Nintendo wins another lawsuit, awarded $2 million in damages against SXOS reseller

unnamed.jpg

Another day means another lawsuit, when it comes to Nintendo. A court dispute, originally filed in May, saw the company go after Uberchips, a reseller of Team Xecuter's, as Nintendo puts it, "piracy tools". Nintendo filed seeking damages against Uberchip's owner, Tom Dilts Jr., who proceeded to take his website down following the initial court dispute, though he maintained his own innocence. Prior to May, Dilts had been selling the SX OS dongle through Uberchips.com, which Nintendo states facilitated piracy, and now, both he and Nintendo have come to a conclusion in a new joint filing. A permanent injunction has been ruled, and a settlement of $2 million in damages must be paid to Nintendo. A stipulation of the ruling also permanently bans Dilts from ever reselling any Team Xecuter products, and if any leftover chips remained, they must be seized and destroyed.

This matter came before the Court on the parties’ Consent to Entry of Judgment and Permanent Injunction, Dkt. No. 14, and Joint Motion for Entry of Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction, Dkt. No. 15. The Court enters judgment as follows: 1. Plaintiff is hereby awarded judgment against all Defendants, jointly and severally, in the amount of US$2,000,000.00. 2. Each party shall bear its own costs and attorneys’ fees.

:arrow: Source: court documents, courtesy of Torrent Freak

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why dont they attack sx os company instead of resellers? Or do they use VPN hehe
When you find out who is in TX and where they live, tell Ninty and Microsoft. They will be happy to know lol.

It isn't easy to find these people. I am sure Ninty has tried, though.

EDIT: Oh shit, he did it.

Last edited by MaxToTheMax,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MaxToTheMax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was built as a rom site

Don't you love Newbies who don't read the Wiki? lol

ROMs aren't piracy by default, a lot of licenses have expired. Also the site evolved into something different.

Nintendo and the Courts happily disagree with you. I agree that the site has evolved, but you can't deign its origins

Reactions: TheMadHatter

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can. This site is built for modders, by modders. What people do with the mods afterwards is up to them. This site is for anything but piracy, it's for homebrew, emulation and modification. The fact that people use things for piracy is like saying the internet is used for piracy or saying the dark web is just pure evil.

Of course there are members (mostly those that post once with a question) that are active in piracy activities but most of us aren't. And we will stick to that story! :)
Emulation is piracy.

Reactions: gregory-samba

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is not if the licenses have expired. Please read copyright law for all countries affiliated with the proprietary devices and software. Thank you!
Name one game worth playing that you can legally download and play on an emulator. As a matter of fact, show me the games you emulate

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lol nevermind, found what games you were referring to. I'm sure those 3DS games have had their license "expire"

I want to start emulating my old games for the PSP, DS and 3DS so I got PPSSPP, MelonDS and Citra but I need some help.

How do I actually build the right structure for each game and how do I play games that had DLC/Updates, I have the updates and DLC but they need to be installed some way so I'm pretty lost! I could use some help.

SX Core with OFW 10.1.0 CFW 3.0.5

MaxToTheMax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is piracy.
SXOS isn't even just about emulation or piracy, it contains illegal and dangerous code. That is like.... Double bad!!!

Also, I want to hear your opinion on making your own rom dumps. It isn't often that I get to ask this question :lol:

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
The issue is China probably. They don't really care if their citizens are doing crimes against a Japanese company.
I think the TX being Chinese meme is funny but is there any actual evidence that they are Chinese other than some of their hardware guys being in Shenzhen (where else would hardware people be?) and maybe some broken English? I know a few of the TX software devs and none of them are Chinese, I don't believe the person in charge is Chinese either if he is who I think he is.

TheMadHatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Name one game worth playing that you can legally download and play on an emulator. As a matter of fact, show me the games you emulate

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lol nevermind, found what games you were referring to. I'm sure those 3DS games have had their license "expire"

Haha yep that's the ones ;)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think the TX being Chinese meme is funny but is there any actual evidence that they are Chinese other than some of their hardware guys being in Shenzhen (where else would hardware people be?) and maybe some broken English? I know a few of the TX software devs and none of them are Chinese, I don't believe the person in charge is Chinese either if he is who I think he is.
No the "owner" is American if I remember correct. There is a rumor the factory is in Taiwan, probably not. But Aliexpress all ships from China so it kind of leans that it's from China. Probably being made somewhere in Shenzen.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I can't fault Nintendo for protecting their IP and sales. That being said I have an old hackable Switch... that I haven't hacked yet despite never using it online.

Chains

GBAtemp Drifter
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolute fucking cringe.These pirate groups can't pay 2 mills. The court decision would be appealed & the fine will get dropped down to an actual payable amount, that wont even cover Nintendo's lawsuit cause they're suing literal wage slaves.

YuseiFD

Trophies
XP
Country
like taking down poor resellers will do something against a chip thats all over ebay and etc.
I hate nintendo with every ounce of my body, but legally those resellers are modifying proprietary hardware, which falls under the copyright infringement act, they get a c&d, when they refuse, court, nintendo went correct, although i hate the fact that they still own your console after buying it, it should be my choice to hack my console, as far as i can say about the matter, is that it's a knife situation, you either kill or butter up with it, nintendo shouldn't get involved in this, but it'll be dead soon now that bethesda is microsoft's lil bish

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fortunately it wasn't me pulled into this. It would definitely been tempting to make easy moneys. Right now, I have 2 chips seized by US customs. When that letter comes in the mail, it's going straight into the trash though. :)

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. Hey Nintendo, why not put that money towards a proper remaster of Mario 3D games instead of that lazy bullshit you released?

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I'm noticing a lot of people saying that's a lot of money. That's true but if you read the Torrent Freak article that this information came from it says people who get in to this kind of trouble often don't pay the full amount.

It is not uncommon for settlements to be higher on paper than they are in reality. We can’t say whether that’s the case here, but considering the scale of the award, it’s certainly possible.

https://torrentfreak.com/nintendo-wins-2-million-judgment-against-switch-piracy-hack-store-200930/

gregory-samba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate nintendo with every ounce of my body, but legally those resellers are modifying proprietary hardware, which falls under the copyright infringement act, they get a c&d, when they refuse, court, nintendo went correct, although i hate the fact that they still own your console after buying it, it should be my choice to hack my console, as far as i can say about the matter, is that it's a knife situation, you either kill or butter up with it, nintendo shouldn't get involved in this, but it'll be dead soon now that bethesda is microsoft's lil bish

Question. Do you own any Nintendo products?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work