Misc Nintendo Teams Up w/Gamespy

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joystiq said:
In a press release sent out today, GameSpy has announced it will provide "multiplayer technology" to publishers developing games for the Wii. The middleware allows the same online functionality found in DS games but will include friend rosters, matchmaking, and ranking data similar to Xbox Live. It's about time! Looks like Nintendo is finally willing to share their online service with 3rd party developers.

Nintendo has had a toe in the online world since Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection launched in 2005, but game-specific friend codes and the lack of a central hub have made the service a cumbersome experience. Could this mean the end of friend codes and the beginning of a beautiful online experience?

Source

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice to see Nintendo working to get into the online gaming world
biggrin.gif

Magus19

Trophies
Website
rotdteam.sourceforge.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo used gamespy for the DS too, so don't get excited yet. Nintendo will probably break it again, if it only use the Wii Code it's ok but it will probably use game codes, for whatever reason. I love Nintendo, their games and their vision, but I learned over the years to not get my hopes up again(Gamecube online...). They didn't even learn from the first Xbox live.

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought Gamespy helped Nintendo with the stats and game hubs on their Wi-Fi site (NintendoWiFi.com). I wouldn't know for sure, but it looks like it's modeled after Gamespy style hubs.

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I sure hopw they are getting rid of the stupid friend code crap. It's so irritating. Just because some 9 year olds shouldn't see bad stuff or other crap like that. That's what the warning, "game experience may change during online play" is there.

OK, I'm done with my rant. I still love Nintendo though, but their online sucks.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that's why you put age restrictions on certain parts. the wii already has age restrictions on games etc, just apply the same to online!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!