Nintendo Switch hackers Team Xecuter leaders arrested, charged in federal indictment

50HCuI7t_400x400.jpg

The United States Department of Justice has shared some news regarding Team-Xecuter, which doesn't appear to be a good sign for the company. Gary Bowser, known on GBAtemp as garyopa, Max Louarn, and Yuanning Chen have all been arrested in Seattle, Washington. The US Government classifies these men as "leaders of one of the world's most notorious videogame piracy groups", and will be facing a federal indictment charge, for the selling of illegal hardware that facilitates piracy.

“These defendants lined their pockets by stealing and selling the work of other video-game developers – even going so far as to make customers pay a licensing fee to play stolen games,” said U.S. Attorney Brian Moran for the Western District of Washington. “This conduct doesn’t just harm billion dollar companies, it hijacks the hard work of individuals working to advance in the video-game industry.”

The FBI has also been involved, with each defendant to be charged under 11 felony counts, ranging from wire fraud, trafficking circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering. One of the defendants, Louarn, has not yet been extradited, though Bowser has, where he was seen in the court hearing that took place today.

In September 2020, Louarn and Bowser were arrested abroad in connection with the charges in this case. The United States will seek Louarn’s extradition to stand trial in the United States. Bowser was arrested and deported from the Dominican Republic, and appeared today in federal court, in New Jersey.

Each defendant is charged with 11 felony counts, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to circumvent technological measures and to traffic in circumvention devices, trafficking in circumvention devices, and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

:arrow: Source

Meatloaf916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring FW is limited. It stops working if you stay too low.
At the end of the day China still exists and developers always find a way. That’s what’s exciting about it.
Might have a problem if nintendo releases a new master key which will probably happen sooner rather than later. I think 0a is the latest.
yea that’s true but hasn’t nothing really happened since 6.1? And I’m aware of the game missing service calls from not being on the right fw.

Last edited by Meatloaf916,

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This FUCKING SUCKS.
Don't jump to conclusions just yet. I really don't think this is the end of the hardware solutions.

i used to wholesale for max and paul back in the 90s/early 00's.. and they were the most paranoid people back then, im sure it was just as bad now.. you could only pay them by sending cash stashed in empty playstation shells or teddy bears through the mail.. they havnt been around this long for nothing.

Exactly, the branding SX ect is probably done. That doesn't mean the developers got taken down. Distribution sure took a hit, but anyone with the intelligence and ability to reverse stuff like this, in such a business by no means isn't smart enough to know to use a fall guy...

Edit: Fall guy in this case being Gary. Really the fact people here knew his real name... It's should come as no surprise he was taken down in this.

Last edited by DarknessPlay3r,
Reactions: Meatloaf916

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have an exploited system, but a friend has been supplying me with the keys. I've only downloaded games I own, but I use the keys to check and compress the files. Iirc 9.1 was the last time they added a new key.​

Meatloaf916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have an exploited system, but a friend has been supplying me with the keys. I've only downloaded games I own, but I use the keys to check and compress the files. Iirc 9.1 was the last time they added a new key.​
Yea I own all the Nintendo made games on switch too. I still like them as a company but I just like soldering as a hobby too lol.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bad news and it is only a matter of time that nintendo pushes firmware 11.x which breaks sxos and new games, dlc and updates require you to update.

As for Garyopa.... 'I talked with the developers...updates are coming very soon" in the gateway3ds days.
Knowing now that he was just an advertising frontman...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on disability so I can't have more than 2 thousand at any one time so it gives me something to buy.. Plus I usually don't game when I pirate everything.

Meatloaf916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on disability so I can't have more than 2 thousand at any one time so it gives me something to buy.. Plus I usually don't game when I pirate everything.
True, actually the only games I really finish are Nintendo ones and random indie games like golf story. But that game was so good I had to buy it for me and a friend. Also I like collecting games and not opening them.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was overly medicated at first so I had issues with dropping stuff so I went all digital. I'm better now but I decided to keep going digital. I'm selling my retail collection at this very moment.

Meatloaf916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was overly medicated at first so I had issues with dropping stuff so I went all digital. I'm better now but I decided to keep going digital. I'm selling my retail collection at this very moment.
Yea I’m like 50/50 with downloading and hard copy. If it’s a Nintendo game I usually want a hard copy. Nintendo wants me to open all my games lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These are people with lives and families.

I find this notion almost as odd as prostrating yourself when people lose jobs.

I can't say I care either way. This however is the way the game is played -- if you are going to make yourself a target of one of the bigger and quite notably litigious companies on the planet then yeah try not to have names, have secure means of funnelling funds around and even with all that never step foot on US soil or something that will easily see you extradited. They (or two and a bit at least) failed there.
Better luck next time there lads. If you are out in a few and we meet at a conference or something I might chuck a beer their way for a story but again how the game is played.

Knowing now that he was just an advertising frontman...
The timing and consistently being first to post alone not giving that one away?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea I’m like 50/50 with downloading and hard copy. If it’s a Nintendo game I usually want a hard copy. Nintendo wants me to open all my games lol.

just bought ys origin. I've beaten it on the pc, but ys is one of my favorite series. I used to play the turbo grafx 16 with cd attachment and ys book 1 and 2 with my grandfather. he passed away before we could beat it. I think I was around 10 or so. I bought ys viii and loved it on the switch. I just wish that you could export saves to usb or something. then I'd never even think about exploiting my older system. I own 2 switches, one was a replacement from nintendo under warranty but the serial number says it's exploitable, and my main switch is the animal crossing one. I managed to get it and its pouch from game stop. as much as their hated, I'm just grateful because those joy cons are beautiful.

Meatloaf916

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just bought ys origin. I've beaten it on the pc, but ys is one of my favorite series. I used to play the turbo grafx 16 with cd attachment and ys book 1 and 2 with my grandfather. he passed away before we could beat it. I think I was around 10 or so. I bought ys viii and loved it on the switch. I just wish that you could export saves to usb or something. then I'd never even think about exploiting my older system. I own 2 switches, one was a replacement from nintendo under warranty but the serial number says it's exploitable, and my main switch is the animal crossing one. I managed to get it and its pouch from game stop. as much as their hated, I'm just grateful because those joy cons are beautiful.

yea I customized all mine with airbrush. And I redid a normal switch with animal crossing dock, shells, joy cons and a backplate from a trusted shell company for a friend when they weren’t available. Still getting my regular switch done with Lucas and ness. That’s super cool that your grandpa played video games. Mine would never lol.

Attachments

• B248F5A5-99A3-4C6D-BD21-502ADC8A21CA.jpeg
    B248F5A5-99A3-4C6D-BD21-502ADC8A21CA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
Last edited by Meatloaf916,

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Holy shit. I'm surprised.

Any info on how they were found? If they were smart they were covering their asses with VPN's and such..

While I never really supported the idea of sxos, it's always sad to see hackers taken down.

Hopefully the sales of their "os" helps with the legal fees.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.