Hacking Nintendont

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just go with what works is all I can say for anyone having trouble. I'm pretty sure I'm using an outdated version of nintendont, but everything works as it should, so I see no reason to update.it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
just go with what works is all I can say for anyone having trouble. I'm pretty sure I'm using an outdated version of nintendont, but everything works as it should, so I see no reason to update.it.
the only people that need to update it are people that use vwii vc inject on a wiiu with hid controllers like gc adapter from wiiu, since the latest release will freeze, besides that you are right there is little reason to update.

Reactions: geoGolem

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sure, HID devices being plugged in freezing the whole wii u is not a big deal I guess..

Besides, Nintendont is one the best piece of software the wii and wii u scene has ever seen. To see it go down like this, it's just sad.

Last edited by Mamothstard,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using the gc adapter if you mean the one that plugs into the wiimote. I've been using that with the controller fix by @FIX94 for mega man anniversary collection (they really fucked up the controller scheme in that game). that does work, but it's not a vc inject.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been using the gc adapter if you mean the one that plugs into the wiimote. I've been using that with the controller fix by @FIX94 for mega man anniversary collection (they really fucked up the controller scheme in that game). that does work, but it's not a vc inject.
no that is not the gc adapter , the wiiu gc adapter has 2 usb ports and connects to the consoles usb ports not to the wiimote.

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not HID. We're talking wii u gamecube controller adapter to usb. If plugged in you get a system crash on Nintendont startup. You have to unplug and plug it back while ingame. Or use an older version of the software.

Most people delving into wii u homebrew nowadays don't have the knowledge to go back a couple of commits and use an older version.
It's just not practical.

Just look at any guide using teconmoon's injector and you'll see some say that they get a blackscreen and don't even know why.

I made a guide just yesterday addressing just that issue. But it's going to be buried in the forum for sure.
Not ideal.

GaryOderNichts

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@geoGolem @pedro702 Oh yeah, I'm aware of the github PR and issues. I'm SubSystemD on GitHub btw ^^

I think everybody here tried at some point to get in touch with @FIX94. If he wanted to answer I think he'd have done that by now.
@GaryOderNichts has also done a fork for himself with quite a few changes and fixes.

I think FIX94 won't mind if we try to fix things.

Since you have the rights on the original github page, subsequent follow-up is a good thing so the project lives on.
Those patches are rather dirty and I'd clean them up before they belong into the main repo.
I tried to get in touch with FIX94 but he seems pretty "dead".

Reactions: Mamothstard

cimerio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean the screen where I select the gamecube game (list). in that screen, the original gamecube controller works. but after start the choosen game, doesn't work more.
I am runnind at WII , with HomeBrew (nintendond)

Edit. I clicked in Quote your message, but nothing happened.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean the screen where I select the gamecube game (list). in that screen, the original gamecube controller works. but after start the choosen game, doesn't work more.
I am runnind at WII , with HomeBrew (nintendond)

Edit. I clicked in Quote your message, but nothing happened.

you have to click "insert quotes" in the box after selecting quote or multi-quote.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you can also hit "reply" which will quote that one post by default.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Since FIX94 never answered and his been more than a year i pushed a new version of nintendont to version 490 it has the solutions GaryOderNichts found and used on his fork, this is a solution for the time being, if fix94 ever returns he is free to change whatever he wants back, i wont be doing anymore changes unless someone finds a critical bug.

if anyone wants to update the link https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/blob/master/loader/loader.dol?raw=true just rename to boot.dol and replace.

cimerio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since FIX94 never answered and his been more than a year i pushed a new version of nintendont to version 490 it has the solutions GaryOderNichts found and used on his fork, this is a solution for the time being, if fix94 ever returns he is free to change whatever he wants back, i wont be doing anymore changes unless someone finds a critical bug.

if anyone wants to update the link https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/blob/master/loader/loader.dol?raw=true just rename to boot.dol and replace.
It's need to rewrite the meta.xml file?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi pedro702, thanks for the update. Do you know why this wasn't took into consideration?
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/492
If you look all the information about that Triforce game you will see that is called wrong in Nintendont. Could you put the fix for the name? These names are hardcoded in the .dol so it's just change it for the right name.

the reason is simple to not confuse with the regular gc release called virtua striker 2002 ...

you want triforce game and regular gc game having the same exact name on the game list? then people wouldnt know what they are picking at all

the usa version of the retail virtua striker 2002 is already used by the usa disc so triforce support on nintendont came after it so fix94 decided to give it a diferent name so people could diferenciate.

Virtua Striker 2002 GC
Original
eng.png
-USA

W.png
Virtua Striker 2002 TRIFORCE 1.005 Original

it makes no sense you wanting to confuse people over some shenanigans really.

