XP
Country
United States
I have 2.0 and use this DNS: 173.255.238.217

System Updates: blocked
Game Updates: working
Online Gaming: working
eshop: working for a short time after console reboot

In system settings, there is shown, that a system update is available. However, if you try to download it, you get a connection error. So, the system update seems to be blocked properly.
I saw this post and used this.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this post and used this.
So upon Googling this address, it appears to be ReSwitched's System Update Blocker DNS meaning it only blocks system updates from being downloaded while allowing everything else. This includes game updates, online gaming, and most likely telemetry which may have flagged the console. However I have a hard time believing you were banned only from Splatoon if, as you claim, you used no save editors/managers with the game. If you want, you can try calling Nintendo to get to the bottom of this as none of your actions warrants a Splatoon only ban. However this might tip off Nintendo to escalate your ban to a full console ban as they may have data on your device when you tell them to look you up. The decision is yours as I have never seen something like this happen.

Reactions: Stardust3033

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So upon Googling this address, it appears to be ReSwitched's System Update Blocker DNS meaning it only blocks system updates from being downloaded while allowing everything else. This includes game updates, online gaming, and most likely telemetry which may have flagged the console. However I have a hard time believing you were banned only from Splatoon if, as you claim, you used no save editors/managers with the game. If you want, you can try calling Nintendo to get to the bottom of this as none of your actions warrants a Splatoon only ban. However this might tip off Nintendo to escalate your ban to a full console ban as they may have data on your device when you tell them to look you up. The decision is yours as I have never seen something like this happen.
Of course, it WOULD be me to get this kind of rare case lol
Well, not too sure what to do in this situation...probably gonna wait a bit then call if I can't find anything...

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. Has there been actual research on whether telemetry can be sent when you are still offline?

To elaborate, I setup my Switch to only turn on my wifi manually in settings. So on initial boot, it is completely offline, however, my wifi settings are still saved within the console so I can turn it on whenever I can.

So essentially, when I go into CFW, I only ever mess with the app that loads HBL. This means wifi in CFW isn't on in boot and for the time I'm in there.

However, in stock FW, I turn wifi on and just play things like normal.

Now... the reason I bring all this up is because I've been hearing that apparently some telemetry is possibly still sent if your wifi settings are still saved, even if you aren't technically connected?

I only ask because some people have claimed there was a thread discussing this very subject, and I can't really seem to find it through searching. So, if anyone could point me in the right direct if a thread like that exists, that'd be great. :)

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. Has there been actual research on whether telemetry can be sent when you are still offline?

To elaborate, I setup my Switch to only turn on my wifi manually in settings. So on initial boot, it is completely offline, however, my wifi settings are still saved within the console so I can turn it on whenever I can.

So essentially, when I go into CFW, I only ever mess with the app that loads HBL. This means wifi in CFW isn't on in boot and for the time I'm in there.

However, in stock FW, I turn wifi on and just play things like normal.

Now... the reason I bring all this up is because I've been hearing that apparently some telemetry is possibly still sent if your wifi settings are still saved, even if you aren't technically connected?

I only ask because some people have claimed there was a thread discussing this very subject, and I can't really seem to find it through searching. So, if anyone could point me in the right direct if a thread like that exists, that'd be great. :)
First off, the console sends zero telemetry while offline. That however does not mean you are safe as data can still be stored in the NAND to be sent the next time the console goes online such as conspicuous error codes, fake tickets from installing .NSP files, and possibly even save data. Secondly, the console connects to the Internet as long as there are Wi-Fi settings. It doesn't matter if you're using online features or not. Even Airplane Mode is not necessarily fool-proof. And if that's not enough, the Switch also has hardcoded Wi-Fi settings that we know as Nintendo Hotspots where it will connect to the Internet if you are in range.

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, the console sends zero telemetry while offline. That however does not mean you are safe as data can still be stored in the NAND to be sent the next time the console goes online such as conspicuous error codes, fake tickets from installing .NSP files, and possibly even save data. Secondly, the console connects to the Internet as long as there are Wi-Fi settings. It doesn't matter if you're using online features or not. Even Airplane Mode is not necessarily fool-proof. And if that's not enough, the Switch also has hardcoded Wi-Fi settings that we know as Nintendo Hotspots where it will connect to the Internet if you are in range.
Alright, so this is what I'm getting from this:

- Data can be stored in NAND to be sent later. (Due to error codes, NSPs and save data mods.)
- Console connects online as long as there's wifi settings, doesn't matter if you are using online features.
- Airplane Mode is still not fool proof.
- Nintendo has hardcoded hotspots the switch can connect to where data is transmitted back and fourth.

Now, some questions and clarifications I have based on this information:

1.) I know that atmosphere (the CFW I use) basically redirects crash reports to the SD Card because it completely re-implemented the error report system. Does this mitigate the error code issue in anyway?

2.) These "hardcoded hotspots", are they similar to a Nintendo Zone, in that things like restaurants or cafes have them? And if that's the case, does it force you to connect, or is it still optional like any normal wifi hotspot?

3.) Say if I have my internet settings saved, but don't have them enabled. And in the next 5 days, I still don't enable it. Will the Switch still send data to Nintendo, even with settings turned off?

niickie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys I am a little worried and I know nowhere else to ask :(

I hacked my Switch like everyone else and used 90DNS to not be caught. The thing is: I was traveling and my Switch connected to a previous Network not setted to 90DNS (that I didn't even remember), so it probably sent Nintendo some info (and I even got an email congratulating me for playing New Super Mario Bros Deluxe that I had from installing a .nsp). By this time if IIRC I had a Nintendo Online Family Subscription (that I got off a few days later).

