Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am interested in the screen temperature/brightness manufacturing variations with this new revision.

I own 3 switches (v1, v2, lite), and they all have different colour temps and max brightness levels. Funnily enough my v1 screen looks the best in these regards :rolleyes:

To add to this, all 4 of my N3DS I own have different colour temps and brightness levels as well. Especially annoying when the top screen is dimmer than the bottom screen on the same device. Not to mention the whole ips/tn fiasco.

Hopefully Nintendo pick up their QC game with this screen revision, but if history has taught me anything, they won’t.
This OLED version is exactly for people like you who like to have the best screen.

spriteice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This OLED version is exactly for people like you who like to have the best screen.

In theory, yes. Although personally I prefer my lite, as I prefer the higher PPI screen, rigidity of the console as it is a single unit (rather than 2 joycons + tablet), and the d-pad. These factors alone make it the superior portable gaming device in my opinion.

If I want to play on the TV I can simply transfer my saves to one of my full sized Switches.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, yes. Although personally I prefer my lite, as I prefer the higher PPI screen, rigidity of the console as it is a single unit (rather than 2 joycons + tablet), and the d-pad. These factors alone make it the superior portable gaming device in my opinion.

If I want to play on the TV I can simply transfer my saves to one of my full sized Switches.
Money making opportunity for Nintendo! OLED Switch lite.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo officially reveals .................... that they fucking hate you
Nintendo loves you very much. People who are rich and not fully satisfied are the ones who will keep buying. The trick is to keep you happy enough so you don't leave. It's a tick that Apple has perfected. If you are fully satisfied with what you already own then who is going to buy?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
32 more GB of storage and 0.8" larger screen running the same resolutions. Who is this for? My phone has higher res.

this is not the console your looking for!
tenor.gif

Reactions: tivu100

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32 more GB of storage and 0.8" larger screen running the same resolutions. Who is this for? My phone has higher res.

this is not the console your looking for!
tenor.gif
The same people who has been buying Nintendo products. If you think your phone is a better gaming machine you are not one of them. It's call not wanting what you can't have. People who wants a Switch that is made by Apple with a M1 processor and mini LED XDR display will be a waste of time to pursue. Nintendo will never have them.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Worrh if if you desperate need wired Internet and or a better looking screen in portable mode, useless otherwise.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this news. It's not Nintendo Switch Pro. Nintendo company lied to us and everyone. LOL :rofl2:

I'm going to skip this and wait on next Nintendo Switch 2 in next few years. I'm in no hurry. ;)
I expect 10 years product cycle, it's not even 5 yet. Switch is still living of mostly on IP developed for WiiU. Switch is still yong, haven't left the parent's house yet.

Reactions: tivu100 and console

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I saw this news. It's not Nintendo Switch Pro. Nintendo company lied to us and everyone. LOL :rofl2:

I'm going to skip this and wait on next Nintendo Switch 2 in next few years. I'm in no hurry. ;)

They did not lie.
They never promised a new system with better specs.
Baseless rumours did that.

I own a v2 switch atm but I may get one of these, it just looks too good.

Reactions: DSoryu

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I am interested in the screen temperature/brightness manufacturing variations with this new revision.

I own 3 switches (v1, v2, lite), and they all have different colour temps and max brightness levels. Funnily enough my v1 screen looks the best in these regards :rolleyes:

To add to this, all 4 of my N3DS I own have different colour temps and brightness levels as well. Especially annoying when the top screen is dimmer than the bottom screen on the same device. Not to mention the whole ips/tn fiasco.

Hopefully Nintendo pick up their QC game with this screen revision, but if history has taught me anything, they won’t.
Color Temperature doesn't really matter for video games. Usually it's good enough. This is a cheap budget OLED screen so there's going to be variance.

Nintendo is looking to pump out units and don't have time to individually calibrate each screen. They just calibrate one and apply a generic profile to all units. Saves time and money.

Components can vary even on same switch models which can affect generic calibration profiles so color accuracy will vary between the OLED models, if they had nasa like control on parts to make sure all components were identical with little variation which can help with generic profiles looking the same on all units it'll drive up the cost way high which Nintendo will avoid. For a low budget console like this you have to try not to be to uptight. Most people won't care about that so they don't bother.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!