Last edited by pedro702,

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Can confirm it works. Thank you! :yayu:

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
the reason is simple to not confuse with the regular gc release called virtua striker 2002 ...

you want triforce game and regular gc game having the same exact name on the game list? then people wouldnt know what they are picking at all

the usa version of the retail virtua striker 2002 is already used by the usa disc so triforce support on nintendont came after it so fix94 decided to give it a diferent name so people could diferenciate.

Virtua Striker 2002 GC
Original
eng.png
-USA

W.png
Virtua Striker 2002 TRIFORCE 1.005 Original

it makes no sense you wanting to confuse people over some shenanigans really.
Well, doing it that way you are not avoiding the problem and you are naming wrong the Triforce game, because japan users and european users have the problem of having the 2 games with the same name as the GC release of this game is called Virtua Striker 3 Ver. 2002 in Europe and Japan...
16108185-item-big-GC-VIRTUAS2-A-1.jpg

61831--virtua-striker-3-ver-2002.png

Then, the best solution would be to not have this names hardcoded in the emulator so the users could edit the name in the names folder as with the GameCube games... Or what can we do?

Mamothstard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then, the best solution would be to not have this names hardcoded in the emulator so the users could edit the name in the names folder as with the GameCube games... Or what can we do?
That's not happening. I can see someone patching the game's name, though. Still, it's a minor hindrance.

Also Nintendont is not an emulator.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, doing it that way you are not avoiding the problem and you are naming wrong the Triforce game, because japan users and european users have the problem of having the 2 games with the same name as the GC release of this game is called Virtua Striker 3 Ver. 2002 in Europe and Japan...

i know pal and jap version has that name that is the reason fix94 choose the name.

nintendont only uses a single name for any release be it pal/usa/jap and its the USA name for all so no one will see exclusive pal names on nintendont, only if a game has no usa name it goes to pal and if no pal goes to jap that is how fix94 decided the naming.

Any European or Japanese person that puts the pal/jap version of the game on nintendont wont see that name and it will just see the usa name Virtua striker 2002 because nintendont uses ntsc names first if there is a release for it.

So again there will be no confusion since pal names dont appear at all on the game list and instead usa names of any release are the choosen ones.

So no no one will take out the games hardcoded names just because you dont like the naming convention.
so if they have that game and the triforce equivalent they will see the pal version/jap named virtua striker 2002 and the triforce version named virtua striker 3 ver 2002 so they still see 2 different names, they will never see the same name for different games.

Last edited by pedro702,
Reactions: Mamothstard

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wouldn't renaming the GameCube titles in your loaders custon-title.txt file handle what you are looking to do?

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i know pal and jap version has that name that is the reason fix94 choose the name.

nintendont only uses a single name for any release be it pal/usa/jap and its the USA name for all so no one will see exclusive pal names on nintendont, only if a game has no usa name it goes to pal and if no pal goes to jap that is how fix94 decided the naming.

Any European or Japanese person that puts the pal/jap version of the game on nintendont wont see that name and it will just see the usa name Virtua striker 2002 because nintendont uses ntsc names first if there is a release for it.

So again there will be no confusion since pal names dont appear at all on the game list and instead usa names of any release are the choosen ones.

So no no one will take out the games hardcoded names just because you dont like the naming convention.
so if they have that game and the triforce equivalent they will see the pal version/jap named virtua striker 2002 and the triforce version named virtua striker 3 ver 2002 so they still see 2 different names, they will never see the same name for different games.
Okay, I understand your point, but anyway it's not the real name of the game and to use another name just because the GameCube release has the same name doesn't make too much sense. I know this is nothing major but just wanted to know the reason. In any case it would make more sense to use Virtua Strike 3 Ver.2002 to the GameCube release and Virtua Strike 2002 to the Triforce game, there is no Triforce game called Virtua Striker 3, so it's very confused to name it like that. Virtua Striker 3 was released for Sega Naomi 2 and not for Triforce...
vstrik3.png

Other way to make it work for all people would be to not hard coded the Triforce games and let the user to name them like the other GameCube titles. Or if they need to be hardcorded for some reason, all Triforce games could have the word Triforce before the name, something like:
[Triforce] F-Zero AX
[Triforce] Mario Kart Arcade GP
[Triforce] Virtua Striker 2002
[Triforce] Virtua Striker 4 Ver.2006

You are wrong about the titles of the games in Nintendont because the GameCube games titles are editable, so I personally put all the titles according to my original GameCube games (and I'm from Europe) so:
849c904e-36f4-11e7-997a-be52efd2964d.jpg

Wouldn't renaming the GameCube titles in your loaders custon-title.txt file handle what you are looking to do?
Yes, that would be really great but for some reason the Triforce games names are hardcoded in the app so it's not possible to edit them like all the other GameCube titles...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night