Nintendo Switch Connection Issue with PC

Shadow2k1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to edit my Games on my Nintendo switch, i wanna edit a couple save files, so they can be easier played on my switch.

But when i plug my Switch into my pc, and the switch itself, my computer makes a few noises.

Acknowledging the switch, but when i go to find it.. it's not letting me open it, or let me pull my saved files.

I heard they recently patched the switch, so you could easily access the switch if i was plugged into my pc....

I dunno what i'm doing wrong... i just can't figure it out... am i not suppose to have it register on the pc.. ?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to edit my Games on my Nintendo switch, i wanna edit a couple save files, so they can be easier played on my switch.

But when i plug my Switch into my pc, and the switch itself, my computer makes a few noises.

Acknowledging the switch, but when i go to find it.. it's not letting me open it, or let me pull my saved files.

I heard they recently patched the switch, so you could easily access the switch if i was plugged into my pc....

I dunno what i'm doing wrong... i just can't figure it out... am i not suppose to have it register on the pc.. ?
Is your Switch hacked? I.e. you slide a tool called a jig into the right joycon rail and plug in a USB dongle (or send a file to it over USB or have an internal modchip that does the same thing) when you turn it on, at which point you will see a screen welcoming you to Atmosphere or possibly SXOS. If not, you will not be able to edit save files. If you have been able to install any… ahem… game 'backups' (yo ho ho and a bottle of piracy), your Switch is definitely hacked.

The patching thing is a modification to the console *in the factory* (i.e. they can't use a software update to block units that have already been sold) that *prevents* the Custom Firmware file being used to boot up the console. Old 'V1'/'Erista' Switches can use Custom Firmware, newer 'iPatched' Erista ones, the better-battery-life 'Mariko' and OLED models can only do so with a mod chip that is now very rare and expensive. You can check whether your unit is patched by typing the serial number from the bottom of the console into e.g. https://ismyswitchpatched.com/. We don't know the exact serial number when they started patching, so it's possible the answer will be 'maybe'.

Even if your Switch is hacked, you need a homebrew program (e.g. Checkpoint or JKSV) to transfer save files from each game's storage space to somewhere you can access them / transfer your edited files into the game, and another program that tells your Switch to show up as an external disk on your computer (or you can turn off the console and move the SD card into a reader on your computer). I use DBI for this.

Shadow2k1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no it's not Jail broken, or hacked, i'm just trying to take saved files from my switch....

Put them on my pc..... Run a Save Editor... Edit the saves....

put them back on my switch...

I also heard... certain games... require a Membership... because they are saved to a Nintendo I Cloud...

So.. i don't know why, but i want to edit a game called Legend of Zelda - Breath of the wild, but as i mentioned... it saves to the Nintendo Cloud...

I can only access it that way through a Membership... which i don't understand why it does that.... I have other games.. that i can save, and they show up on my Micro SD Card... but Legend of Zelda doesn't show up...

i've seen users on youtube with 999 items, 50,000 Rupees, and yea when i plug my switch in, and i try to access the switch, it says thre's no files on it... so i dunno what i'm doing wrong...

Shadow2k1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also i have no idea what DBI, or The other Items you listed... i'm new to hacking and editing switches... I just paid 300 dollars for it, i don't wanna break it, or cause any issues...

I just wanna take files edit the saved files and put them back on... that's all heh..

emcintosh

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also heard... certain games... require a Membership... because they are saved to a Nintendo I Cloud...

So.. i don't know why, but i want to edit a game called Legend of Zelda - Breath of the wild, but as i mentioned... it saves to the Nintendo Cloud...
If you subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online (eg. for multiplayer games or the NES & SNES games). you can back up your saves to Nintendo's servers. This will not help you edit them, as you can only access them using the Switch, not a computer. It's for re-downloading your progress if your console gets damaged or you want to use a different one (e.g. if you had a Switch for home use but a Switch Lite for travelling).

Also i have no idea what DBI, or The other Items you listed... i'm new to hacking and editing switches... I just paid 300 dollars for it, i don't wanna break it, or cause any issues...

