Nintendont Black Screen Problems and Questions About Wii U Modding

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by RockinRudy, Nov 11, 2015.

1. RockinRudy
    OP

RockinRudy Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2015
    Canada
    Hey, this is my first post and I am sorry if anything is against the rules on this board. I want to say a quick special thanks to all of the people who made all of the Wii Mods and Hacks as they are truly incredible and a huge appreciation on the people trying to crack and mod the Wii U.

Nintendont Problem (Wii):

However, I have a problem with Nintendont. I will try to make it as clear as possible and descriptive, when I found out DIOS MIOS 2.11 won't boot without a disk in the drive for Gamecube Games I decided to use Nintendont and on my cheap 8GB USB Drive it works perfectly with multiple Gamecube games games, However on a name brand 8GB Sandisk USB Drive it does not. I am using a Nintendo Wii, Not a Wii U.

I used USB Loader GX, it is fully updated to REV 1256, DIOS MIOS Lite 2.11 is installed as I wanted both functionality of using just the SD as well as a USB/HDD with Nintendont. Nintendont is Updated to Ver. 3.334. I use all the of the default settings and on my cheap 8GB USB Super Smash Brothers Melee and 20XX loaded from Nintendont just fine. With the Sandisk 8GB drive the Nintendont initiation loads up fine and stays on a black screen, when using my Cheap 8GB drive, I had to only wait about 10 seconds for Melee to boot up. On the Sandisk 8GB drive, It blinks furiously trying to read the data, I left it on for a good 10 minutes just for giggles to see if anything will happen. No nothing did. Sometimes when I boot up on the Sandisk drive the Wii turns off on it's own.

The farthest I ever got with the Sandisk drive is getting the Error Screen from Melee and 20xx telling you to eject the disk from the tray and that was from changing the "Game Split Settings" to 2GB rather than 4GB. I tried multiple combinations of loader settings and it either stalls at the Nintendont loading screen, stalls and tries to load on the Black Screen, just shuts down the console all together or I get the eject disk error that Melee throws at you when something is wrong.

BOTH of my testing USBs (The cheap and name brand Sandisk drives) are formatted to FAT32 with 32kb Cluster partitions. I also tried a 16kb partition and that didn't work either. My disk drive in the Wii is broken also.

If there is a solution I would love to know, I searched on here and google and can't seem to find a USB/HDD compatibility chart with Nintendont, I also found that using older versions of Nintendont will probably fix the problem as the newest version killed some USB/HDD drive support as I read from obscure posts on here, which Version should I try? There also seems to not be that much information anywhere on these issues so I decided to post here.

TLdr; Here's what i'm working with:
    - Wii, Not Wii U
    - USB loader GX, Rev 1256 (Both on SD card and USB device)
    - DIOS MIOS Lite 2.11 installed
    - Nintendont Version 3.334 on SD card and USB device
    - Default settings work on Cheap Brand 8GB Drive and not the name Brand Sandisk 8GB Drive.
    - USB drives used are FAT32 32kb Cluster, 16kb cluster was tested and did not work.
    - Using 2GB Game Split will make the Melee and 20xx Gamecube error message show up while 4GB split tries to load something on Black Screen, while cheap USB drive boots fine.
    - Hook type VBI (Not like this would matter)

I would rather get this working as many people say to use Nintendont now. Please don't try to get me to try Devolution with Wii Flow ect ect.

**EDIT Got it working**

For anyone having trouble with this and are getting stuck at the black screen after Nintendont initializes it is most likely your USB drive is not fast enough or is not compatible. If you are using a External Hard Drive make sure it's Western Digital Brand or Seagate. Most Sandisk drives seem to flake (Not work or may work). Hope this helps!

Wii U Modding Questions:

Alright now for my Wii U questions.

While using VWii, is it possible to install Wii Shop Channel WADs or known forwarding channels for emulation like FCE Ultra GX (NES Emulator) or any USB Loader? Or will this encounter a Brick or errors? I can't seem to find confirmed information on this. Can we use USB loaders, like USB loader GX to load up Gamecube games and Wii games?

To this date what is the limitations of Wii U hacking/modding? What does the Kernel exploit give us in terms limitations, what can we do ATM?

Thanks for reading I hope people can answer my questions, I didn't find a thread like this one so I might as well make one on this issue and join this site, some forum threads were very vague and gave little to no information. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by RockinRudy, Jan 3, 2016
  2. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    first issue latest nintendont is 375 not 334, update to the lastest one and then try again.

Second nintendont has nothing to do with DM, nintendont uses no mios,no hook no anything, it just uses the ios58 for usb acess and supports sd cards/usb without any cios or anything like that.

Scandisk drive seems to be damaged somehow, when the wii shuts off or the error message pops up it means the usb device wasnt fast enough to keep up with the game requests.

Nintendont does not support splitted games that is for wii wbfs files only, nintendont needs the full 1.35gb isos or the compressed ones but its recomended to use full isos first and foremost for best compat.

Always try botting the games from nintendont directly from homebrew channel, before using an usbloader to confirm everything is ok.

Last edited by pedro702, Nov 12, 2015
  3. RockinRudy
    OP

RockinRudy Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2015
    Canada
    Hey, thanks for the reply, I updated Nintendont even on my cheap USB, games load faster. However I tried another Sandisk drive and it continues to not work. They must not be fast enough for gamecube games. Strangely Wii games boot fine off them.

4. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
  5. RockinRudy
    OP

RockinRudy Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2015
    Canada
    I read a good majority in Nintendont, didn't have what I was looking for, it was all vague posts. Spent hours on there reading and using google, that's not being lazy. I know how to hack Vwii and read everything this morning and wanted a clear concrete answer before proceeding to do anything, wanted a 3 sentence answer if someone replied here. Someone did. I Googled my Nintendont problem even before joining. Seen threads back in 2014 and early 2015 in March with no replies. I troubleshooted my problem myself and managed to get it working anyway rather than read posts from people like "dis dunt wrk" and not see a reply or the post ignored. Might as well re post for others who use just google.

Whatever.jpg

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    wii games run totaly diferent from gamecube games, gc games need their specific speed to work and nintendont has some emulated components to make gc games run on wii mode and such so it requires more speed while wii games run natively.