Nintendo Serves Up New Details about Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

WiiU_MarioTennisUltraSmash_HIOscreens_4%5b1%5d.jpg

Mario and other residents of the Mushroom Kingdom head back to the tennis court on Nov. 20 in the Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash game for the Wii U home console.

amiibo Compatibility: Players can choose supported amiibo figures to be partners in online doubles matches, or players can enlist them to battle strong computer-controlled opponents in the offline Knockout Challenge mode. The more matches an amiibo plays, the more experience and skill it will gain. Currently available compatible amiibo include Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Yarn Yoshis, Rosalina, Wario, Toad and Donkey Kong.

New Moves: On top of standard shots like topspin, lobs and slices, the new Ultra Smash move sees characters leap high into the air and smash the ball down to devastating effect. Colorful Chance Areas occasionally appear to help players unleash super-strong smash or bamboozling slices to flummox adversaries on the other side of the net.

Game-Play Modes:
  • Knockout Challenge: Tense tiebreak matches against increasingly difficult computer-controlled opponents await in this single-player mode. If the going gets too tough, players can call in a compatible amiibo as a doubles partner.
  • Mega Battle: After grabbing a Mega Mushroom, characters grow to gigantic proportions and can dominate the court with their increased power and range.
  • Classic Tennis: For those who prefer their tennis a little more traditional, Classic Tennis offers two variations: Standard mode features Chance Shots and Jump Shots but no Mega Mushrooms, while Simple puts competitors on the court with nothing but the net and the ball.
  • Online Multiplayer: Go up against adversaries from around the world in competitive ranked play in either Mega Battle or Classic Tennis modes, or quickly jump into more casual matches. Two players* on the same console can team up to take on all comers, or a supported amiibo can join as a doubles partner on the online courts.
Multiple Controller Options: Players can choose their favorite control option, as the game supports the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller and Classic Controller Pro options.

For more information about Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, visit :arrow: http://mariotennis.nintendo.com.

Iluyan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I seriously can't see myself spending €40-50 on a tennis game, which offers nothing else than just plain tennis matches. No Tournaments/Singe Player/Adventure mode like Mario Tennis on the GBC and GBA ? That would really have done it for me....

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It stumped me why Camelot and Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make another console Mario Tennis but not Mario Golf.

I mean, with Mario Tennis, all they can do is add gimmicks to the Tennis Court. You only ever need one Mario Tennis game. With Mario Golf, at least you get new maps to play on.

I'm happy though that for the first time since Super Smash Bros., amiibo implementation isn't physical DLC.

Hyperstar96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It stumped me why Camelot and Nintendo thought it was a good idea to make another console Mario Tennis but not Mario Golf.

I mean, with Mario Tennis, all they can do is add gimmicks to the Tennis Court. You only ever need one Mario Tennis game. With Mario Golf, at least you get new maps to play on.
Interesting, I was thinking the exact opposite. With Mario Golf, all they can really do is add more courses to an already existing game, but with Mario Tennis they can flesh out the experience by adding more items, modes, techniques, etc.

But to answer your question, I think it's because World Tour is still too new. I guess 3DS also has Mario Tennis Open, but that was still 3.5 years ago.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I remember that back when I played on the Nintendo 64 emulator and GBC I enjoyed Mario Tennis thoughly but the gameplay footage of the Wii U version just looks very exhausting. The gimmicky feature of making the players giant for a limited time just feels out of place.

Mario Kart 8 this is not.

D

Deleted User

why people care so much about a tennis game for a modern console, like there are no 10+ more of that stuff?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

why people care so much about a tennis game for a modern console, like there are no 10+ more of that stuff?
The same cold be said about Mario Kart 8 because "It's just another Mario Kart game" so Mario Tennis feels very underwhelming because this was treated poorly and doesn't seem to have too much content either. From someone like myself who likes to play GBC Mario Tennis this is disappointing.

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
Amazon lists it for 44.99€. Not worth the price tag imo. I'm just gonna wait a few weeks and then get a used copy.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Been playing it today and the game makes it clear Camelot was aiming for much more and better than what Nintendo originally released.

@azoreseuropa You might find this interesting, if you happen to notice it.

So, back in 2015 Star Fox Zero was scheduled to be released on November 2015 but due to complications in its development, Zero was delayed and in return which very unfortunately took a new Mario Tennis game as its victim. As I've played it myself I can say that the gameplay is solid and balanced, I might add it in too, but the game feels very barebones although what are the chances for a game to have full Portuguese language in this day and age? Very rarely! Maybe it seems far-fetched to think it had more going than it did but then, why would Nintendo spend money on translating and dubbing it? They wouldn't had if they knew how things would turn out.

It's honestly not a bad game at all just very short in content.

Some screenshots:

0yI7y1Y.jpg

f8BeMbg.jpg

5PfbZRv.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet