Hardware Nintendo Switch meltdown....?

Kyubnyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of upset people here, I'm just saying that it wouldn't have bent like that if it was sitting upright in the dock. Gravity isn't an opinion.

Reactions: Dionicio3

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually sent my Switch in yesterday because the back appeared to be bubbling out, rather than bending the whole console. I think some of these "warping" cases are battery going bad. I sent mine in on the chance that is happening after my 3DS batter bulged out. But judging from videos and the like on temps, the system does not get hot enough to just bend like that. It's not possible. I've pulled my switch out after a hard Zelda session and it wasn't even that hot. If anything the battery is warmest.

Reactions: Kyubnyan

Kyubnyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually sent my Switch in yesterday because the back appeared to be bubbling out, rather than bending the whole console. I think some of these "warping" cases are battery going bad. I sent mine in on the chance that is happening after my 3DS batter bulged out. But judging from videos and the like on temps, the system does not get hot enough to just bend like that. It's not possible. I've pulled my switch out after a hard Zelda session and it wasn't even that hot. If anything the battery is warmest.
This sounds like the most likely explanation, the warping on the yahoo picture is most noticeable near the battery.

Last edited by Kyubnyan,

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea mine sat completely flat on the face (screen) side. The back was pushing off from the console. That doesn't seem right to me.

And for anyone worried about docked heat, I have a feeling a 3rd party dock is going to make it's way that either has better vents or active fans pushing more air into the rear intake on the switch itself. I considered a USB fan to help or to remove the back panel to allow more flow.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure seems like this could be related to batteries. I once had a lithium-ion battery get big in my phone.
I'm pretty sure if the battery is expanding, it's dangerous.
http://www.macworld.com/article/316...oved-from-laptops-can-still-be-dangerous.html
I double checked. If this is a battery issues, the battery is likely to explode or release toxic gasses soon.

AS4jknK.jpg

This is what my OG 3DS battery looked like after 3 years. I noticed the charge would go up and down randomly. This is why i was worried about my Switch back cover bulging out.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Lol, turns out the guy had Switch sitting on top of the vents of his surround sound receiver. These generally kick out a lot more heat than any console. I'd be more surprised if his Switch hadn't curved in those conditions.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, turns out the guy had Switch sitting on top of the vents of his surround sound receiver. These generally kick out a lot more heat than any console. I'd be more surprised if his Switch hadn't curved in those conditions.
Where did you read that at? I actually had my Switch near my PC but the setup of my case makes all heat go out the top/back so there is generally no heat where it was sitting. Decided to move the dock anyway for when it returns.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Where did you read that at? I actually had my Switch near my PC but the setup of my case makes all heat go out the top/back so there is generally no heat where it was sitting. Decided to move the dock anyway for when it returns.
He posted an update video and showed where he has it positioned. Looks like an older receiver, too.

I appreciate that the guy isn't making a big deal out of it, though. Just the internet blowing things out of proportion as usual.

Last edited by Xzi,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He posted an update video and showed where he has it positioned. Looks like an older receiver, too.
Interesting how the guy who was previously bashing anyone for questioning this has gone silent. Perhaps that's because he's FAKE NEWS. :V

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
the warping is not at the battery, it's over the normal circutboards.
A reciver... a reciver... no wonder it bends then... why not just put it on a radiator instead?

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still leaning on the authenticity of this, but there has been more than one report. Need to find out more about their situation. Regardless of the fact that 99.9% of switch owners do not have this issue, it would be nice to know if it's a possible problem to be on the safe side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone