Hardware Nintendo needs a 3DS lite.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And.................... Probably next from Nintendo will be the 3DH. It will be dual screens with holographic capability. But someone will probably bitch and say the lasers are too dangerous that it hurts their eyes.

D

Deleted_171835

Gorilla glass? How much do you want this thing to cost? It already a clam design, it is overkill. b4itscratchesitself I personally never had this problem and I didn't understand how it happening to others. Maybe it over exaggerated and most who didn't even have that problem are just jumping on the train.
Gorilla glass is awesome but not really necessary for a device this cheap. It would be nice, though.

The 3D is awesome. Tbh, you didn't really lose the 3D effect as long as it stays horizontal(well at least it hard to). No wait, hear me out. The 3D effect just changes. I wonder if a game can counter that change with the camera or motion controls. Detect movement then move the game visuals to match it. That said, I have no problem staying in the 3D "spot".
The 3D effect is sub-par and definitely not much of a breakthrough. The whole glasses-less 3D technology is still in its infancy. Until they manage to allow viewing of the effect without having to stay into a sweetspot, it's not going to take off. As for the whole detecting movement thing, that wouldn't work well considering how crappy the cameras are.

How is not having a second analog stick and low-quality cameras a flaw?
3DS was already pack to the fullest.
I have not once play a game on 3DS and be like "this really needs a second slide pad". The games played fine and imo with any 3DS game, I probably wouldn't say that.
A second analog stick is necessary for left-handed gamers and for camera control in certain type of games. Nintendo already acknowledged it as a flaw by revealing the slider pad, anyways.

Cameras do want they are meant to do. The do their job. Do they really need to be hd? Would that really increase the fun for you and are you really willing
to pay for it. Also, wouldn't hd cameras drain the battery more than the certain ones when in use?
Ok, maybe they could up the cameras a bit. Even then, that more of a want than a need. Not really a flaw.
The cameras are extremely crappy at 0.3 megapixels. And no, they don't do the job well. They have trouble recognizing the AR cards unless you're in a really bright place and work horribly in low-light conditions. I'm not asking for some high-quality 8MP sensors, just some decent ones. The 3D video recording application will be rendered useless because of this. Surely it wouldn't cost much for Nintendo to add some better cameras.

Any firmware/software issues or add-ons can be done by update.
Knowing Nintendo, I doubt they are going to fix any of the aformentioned software issues in an update.

Reactions: 1 person

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gorilla glass? How much do you want this thing to cost?
(you obviously only read the tl;dr)I don't think a thin strip of gorilla glass will make the console that much more expensive.
I wonder if a game can counter that change with the camera or motion controls. Detect movement then move the game visuals to match it. That said, I have no problem staying in the 3D "spot".
You may be on to something here, assuming that doing something like this wouldn't eat up too much processing power or inhibit the game developers design plans.

Brionac95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The 3ds doesn't need a 3DS Lite or a 3DS XL yet. The second slide pad on the right could be useful for left-handed people (replacing the right slide-pad with the stylus to move the visual) only with Firts Person Shooter games. But on a Racing Game, RPG Game, Arcade Game, Platform game... You can play quitely without a second slide pad too. So, the problem rises when a left-handed player plays a FPS Game. But if the settings of the game are good, you can change them based on which hand you use to move the character and the visual. IMHO, the 3DS is fine as it is now. For a new type of 3DS, we have to wait next year.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't say that the 3DS is a complete wtf design flaw. Look at it, the internals, there is no more space where they can add in a second stick. Even if the stick were added, the positioning and others, how would it feel? Yes, the cradle I admit looks like utter bullshit but at least it provides better hold for a second stick.

Stereoscopic 3D is still 'new' in the mobile devices, it can never be perfect. The 3DS can be said to be the first actual commercial gaming product which utilizes this tech. Some may say its dumb, yes, but remember it is still 'new'.

Like I said, I won't expect a 3DS Lite. It'll either be a 3DS S (lol) or a 3DS XL. The 3DS possibly cannot get any thinner, it packs much more than the DS Lite but it's almost the same size. The 3DS now is actually much more powerful than any other handheld Nintendo has ever released (if rumors are to be believed - the 3DS has a dual-core processor). The thing is just the unexpectedly bad launch window (not only games but the online features weren't available at launch) which just proves that the 3DS software is simply rushed like crap. Still, I believe the hardware is there.

Nintendo designed the entire device, they easily could've made it larger or something and put a second stick on it. Or just made it so games don't need a second stick.

Just because it's "new" doesn't mean it's necessarily good.

Also, the 3DS being the "most powerful handheld Nintendo has ever made"? Isn't that just completely redundant? It's a new handheld, they didn't realize "Eh, GBA power is enough nowadays, fuck the DS". The next console is always more powerful. Even then, the 3DS hardware isn't the Vita hardware, and I honestly think that's an issue.

Reactions: 2 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I won't say that the 3DS is a complete wtf design flaw. Look at it, the internals, there is no more space where they can add in a second stick. Even if the stick were added, the positioning and others, how would it feel? Yes, the cradle I admit looks like utter bullshit but at least it provides better hold for a second stick.

Stereoscopic 3D is still 'new' in the mobile devices, it can never be perfect. The 3DS can be said to be the first actual commercial gaming product which utilizes this tech. Some may say its dumb, yes, but remember it is still 'new'.

Like I said, I won't expect a 3DS Lite. It'll either be a 3DS S (lol) or a 3DS XL. The 3DS possibly cannot get any thinner, it packs much more than the DS Lite but it's almost the same size. The 3DS now is actually much more powerful than any other handheld Nintendo has ever released (if rumors are to be believed - the 3DS has a dual-core processor). The thing is just the unexpectedly bad launch window (not only games but the online features weren't available at launch) which just proves that the 3DS software is simply rushed like crap. Still, I believe the hardware is there.

Nintendo designed the entire device, they easily could've made it larger or something and put a second stick on it. Or just made it so games don't need a second stick.

Just because it's "new" doesn't mean it's necessarily good.

Also, the 3DS being the &q
uot;most powerful handheld Nintendo has ever made"? Isn't that just completely redundant? It's a new handheld, they didn't realize "Eh, GBA power is enough nowadays, fuck the DS". The next console is always more powerful. Even then, the 3DS hardware isn't the Vita hardware, and I honestly think that's an issue.
Larger and people will go "WTF IS THIS EVEN PORTABLE". (just kidding)

New doesn't mean good. Yes. But it improves over the years. Right now the largest problem with stereo 3D is the sweet spot issue, in a few years possibly the tech will have much better viewing angles (and some might change their views - although some I'm sure won't)

I'm saying the hardware internals are not exactly rushed and it's more of software, that's what I'm trying to point out. And of course, I personally think the 3DS does not need to have the same power as the Vita for gaming.

On topic: the 3DS Lite just seems so unlikely, as what guild pointed out they could make the device bigger to accommodate the 2nd stick but just not smaller.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I wonder if a game can counter that change with the camera or motion controls. Detect movement then move the game visuals to match it. That said, I have no problem staying in the 3D
You may be on to something here, assuming that doing something like this wouldn't eat up too much processing power or inhibit the game developers design plans.
It wouldn't really work. The parallax barrier is passive, and you'd have to somehow work around the physical shape of the barrier and screen, with inevitable losses. Inside the sweet spot, eyes see alternating columns of pixels and it's easy to know what goes where. Outside the sweet spot, eyes don't see alternating columns of pixels. Since the sweet spot is different for each individual (up to a point), it would be very hard to calculate what exact columns each eye sees (and plot the left/right images accordingly) once you move out of it, and you'd get blurred or dark lines at the edges of the barrier effect either way. You'd have to calibrate the thing for hours, and you'd get a crappy result overall.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all i want is nintendo to fix the wobble :(

It's there on purpose, not a defect of the system. I forget why it's included but they did it on purpose. Maybe it helps stop the "hinge breaking" issues the DS Lite had. If you thought a broken hinge on a DS was bad, try keeping the 3D effect with a broken 3DS hinge.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seriously, the bulky disgusting contraption that they've made to put on the 3DS defeats the purpose of a portable console. It pains me to see all the great games coming out for 3DS like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart because the current 3DS is so flawed. Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the gimmicky 3D and just wants to play awesome, portable games? The answer has to be a 3DS lite. Any opinions?

You cannot be serious.
First of all, that "bulky contraption" is optional. If you don't like it, avoid it.

Secondly, a lot of people already have problems with the 3DS being too small.
The normal NDS phat back then was already almost too small to properly hold and the 3DS is even smaller than that.
All the "lite", even tinier, versions are completely unplayable for people with big hands and/or fat fingers and really uncomfortable to use for people with normal hands/fingers, so the only people who would even WANT them are people with unusually small hands (girls/children/japanese people).

On top of that it would definitely be more expensive and more fragile than the normal 3DS, because the same technology needs to be fit into less space.
And the more expensive+fragile something is, the less good of an idea it is to take it with you outside. Unless you have shit tons of money to spare, you will be too scared to use an extra-expensive tiny fragile lite version of the 3DS outside of your home (The same reason I would never buy an iphone or similar. Who the fuck is stupid enough to always carry around a 500€+ tiny, easily stealable, easily breakable if you drop it even once, phone? Especially when all you get from it is useless gimmicks. I need my phone to make calls, maybe send a message once in a while, that's it.).

And lastly, probably the most important thing:
smaller 3DS -> smaller screen -> less enjoyable gaming experience
If all you care about is playing great games and having as much fun doing so as possible, the last thing you want is make the screen tinier so you can't see shit anymore.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Whether or not you people want a 3DS lite or not, it will be released one day. I sure something similar to this thread existed when the DS phat came out.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Whether or not you people want a 3DS lite or not, it will be released one day. I sure something similar to this thread existed when the DS phat came out.

Not quite.
When the DS phat came out, there was nothing as similar to it in a previous generation as there is now (the normal DS phat was, unlike the normal 3DS, actually "phat", it was not as small as the tiny GBA lite versions).
We have a situation where the first, "phat", version of the handheld released is as small as the "lite" version of the previous handheld (thus it is WAY too small for most people), and there is a person STILL asking for a smaller one.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont understand why so many people think the 3DS needs to change (Not as many as when it released but still...) I mean, do we REALLY need it to be smaller/bigger? I have pretty large hands and I can play for hours with out cramps (most I ever had was fingers falling asleep) and does it need more power? It plays the games and it looks decent so why does it need more power? The 3DS isnt supposed to be a cammera or anything so why does it need to be anymore then its current mp? (ok I wish it was atleast 2 MP but still its not THAT important)
Really anything the 3DS needs can be put on via updates (FC IM, Video/Voice Chat/ Video recording etc.) Really all I want is november to hurry up and get here :P.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seriously, the bulky disgusting contraption that they've made to put on the 3DS defeats the purpose of a portable console. It pains me to see all the great games coming out for 3DS like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart because the current 3DS is so flawed. Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the gimmicky 3D and just wants to play awesome, portable games? The answer has to be a 3DS lite. Any opinions?

I disagree. 3DS lite is a nono at this point.

ninten360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont understand why so many people think the 3DS needs to change (Not as many as when it released but still...) I mean, do we REALLY need it to be smaller/bigger? I have pretty large hands and I can play for hours with out cramps (most I ever had was fingers falling asleep) and does it need more power? It plays the games and it looks decent so why does it need more power? The 3DS isnt supposed to be a cammera or anything so why does it need to be anymore then its current mp? (ok I wish it was atleast 2 MP but still its not THAT important)
Really anything the 3DS needs can be put on via updates (FC IM, Video/Voice Chat/ Video recording etc.) Really all I want is november to hurry up and get here :P.

well there are plenty of legitimate changes to make for the 3DS lite, battery life being one of them, sure you can have an power adapter plugged in but it really defeats the purpose of being portable and i don't really want my screen to be dim as hell to gain a hour or 2, and the screen itself has a lot of room for improvement, it doesn't need to be bigger but they could have a new one with a better 3D viewing angle and uses less power and with the new analog stick attachment coming soon it should be a no-brainer to have it built in to the 3DS lite

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D is stupid. I bet after 15 years or so they will come out with a study saying 3D has side effects. Everyone thought cellphones and microwaves were safe.
People thought cigarettes were safe too, ti obviously doesn't matter
Because the 3DS can get so much smaller.
No it can't, don't be another example of gaming making you an idiot.
I agree with you, the 3DS is fundamentally flawed by design. There is the lack of a built-in second analog stick, the screen-scratching issue, the sub-par 3D effect and battery life, the low-quality cameras just to name a few problems. It's pretty surprising that Nintendo didn't realize that the 3DS was plagued by these issues during development. I would like to think that their engineers aren't that horribly incompetent. I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely skimped on some features so that they would have things to improve on in a redesign, though.

Hardware issues aren't the only thing wrong with the system, there are a number of problems with the software itself. The whole friend-code system is archaic and shouldn't have been there to begin with especially considering the WiiU won't have it, the eShop just plain sucks, the interface lacks polish (needs folders) and the friend list lacks any sort of messaging system rendering it useless. While all of these issues with the firmware itself can be fixed with a system update, I doubt this will happen knowing Nintendo but I would love to be proven wrong.

And to be honest, I doubt many people would have paid attention to the majority of these flaws if the 3DS had a solid launched. During E3, I was one of the many people who were genuinely excited for the system. If it was launched properly, I have no doubt that it would have been a hit. Sadly it was botched with a horrible launch-library, the fact that the eShop and internet browser weren't present at launch and the utter absence of proper advertising that helped the average consumer realize that it wasn't just another DS redesign. Nintendo should have waited until autumn or the holiday season before releasing the system. By then they would have been able to have some great games ready by both first and third party developers and everything (eShop, Nintendo Video, internet browser, etc.) else finished and ready for release.

This doesn't go without saying that I do think that the system will be a hit. The DS was about the same sales-wise as the 3DS until the DS Lite launched. I do think that the system needs a redesign, though. Certainly not now as that wouldn't be feasible and would be pretty much a kick in the face to existing customers but rather sometime in the near-future. The 3DS does have a lot going for it, there are a lot of great games coming for it and it's pretty damn powerful. If Nintendo manages to fix the flaws mentioned above in a redesign, the system should become a stellar hit.
Ninty is Ninty SONY is SONY, if there was no Vita ppl would never talk about a second analog stick, hell when the DS was out and we wanted an analog stick the quest was just how would they put it in the current design scheme. Why can't ppl just leave it alone, if your that pissed buy a Vita and change websites. Btw, has no one realized that the current market of Ninty features is for the JPN public and we're just getting features they want? Such as the FC feature, it's popular over there same for streepass, but they have a smaller country than ours. Oh and Akihabara.
When there is a 3DS Lite I will buy a 3DS :lol:
There won't be so plz hold your breath while you wait :)
Yeah someone already said but I wanted to say it too....But I think it would be a waste of time since you obviously don't know anything on the subject.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

well there are plenty of legitimate changes to make for the 3DS lite, battery life being one of them, sure you can have an power adapter plugged in but it really defeats the purpose of being portable and i don't really want my screen to be dim as hell to gain a hour or 2, and the screen itself has a lot of room for improvement, it doesn't need to be bigger but they could have a new one with a better 3D viewing angle and uses less power and with the new analog stick attachment coming soon it should be a no-brainer to have it built in to the 3DS lite

Still, I think this whole 3D thing is at its best as of now (unless they make the screen provide multiple 2 eye images coming from the screen at once, maybe then it will work.) Also we have tons on battery packs (just grab a PP+ or the Game Boost). Dont say its a no-brainer to put a 3rd party add-on that were not even sure how it will be used (Most of the time the touch screen is perfectly fine for cammera/aiming controls) so far the only game I have seen confrimed to use this thing is MH3G and MH4.

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I get about 4-5 hours of gaming on my 3DS, I have no complaints. And It's really a matter of skill if you can't play 3D motion games and keep the 3D effect while you play. You should re-read the instructions for those games no how to play and hold your 3DS. My GF doesn't even play games and after she got a 3DS it took her about 10min to figure out how to play Pacman/Galga w/o losing the 3D effect while moving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__