Hacking Nintendo Switch Lite Exploit, Is It Possible Without A Mod-Chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modafoca_killer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, I'm thinking in get a switch lite for birthday and I wanna ask if there is some "home brew" or any exploit for him without a mod-chip, if there isn't, is there a possibility in the future some one be capable to jailbreak it? Thanks's

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm thinking in get a switch lite for birthday and I wanna ask if there is some "home brew" or any exploit for him without a mod-chip, if there isn't, is there a possibility in the future some one be capable to jailbreak it? Thanks's
Nope modchip required

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm thinking in get a switch lite for birthday and I wanna ask if there is some "home brew" or any exploit for him without a mod-chip
Short Answer:
No.

Long Answer:
No. The Switch lite does not share any exploit that the original un-patched Switch has, it's hardware is diffrent. and any volnerabilities the original had are not in the lite, The Switch lite can only have CFW if it has a modchip.

if there isn't, is there a possibility in the future some one be capable to jailbreak it? Thanks's

Everything is impossible until it's been done, Currently there is no known method to exploit anything on the Switch Lite natively without a mod-chip.

There is always a "possibility", but how long that will take can't be said, there is a chance no one will ever find an exploit for the stock Switch Lite.

Nintendo did a very good job removing many vulnerabilities after the un-patched switch slipped thru the cracks, Just look at the v2 switch, and the OLED, both can only be modded with a modchip, they are in the same boat as the Switch lite. The only Switch that can be exploited currently is the original un-patched Switch. All others need a mod-chip.

EDIT: [So just noticed the date on this thread, sorry for bringing it back from the dead... OOPS!]

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100% possible, but the odds of it being made public are very low, as it's a high risk low reward situation.

Whoever has the software based exploit would probably keep using it without letting the public know, as that person knows homebrew and tinfoil will just be updated for whatever firmware whether the software exploit is released or not. The person has 2 choices:

1. Release the exploit, and get sued by Nintendo.
2. Release the exploit anonymously on 4chan/pastebin and not get any credz
3. Don't release it yet because hardware exploit already exists, but enjoy the exploit without worrying about it being patched

Another factor: Lots of bug bounty hunters simply don't put forth the effort into consumer product exploits these days, as there's way too much money to be made from applying the same skillset elsewhere towards a bounty with a huge payout. Why would someone exploit it for and enjoy $500 worth of games, when they could be working on finding an exploit for Google or whoever, and get paid 6 figures?

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Release the exploit, and get sued by Nintendo.
You can't be sued for pointing out an exploit... That would be like you being arrested for pointing at the hole in the side of a bank that someone could possibly climb thru if they wanted to rob the place. XD

And before you point out Team Xecuter

Their charges were fraud related... and because of making profit off of exploiting Nintendo's intellectual property. Not because the exploits exist... They would have never gone to jail if they did this all non-profit.

Last edited by JayBae,
  • Haha
Reactions: Lightyose and 1NOOB

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't be sued for pointing out an exploit... That would be like you being arrested for pointing at the hole in the side of a bank that someone could possibly climb thru if they wanted to rob the place. XD
I said "release the exploit", not just find it. There's guidelines that state you must contact the vendor and let them know to patch the software before it gets made public. There's also a chance that if its reported to Nintendo, they make you sign a waiver which states you can't release the CVE.

https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/vulnerability-reporting-faq#faq4

Also, consider that if it has the potential to cause a monetary loss to Nintendo, they will sue for the amount of consoles on that said firmware times the expected loss of sales per console.

Also about the bank, you could easily be sued (at least in the states) if you told everyone that the bank left the back door unlocked.

Either way, it's much more likely that the incentive just isn't there, as the last paragraph state of my post earlier. The same people can just get paid more than enough to buy the entire switch library if they use their time to break into something else instead. My reasoning for this is because it's too easy to anonymously release code to the public.

james194zt2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You would be better getting a V1 switch, the cost of a modchip is a good chunk of the price of the switch!! Also, if you can't solder it you need to price in the cost of fitting. The switch install is not easy at all, you are talking micro soldering to 2 tiny points on the CPU itself, screw it up and you likely kill your switch.

Yamathedestroyer

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I said "release the exploit", not just find it. There's guidelines that state you must contact the vendor and let them know to patch the software before it gets made public. There's also a chance that if its reported to Nintendo, they make you sign a waiver which states you can't release the CVE.

https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/vulnerability-reporting-faq#faq4

Also, consider that if it has the potential to cause a monetary loss to Nintendo, they will sue for the amount of consoles on that said firmware times the expected loss of sales per console.

Also about the bank, you could easily be sued (at least in the states) if you told everyone that the bank left the back door unlocked.

Either way, it's much more likely that the incentive just isn't there, as the last paragraph state of my post earlier. The same people can just get paid more than enough to buy the entire switch library if they use their time to break into something else instead. My reasoning for this is because it's too easy to anonymously release code to the public.
You know that the US isnt the whole World.

cashboxz01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know that the US isnt the whole World.
You know there's a thing called extradition, y'know. Ever heard of team xecutor?

Also, there's a thing called international intellectual property laws.

I'm not even against exploits being released. I'm just stating that they exist, but Nintendo has large hands, which can reach anywhere if they wanted. People are scared of Nintendo.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And before you point out Team Xecuter

Their charges were fraud related... and because of making profit off of exploiting Nintendo's intellectual property. Not because the exploits exist... They would have never gone to jail if they did this all non-profit.

you can absolutely get sued for pointing out an exploit. circumventing DRM is illegal due to the updated DMCA rules. Unless being explicitly asked to discover vulnerabilities in a specific system (e.g analyzing system vulnerability for a specific company), disclosing detailed information about a vulnerability and exploit methods which can then be used by and adversary to attack that specific system will allow the owning company to file a lawsuit against you. Geohotz got slapped by sony for his exploits of the PS3, he got a talking from apple about his jailbreaks for IOS.

getting sued is a HUGE financial drain, so even if the lawsuit has a low chance of resulting in criminal charges, most hackers don't want to spend tens of thousands of $$$ on legal fees alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all