Hacking Nintendont

gothicall

Blah blah blah!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Just uploaded r98:
-nintendont now accepts args to autoboot games, other usb loader devs can look at wiiflow on howto implement it
-added ios 58.25.32 onto the supported wii ios list as suggested by the gbatemp member realromhunter

Also uploaded wiiflow r1075:
-autobooting nintendont games via args if nintendont 1.98 or newer is used, makes the bootup faster
-nintendonts memory card emulation is now enabled by default
-if using a wiiu wiiflow will now automatically use nintendont or devolution instead of the MIOS to boot gamecube games by default
-fixed the bug that wiiflow did not display gamecube games even if nintendont is available

For the people who use wiiflow, here is the new dol:
http://fix94.no-ip.org/wf_revs/boot_r1075.7z

"Viejo" FIX94, you're the man!! Who's the man? You are!!

Bracket

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hello, if possible can you commit these patches that add/fix building on *nix systems?

fix-include-cases.patch
This fixes mismatching include header cases. Mismatching cases in includes causes compilation failures on case-sensitive file systems since the compiler is unable to find the include.

nix-build-scripts.patch
Mostly direct conversion of current batch scripts to shell script to make it easier to maintain. Please use svn patch to apply the patches so that svn:executable is set (I'd assume tortoisesvn uses svn patch). It's also important that the line-endings are kept LF, so if you ever need to edit the shell scripts, please retain the UNIX line-endings.

These shell scripts should be portable and POSIX compliant, they pass shellcheck and should run on most *nix systems. Scripts have been personally tested with bash/dash/zsh shells.

I sent the first patch to FIX94 a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing he never checked his inbox since it says it was never read or that PMs to mods aren't allowed. I also sent it to GreyRogue yesterday, but I don't expect to hear anything back so soon. I've resubmitted the patch here in the forum along with the *nix build scripts since it seems at least everyone checks the forum.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried updating to r99 from r83 and my ps3 controller wont connect to half of my games does any one know what rev broke ps3 controllers or what rev introduced hid issues

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Check your PM inbox.

More on-topic, it's natural to expect things to break as the program evolves, or that it might take a bit for it to be fixed. Programming isn't an easy task. What we can do to help is report when things break, with as many details as possible (which was done in the previous post, but I'm just saying). Nintendont is still going through its "growing pains" so to speak, so let's just be patient. :)

Reactions: worm28

DerZerleger

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm trying to use Nintendont on a Wii and I'm facing some trouble.
For every game I try to start the Wii shuts down almost immediately. The last thing I see on the screen is that it goes to number 0 ES Init. I read that ES Init has a rare chance of crashing but apparently it crashes every time on my Wii. I tried different games that should work according to the compatibility list, but it's the same for all of them. I tried putting font_ansi.bin and/or IPL.bin in the root of my SD and/or USB drive, still the same error occurs. I tried loading games from SD or USB (both FAT32 with 32k/cluster), doesn't change anything either. Whatever I do, I can always see all the games that should be there on the drives but all of them crash this way.
I'm using Nintendont v1.92 right now, but it was the same with previous versions. Nintendont shows my Firmware as 58.24.32 and I'm trying to use a regular Gamecube controller.
Does anyone have a clue what could cause this?
I tried some more random stuff like reinstalling IOS58 and using different USB drives but nothing seems to change.
Does anyone know what ES Init stands for, what it does or what could make it fail?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible to write the config. options to memory directly (like DIOS MIOS or
Devolution) instead of a file (ninfig.bin) ?
I think it's already compatible. Nintendont is checking if there's a config in memory, if not it tries to load from file. Though, the loader needs to detect the version and know where it expects the cfg (as the address can changes with new revision, while writing a file it's always at the same place)
I didn't test that method from loaders yet.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it's already compatible. Nintendont is checking if there's a config in memory, if not it tries to load from file. Though, the loader needs to detect the version and know where it expects the cfg (as the address can changes with new revision, while writing a file it's always at the same place)
I didn't test that method from loaders yet.

that is just for the kernel, so it does not need to write it internally. Also, the args way is via memory just we dont need to change any memory positions cause args are on a higher level. And yea, I know its a bit weird to copy a struct into it, I was thinking about adding real string args but that would be even more code to write.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
FIX94: Would you be willing to accept a patch for string arguments if someone wrote it?

sure, I havent got a problem with having multiple ways of autobooting, if postloaders code requires so much rewrite I guess it can use another method then, wiiflow and usb loader gx can use the other.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It just makes little sense to me to pass a struct like that (plus, doesn't that violate coding conventions?), especially if it might change in size or number of options. If real strings are used instead, it wouldn't matter.

gabriel1073

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Spyro: A Hero's Tail gets a black screen in v1.80 even with font_ansi.bin or ipl.bin, but it is noted as working in the compatibility list.

A bit of extra details.

Game Region: US
Wii firmware: 4.3U
Wii Family Edition
Nintendont versions tested: 1.80 and 1.44
Video: Tried Auto and all of the Force options, still black screen.
Mem. Emu: Black screen being On or Off.
Progressive: Off
Widescreen: Off
Controller: HID

I've read in the thread that the game supposedly runs fine, my dump is verified and also works on dolphin.

Am I doing something wrong on my end or is it something about my Wii being a Family Edition?

bm123456

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spyro: A Hero's Tail gets a black screen in v1.80 even with font_ansi.bin or ipl.bin, but it is noted as working in the compatibility list.

A bit of extra details.

Game Region: US
Wii firmware: 4.3U
Wii Family Edition
Nintendont versions tested: 1.80 and 1.44
Video: Tried Auto and all of the Force options, still black screen.
Mem. Emu: Black screen being On or Off.
Progressive: Off
Widescreen: Off
Controller: HID

I've read in the thread that the game supposedly runs fine, my dump is verified and also works on dolphin.

Am I doing something wrong on my end or is it something about my Wii being a Family Edition?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont-crediars-new-project.349258/page-446#post-5029514

Test this version

gabriel1073

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Test this version

Does not works, i still get a black screen. Maybe because it was based on 1.94? I don't think Spyro works in that version for anyone.

And By The Way, I have already played plenty of games perfectly. It is only this one that is acting differently than expected.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Does not works, i still get a black screen. Maybe because it was based on 1.94? I don't think Spyro works in that version for anyone.

And By The Way, I have already played plenty of games perfectly. It is only this one that is acting differently than expected.

Then try with revisions earlier than 80. I get black screen with 1.98 so I guess it's just a matter of finding which revision broke it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: These videos are soooo dry