader is launching the game.
the presence of autoboot option in the nincfg file makes nintendont load the same game if ppl lack razor sharp reflexes to press "B" on time, beside causing the weird issues ppl are reporting.
In case ppl love this autoboot option and want nintendont to play the same game "ALL THE TIME" it's better they make a custom autoboot forwarder instead of torturing everybody else.
As for the other options like mcemu/widescreen/progressive/language... they can be saved to an ini file like in dm-booter.
Freasko

Autoboot is only enabled if YOU choose to enable it. So I don't see your point, if you don't like it, then disable it in the settings of your loader. Because when loading from HBC, autoboot won't enable itself.

Reactions: jammybudga777

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.