I just wanna take files edit the saved files and put them back on... that's all heh..
If you're new to Switch hacking, I wouldn't expect you to have heard of any of these. I was just making you aware of the programs I use - there are many different ones that do different thing or work a bit differently (e.g. many game-installing programs).

Doing pretty much anything non-standard on a Switch (and editing saves definitely falls into this category - think back to how cheat cartridges like GameShark had to have disclaimers that they weren't authorised or approved by Nintendo) needs you to hack it. It's a more annoying process than for previous Nintendo consoles. There are a couple of guides that will walk you through the process:
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/beforestarting.html

If you decide that ability to edit your save is worth it and you to hack your Switch, I *highly* recommend getting an 'RCMLoader' - this is a device you plug into the USB-C port of the Switch that automates the process of sending the file to start it up in hacked mode, and it includes a 3D-printed jig that will be much safer for your console than using a bent paperclip (to open the recovery mode that we need to use the hacked firmware, you need to connect two pins in the joycon rail together- paperclips are cheap but harder than the pins so can damage them, and there is the problem of bending the paperclip just right).

Last edited by emcintosh,

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh no it's not Jail broken, or hacked, i'm just trying to take saved files from my switch....

Put them on my pc..... Run a Save Editor... Edit the saves....

put them back on my switch...
You need to be running a custom firmware (cfw) for that and some homebrew that allows your PC to access files from the Switch, like ftpd or mtp-server-nx.

BOTW does not require an Internet connection or Nintendo Online membership. I never had a membership and played that game a hell of a lot. Maybe if you have a membership, your saves are backed up to Nintendo's cloud, but either way it works perfectly with local saves, like most Switch games.
I can only access it that way through a Membership... which i don't understand why it does that.... I have other games.. that i can save, and they show up on my Micro SD Card... but Legend of Zelda doesn't show up...

i've seen users on youtube with 999 items, 50,000 Rupees, and yea when i plug my switch in, and i try to access the switch, it says thre's no files on it... so i dunno what i'm doing wrong...
AFAIK, like the games themselves, game saves can be stored either to your microSD card or to the Switch's internal storage. Your BOTW save might simply be in the Switch's memory instead of the SD card's.

Shadow2k1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BOTW does not require an Internet connection or Nintendo Online membership. I never had a membership and played that game a hell of a lot. Maybe if you have a membership, your saves are backed up to Nintendo's cloud, but either way it works perfectly with local saves, like most Switch games.
Well... when i try to transfer my BOTW save to my micro sd.... It doesn't show up.... atm i have 2 Saved Files.... BOTW, and Final Fantasy 12..... and FF 12 is my only save data..... for some reason.... i can't find my BOTW save... so i dunno if my switch is bad... or what.. it's only 3 weeks old... so i dunno why it won't let me transfer the game to my Micro SD Card... i hope it's not bad... i might call my Gamestop where i bought it, and see if they know what is going on.... but no lie.... my BOTW does not register on my switch... which is really odd....

emcintosh

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well... when i try to transfer my BOTW save to my micro sd.... It doesn't show up.... atm i have 2 Saved Files.... BOTW, and Final Fantasy 12..... and FF 12 is my only save data..... for some reason.... i can't find my BOTW save... so i dunno if my switch is bad... or what.. it's only 3 weeks old... so i dunno why it won't let me transfer the game to my Micro SD Card... i hope it's not bad... i might call my Gamestop where i bought it, and see if they know what is going on.... but no lie.... my BOTW does not register on my switch... which is really odd....
Nintendo's website https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...do Switch, game save,copied to a microSD card. says:

Where is game save data stored?​

• On Nintendo Switch, game save data is stored in the console’s system memory. This will not change whether downloadable software or software from a game card is being played.
  • Game save data cannot be saved or copied to a microSD card.
So it is not surprising that BotW's save does not show up on your SD card. You can store *games* on the SD card to extend your storage beyond the internal memory. But you say that your FF 12 save is on your SD card. Where, and in what format?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot transfer save data to your SD card without hacking your console and using homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny