Nintendo Network accounts tied to a single system

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With a small slew of Wii U launch issues reported, it seems another one has come to light: Nintendo Network accounts are bound to a single Wii U system.

That means if you buy a new system or your console breaks, you won't be able to transfer your account and you'll lose any products on that account, ie game progress or digital purchases.

Nintendo has stated that "A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PCs."

So if you're a recent Wii U owner, don't try to jump ship onto a second Wii U any time soon.

:arrow: Source

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If they are able to change this in the future, it's no problem in my book.
If they don't (also probable), it's a big problem, especially if some batch of consoles has a lot of bugs/issues.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
That means if you buy a new system or your console breaks, you won't be able to transfer your account and you'll lose any products on that account, ie game progress or digital purchases.

Wow just wow.

I thought a so called "next gen" console in 2012 would support basic functionality like being able to transfer account details for purchases etc. It's yet another slap in the face to early adopters, especially considering the number of Wii U's that have been getting bricked en masse due to its 5GB+ firmware updates. :/

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow just wow.

I thought a so called "next gen" console in 2012 would support basic functionality like being able to transfer account details for purchases etc. It's yet another slap in the face to early adopters, especially considering the number of Wii U's that have been getting bricked en masse due to its 5GB+ firmware updates. :/
On the bright side: You couldn't use the shop before installing the update anyway so no one lost any purchased games.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess this is misunderstood. I think what they meant is that it is not like the PS3 or an iPhone, with which you can redownload already bought games on another system if you log into it with your account, even when the games are still on the original system the games were bought with. So you purchase once and get the game on multiple systems for free...

I`m pretty sure that if you have a game downloaded on WiiU and you transfer everything from one to the other similar to 3DS (the original system will delete everything in this process) everything will go to the other system but you have no chance to have games you purchased once on multiple systems, just because you log into it with you NNID!

This is smart. Me and my brother share accounts on iPhone and me and one of my friends do the same thing on PSN, though that only works with 3 or 4 people as far as I know....

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And the plot thickens! I think I'll just wait a few years before buying the Wii U. The PS3 and Wii have still quite a few games left for me to enjoy :3

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
not only are nintendo network ids tied to a system it's also:
saves
eshop content
hard drives and usb drives
and everything else, the whole system is locked down pretty tight so people have a lot to loose if anything goes wrong with the system, you would be pretty stupid if you are going digital only on the wii u.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I am one sad Wii owner whose Wii crapped out a few months ago. I bought a new Wii but am unable to transfer my purchases. For this reason, I will not buy anything from the Wii U eShop until they sort this shit out.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
So wait..we will eventually be able to move everything we've bought over to another Wii U in the future right? Just not yet.
Otherwise that's a total turn off :(
Saying that, I've had the same Wii forever and it's fine still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)