Today a friend of mine that was supposed to be able to be in the subscription was not able to go online. Is it possible that I was banned and all the family subscription was too? How do I check if he is really banned?

Sorry if it is some obvious info but I didn't get the time to check, I am just worried right now :(
Thank you!

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so this is what I'm getting from this:

- Data can be stored in NAND to be sent later. (Due to error codes, NSPs and save data mods.)
- Console connects online as long as there's wifi settings, doesn't matter if you are using online features.
- Airplane Mode is still not fool proof.
- Nintendo has hardcoded hotspots the switch can connect to where data is transmitted back and fourth.

Now, some questions and clarifications I have based on this information:

1.) I know that atmosphere (the CFW I use) basically redirects crash reports to the SD Card because it completely re-implemented the error report system. Does this mitigate the error code issue in anyway?

2.) These "hardcoded hotspots", are they similar to a Nintendo Zone, in that things like restaurants or cafes have them? And if that's the case, does it force you to connect, or is it still optional like any normal wifi hotspot?

3.) Say if I have my internet settings saved, but don't have them enabled. And in the next 5 days, I still don't enable it. Will the Switch still send data to Nintendo, even with settings turned off?
  1. Yes it does. However if you already have error codes stored on your system, you are out of luck as removing these error codes is not considered safe and the tool to do so has been removed from the public eye for that very reason.
  2. Yes, those are examples of some places although I don't know of a list of these locations. What I do know is that it is a forceful connection meaning the only way to prevent such connection with Airplane Mode. While I did state Airplane Mode is not foolproof, combining it with removing Wi-Fi settings is 100% foolproof
  3. You cannot enter the settings and disable them; they are either entered and enabled or not entered and not enabled. Of course, it will only transmit telemetry when the console is on and within range of those Wi-Fi settings but the connection is done automatically.
Guys I am a little worried and I know nowhere else to ask :(

I hacked my Switch like everyone else and used 90DNS to not be caught. The thing is: I was traveling and my Switch connected to a previous Network not setted to 90DNS (that I didn't even remember), so it probably sent Nintendo some info (and I even got an email congratulating me for playing New Super Mario Bros Deluxe that I had from installing a .nsp). By this time if IIRC I had a Nintendo Online Family Subscription (that I got off a few days later).

Today a friend of mine that was supposed to be able to be in the subscription was not able to go online. Is it possible that I was banned and all the family subscription was too? How do I check if he is really banned?

Sorry if it is some obvious info but I didn't get the time to check, I am just worried right now :(
Thank you!
An account ban is rare and there are other reasons your friend may not have been able to go online (e.g. downtime, improper settings, DNS, etc.). If you want to check if the account is banned, try logging into their website from your computer.

Reactions: niickie

niickie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
An account ban is rare and there are other reasons your friend may not have been able to go online (e.g. downtime, improper settings, DNS, etc.). If you want to check if the account is banned, try logging into their website from your computer.

Thank you so much for your answer!! I found out that he can't go online because since I left the family group I carried with me the Nintendo Online Subscription, so now nobody is able to go online because of me hahaha

I am afraid to stay in the group because of my hacked switch :(

There is any risk of ban for the rest of the family group because of me? Or is it just me who would be banned?

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for your answer!! I found out that he can't go online because since I left the family group I carried with me the Nintendo Online Subscription, so now nobody is able to go online because of me hahaha

I am afraid to stay in the group because of my hacked switch :(

There is any risk of ban for the rest of the family group because of me? Or is it just me who would be banned?
Well like I said, account bans are incredibly rare and as long as no one else is hacking, a future ban should only affect you. However I would be lying if I said there was no risk of everyone else being banned but I believe that risk is relatively small. Personally I would take the risk.

Reactions: niickie

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Yes it does. However if you already have error codes stored on your system, you are out of luck as removing these error codes is not considered safe and the tool to do so has been removed from the public eye for that very reason.
  2. Yes, those are examples of some places although I don't know of a list of these locations. What I do know is that it is a forceful connection meaning the only way to prevent such connection with Airplane Mode. While I did state Airplane Mode is not foolproof, combining it with removing Wi-Fi settings is 100% foolproof
  3. You cannot enter the settings and disable them; they are either entered and enabled or not entered and not enabled. Of course, it will only transmit telemetry when the console is on and within range of those Wi-Fi settings but the connection is done automatically.
In regards to #3, you can actually make it so wifi isn't enabled on boot.

You do this by disabling auto connect in the settings for your connection. Not to say that'll mitigate anything, but you can make it so your internet connection is only enabled when you hit "Connect to this Network".

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another question...
If I buy another Switch and leave it completely unhacked, and I save edit my save and inject it, using my "banned" switch, will I be able to put the cart in the new switch with all the changes??

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have another question...
If I buy another Switch and leave it completely unhacked, and I save edit my save and inject it, using my "banned" switch, will I be able to put the cart in the new switch with all the changes??
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Are you saying you want to modify your save and inject it into your new console?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to put it lightly yes save data edits whether on or offline games doesn't matter you'll get banned,btw has anyone got banned on lets go by pkhexing say mew on a hacked console then transfer it to a clean unaltered game save/switch?

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Are you saying you want to modify your save and inject it into your new console?
Basically, using my banned switch, to extract save data from Pokemon Let's Go Eevee cartridge and edit it and inject it back in. Then use the cartridge on my new nonhacked switch.

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saves are stored in the NAND, not in the read-only Nintendo Switch cartridges.
Dang it.
From your knowledge, do you think there will ever be CFW where we can play online and save edit without the worry of a ban? Or at least worry about bans to a minimum degree?

Last edited by Stardust3033,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🥓 🍳 🍞 🍽️