Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a 3DS XL and the 3D effect just doesn't work well for me so I just have it turned off.

Tried the New 3DS and the result wasn't much better.
Just mentioning the 3D on the 3DS completely misses my point. Nintendo used to offer things, multiple things, that made up for their consoles being underpowered compared to the competition. The 3DS offered an experience that wasn't just limited to having 3D. It offered themes, MiiVerse with title integration, SpotPass, StreetPass, the Badge Arcade, AR titles with the cameras, Download Play, QR code features including getting things in games, events at retailers utilitizing all the features the 3DS had that the Switch lacks, etc. The Switch just doesn't do this. A phone with a controller can replace the Switch with all the features of the Switch.

100% the next device is just a fucking switch-U
The Wii-U offered quite a few pretty cool features over the Wii, which I doubt the next Switch will do. The same thing goes for the 3DS over the NDS. It was an evolutionary step foward, and I have a feeling the next Switch will be highly iterative rather than evolutionary.

That's the big problem with the Switch, there's quite literally nothing the Switch offers that you can't get through emulation. Nothing. In fact, Yuzu offered things that the Switch should have had but didn't like multiplayer lobbies.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The Wii-U offered quite a few pretty cool features over the Wii, which I doubt the next Switch will do.
like what barely able to do 1080p support and a heavy ass tablet controller? it was a wii with a tablet it even had the wii OS on it! everyone thought it was a wii add on :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everyone thought it was a wii add on
It was poorly marketed, for sure. Probably even poorly named considering it gave that impression. However, a touchscreen on a controller with it's own unique display does offer quite a few more options in terms of gameplay than the Wii had.

Reactions: Quore

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want the new system to leak and get hacked BEFORE release :rofl2:
Same here if Nintendo doesn't include:

The ability to record things that happened up to 15 minutes. Even the PS4 had that already...

More control over the system, some homebrew that made the Wii U great again in 2024. An obviously no piracy. So yes. Have a look what Microsoft did with their Xbox One and Series systems.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to show Nintendo just how futile their attempts to go against the internet will be.

You say that as a user, im sure the people who are getting these actual notices and developing software, modding etc.. are not willing to go against Nintendo lol.

I'm all for the internet but if I get a letter from a big company for doing things with their system/console I'd probably call it quits. The legal battle is something not many people can pay for and go back and forth just for the internet or forum kids

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I didn’t know he was a lawyer.

Plus 90DNS was used early on before better alternatives were made. And since this happened in 2018 (when the Switch modding scene was still brand new), 90DNS was all they had that didn’t involve wiping/hiding serials and/or messing with the nand itself.
Creport was added pretty early to atmosphere and was already part of the first official release in October 2018, with fatal being added to it in November 2018, so the protection where there in 2018 already.
So only if you didn't use sxos with creport or if you use the early versions before the release and before creport was added to the code, you would have had to use 90 dns in a homebrew only setup.
But even then 90dns would have had the problem of still generating the logs, causing problems if you booted into stock firmware.
So as mentiomed, for homebrew only setups it has not been relevant for quite a while already.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nintendies are really testing the waters and pushing the limits for what can and cannot be sued, their legal team went full aggro...

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why is it so shocking that Nintendo uses DMCAs for the exact reason DMCAs exists? Sure it's unfortunate if you're a pirate but why would you expect Nintendo to not ask an employee to take 30 minutes to write a DMCA notice against a piracy tool?

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why is it so shocking that Nintendo uses DMCAs for the exact reason DMCAs exists? Sure it's unfortunate if you're a pirate but why would you expect Nintendo to not ask an employee to take 30 minutes to write a DMCA notice against a piracy tool?
Because the 0.5% of people pirating would be upset? /s

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
nintendo think they can stop people from modding their systems!!!! they mad!!!!
The more they try to stop piracy and modding, MORE people will pirate their games AND modding their consoles
Post automatically merged:

How old is Miyamoto? 🍄
November 16, 1952

He has 71yrs for now

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch 2 must really be closed, even by Nintendo standards they're really going at it lately
Looking at how Mario Soccer and Switch Sports turned out, I'm not too excited for Switch 2.

And yeah, I know those are sports games, but Nintendo in the past did a solid job although for the Switch it was a disappointment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...