Hacking Nintendont

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've been scratching my head over a way to hopefully have a Widescreen option for the Resident Evil games (CV not included since that one does have proper 3D models for environments too), and thought about this:

Seeing how Capcom attacked the 4:3 to 16:9 issue for the Resident Evil Remake-Remastered version, it made me think of perhaps a possible solution for the old school RE games (Zero, Remake, 2 and 3) for proper 16:9 support.
Perhaps we could stretch the 4:3 image to a 16:12 image to keep the ratio as the original (4:3 x 4 = 16:12).

That's one option.
I don't know if the TV will simply not take the other 3 height units into consideration or not, if the TV DOES NOT take them into consideration, then we might have a proper 16:9 image of the game by keeping the backgrounds like they are as well as the 3D models intact and without any misplacement.
Although, at the cost of 1.5 height units at the bottom and upper parts of the whole 4:3 image, but I don't think that would be bothersome at all.

If the TV does take the whole image into consideration, then another optiono could be to remove 1.5 from the top and bottom parts of the video output leaving it as a 16:9.

I am just talking about purely theoretical stuff, I don't even know if it could be implemented or not as a cheat code or any other way to do it.

Something like this:

4:3
Resident_Evil_2_RPD.png

16:9 (Top and bottom portions of the original 4:3 image cropped)
51bomq.png

And just for better reference, the menu would look like this:
145_2.jpg

2yoxpub.png
I don't think an elegant solution is really possible. Capcom's solution with Resident Evil REmake HD is actually very clever and clearly took Capcom a lot of work.

Essentially, this is what Capcom did:

1) Rather than simply cropping, Capcom made it so that the camera dynamically pans across the background depending on where the character is and what Capcom wanted the camera to focus on. This required the developers to go through every single scene in the game and manually recode the camera position. They didn't use some kind of automatic system.

2) Cropping and zooming would result in the actual resolution of the backgrounds being lower. Capcom overcame this by going back to the original sources and using much higher quality, less lossy compression so that the backgrounds look decent even after cropping. Obviously we cannot do this, and the issue would be even more noticable with Resident Evil 2 and 3 where the backgrounds are lower quality than REmake and Zero.

Something might be possible with Code Veronica X given that the game renders in real time and widescreen was achieved with the HD re-release,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think an elegant solution is really possible. Capcom's solution with Resident Evil REmake HD is actually very clever and clearly took Capcom a lot of work.

Essentially, this is what Capcom did:

1) Rather than simply cropping, Capcom made it so that the camera dynamically pans across the background depending on where the character is and what Capcom wanted the camera to focus on. This required the developers to go through every single scene in the game and manually recode the camera position. They didn't use some kind of automatic system.

2) Cropping and zooming would result in the actual resolution of the backgrounds being lower. Capcom overcame this by going back to the original sources and using much higher quality, less lossy compression so that the backgrounds look decent even after cropping. Obviously we cannot do this, and the issue would be even more noticable with Resident Evil 2 and 3 where the backgrounds are lower quality than REmake and Zero.

Something might be possible with Code Veronica X given that the game renders in real time and widescreen was achieved with the HD re-release,
I am aware of the panning camera for the remastered release, I just though maybe that could be a workaround for Widescreen in RE games for the Gamecube.

armyman12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How do I put in Action Replay codes for Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance? I already made the sneek folder and put in the corresponding file, but how and where do i put in the cheat file? How does the cheat file need to be? What extension?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Fire Emblem has anybody tested the loading scenes on chapter 1 onwards to see if they still have a random chance to crash the game?

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here is a cleaned up version of my changes:
https://www.mediafire.com/?77xmyyznrw8lx4z
Now this file seems to load games faster than the previous versions, if everything is ok for people with that version I think I will commit that.

Well 1 out of every 5 times booting it gives me a (no fat device found missing usb games dir) error so i guess its not finding my games. The hdd im using had issues in the past but r230+ fixed all my issues. This is my hdd http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B002QEBMCI EDIT= When i launch nintendont through wiiflow it finds my games everytime thats strange it did give me exception dsi a couple of times though.

Reactions: bm123456

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I am aware of the panning camera for the remastered release, I just though maybe that could be a workaround for Widescreen in RE games for the Gamecube.
I honestly think those specific games should be left alone, to be honest. I'm all for widescreen hacks that display more of the game onscreen. On the other hand, I would be against cropping because this results in less of the game being on-screen. It is a retrograde step with no real benefits, and doesn't really achieve anything that using the zoom function on your TV wouldn't also achieve.

Reactions: Onanghy

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Reactions: bm123456

bm123456

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well 1 out of every 5 times booting it gives me a (no fat device found missing usb games dir) error so i guess its not finding my games. The hdd im using had issues in the past but r230+ fixed all my issues. This is my hdd http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B002QEBMCI EDIT= When i launch nintendont through wiiflow it finds my games everytime thats strange it did give me exception dsi a couple of times though.
I have that same drive worked fine with dios Mios and Nintendont . Here I have never had any problems . Have you run a check disk?

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
sounds like your iso is compressed or corrupt
The scratch sound happens for me as well and my copy is clean, though I can exit the game no problem, this is been known since the early versions of Nintendont and it was never fixed, I thought it was a minor issue since the games run fine now (were fixed around the time audio streaming was implemented) so I didn't bother reporting it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have that same drive worked fine with dios Mios and Nintendont . Here I have never had any problems . Have you run a check disk?
i think he meant with fix latest experimental usb modification for more usb compat have you tryed it with the following dol?
So here is a cleaned up version of my changes:
https://www.mediafire.com/?77xmyyznrw8lx4z
Now this file seems to load games faster than the previous versions, if everything is ok for people with that version I think I will commit that.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The scratch sound happens for me as well and my copy is clean, though I can exit the game no problem, this is been known since the early versions of Nintendont and it was never fixed, I thought it was a minor issue since the games run fine now (were fixed around the time audio streaming was implemented) so I didn't bother reporting it.

I think that anything that doesn't happen on the GameCube itself should be reported, minor or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa https://youtu.be/BKLXOGhXrj4?si=4kXpeyCfxwL_k3qC