Hacking Nintendont

Bracket

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Can anyone confirm that USB HID controllers work with Luigi's Mansion? I decided to try out Nintendont for the first time today but I'm unable to get my PS2 controller to work.
Luigi's Mansion is the only game I have access to right now since my other GCN games are buried at the back of my closet

Version: 1.44 (tested 1.26 too)
SD or USB?: SD
meta.xml: Copy pasted from svn
controller.ini: Copy pasted from svn and renamed properly

I tested the controller.ini using HIDtestv6 and all the buttons are mapped correctly from what I can tell. And yes, I made sure to enable analog.

JnL_SSBM

Experienced
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSBM with file caching, occasionally freeze when/while saving, and reset button does not work when frozen.

Edit: Control stick has slight lags while/after saving on 1.44; Compatibility updated!

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can anyone confirm that USB HID controllers work with Luigi's Mansion? I decided to try out Nintendont for the first time today but I'm unable to get my PS2 controller to work.
Luigi's Mansion is the only game I have access to right now since my other GCN games are buried at the back of my closet

Version: 1.44 (tested 1.26 too)
SD or USB?: SD
meta.xml: Copy pasted from svn
controller.ini: Copy pasted from svn and renamed properly

I tested the controller.ini using HIDtestv6 and all the buttons are mapped correctly from what I can tell. And yes, I made sure to enable analog.

What exactly doesn't work with the PS2 controller? mf3199 wasasking me about a similar situation saying his R button wouldn't trigger while playing that game, but it would work fine in any other game. Maybe there's something going on with the game due to the recent updates in nintendont?

It's been a while since I tested Luigi's Mansion so I'll update my nintendont version later and test it with my controller (though it's not PS2, but if mine works, that would help narrowing the cause)

Bracket

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What exactly doesn't work with the PS2 controller? mf3199 wasasking me about a similar situation saying his R button wouldn't trigger while playing that game, but it would work fine in any other game. Maybe there's something going on with the game due to the recent updates in nintendont?

It's been a while since I tested Luigi's Mansion so I'll update my nintendont version later and test it with my controller (though it's not PS2, but if mine works, that would help narrowing the cause)
I'm unable to get past the "Press Start" screen when the game first loads, so I'm assuming all buttons or whatever ones are required to get past that screen aren't registering.

Here's all the files on my SD card related to Nintendont with the directory structure preserved and the ISO removed: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/605ed391
And here's the debug log: http://paste.debian.net/hidden/9c7de917/

FWIW, Nintendont doesn't report any problems with the HID when starting the game. It just prints "Initialize HID device ...Done!" or something like that. Nothing to indicate there was a problem.

Edit: I forgot to post what adapter I'm using. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-PS2-PSX-to-PC-USB-Dual-Controller-Adapter-Converter-/170854914674
The first port works just fine with HIDTest, but HIDTest doesn't detect anything when I try to use the second one.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm unable to get past the "Press Start" screen when the game first loads, so I'm assuming all buttons or whatever ones are required to get past that screen aren't registering.

Here's all the files on my SD card related to Nintendont with the directory structure preserved and the ISO removed: http://www.datafilehost.com/d/605ed391
And here's the debug log: http://paste.debian.net/hidden/9c7de917/

FWIW, Nintendont doesn't report any problems with the HID when starting the game. It just prints "Initialize HID device ...Done!" or something like that. Nothing to indicate there was a problem.

Edit: I forgot to post what adapter I'm using. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS1-PS2-PSX-to-PC-USB-Dual-Controller-Adapter-Converter-/170854914674
The first port works just fine with HIDTest, but HIDTest doesn't detect anything when I try to use the second one.

Have you tried deleting the lines MultiIn and MultiInValue? You could also try changing PollType to 0, though usually only ps3 controllers need that. But it's worth a try if the game isn't registering the controller and you've tried more than one revision of nintendont with the same results.

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I enable game saves? I am trying to play Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart DD. Thanks.

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In nintendont loader, after selecting SD or USB, press B button on game list, and change "memory card emulation" from off to on.

Edit: oups, too late :P

Thank you fore the more detailed explanation. This world needs more people like you :D

Bracket

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried deleting the lines MultiIn and MultiInValue? You could also try changing PollType to 0, though usually only ps3 controllers need that. But it's worth a try if the game isn't registering the controller and you've tried more than one revision of nintendont with the same results.
I figured out what it was. I didn't realize Nintendont didn't automatically load the controller.ini and initialize the HID.
I also thought it was automatically booting my ISO since it was the the only I had, but it turns out you have to quickly tap the A button or else it spams A and loads whatever the first game is on your SD/USB.
Can the OP please mention this in the post? I don't see any mention of this anywhere.

It'd be nice if the developers advertised that there's a configuration menu on the start screen and fixed the button spam.

Thanks for your help, faku1810.

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it depends on who... By the way, does nintendont works well for you?

So far so good. The only problem is the long loading times at the start of the game and most cut-scenes/videos lag. I have only tested Mario Kart and SM Sunshine. I'm hoping that a 500gb hdd will fix most of these issues :ha:

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So far so good. The only problem is the long loading times at the start of the game and most cut-scenes/videos lag. I have only tested Mario Kart and SM Sunshine. I'm hoping that a 500gb hdd will fix most of these issues :ha:

It is normal for now, nintendont is still a work in progress. Many issues may be fixed in the future. Were you playing from an sd card? or a hdd? a usb hdd is faster.

Reactions: Oishikatta

Oak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is normal for now, nintendont is still a work in progress. Many issues may be fixed in the future. Were you playing from an sd card? or a hdd? a usb hdd is faster.

I am playing with the same 2gb SD card I used to unlock my vWii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk