Nintendo may develop non-3D games for the 3DS

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Slyakin said:
Well, it's like if the devs of the PSV are forced to use the rear-touch panel.

It's good that it's optional. And can't 3D help with depth perception and making trickier jumps?

Well if you think about it you will know that the 3D cant do that & will mostly be just a gimmick for the 3DS. As the 3D cant be seen by some people ,making something in-game beatable using some 3D trick will make those people angry & nintendo wouldn't want that.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
2D games are fine, so long as they do not discard the 3D gimmick entirety...
So my guess is that they will hold out until near the end of the 3DS life cycle before they make any 2D first party games
dry.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Dragons_Master_F said:
Slyakin said:
Well, it's like if the devs of the PSV are forced to use the rear-touch panel.

It's good that it's optional. And can't 3D help with depth perception and making trickier jumps?

Well if you think about it you will know that the 3D cant do that & will mostly be just a gimmick for the 3DS. As the 3D cant be seen by some people ,making something in-game beatable using some 3D trick will make those people angry & nintendo wouldn't want that.
What I meant was: There could be jumps that can be made easier with 3D (depth perception) that can still be made without it.

It's like playing a game with sound cues if you're deaf, or color cues if you are color blind; It's still possible, but harder.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
commdante said:
I read an article about a game dev that was talking about not using the s3D-function, apparently it will allow them to use 3D on both screens. Which imo could be pretty interesting in puzzle games etc..
o_o
How the hell does that work?
Maybe by "3D on both screens" it means not using the "parallax barrier 3D" and having the "flat 3D" on both screens. So the same kind of "3D" the NDS could do, but on both screens.

As for this news post or whatever, I don't really care. Nintendo should have made Face Raiders 3D only when in the menus. Allowing it to be on while playing the game is a joke. I hope it's automatically disabled for games like that.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
many consider it a gimmick but its an interesting gimmick like the wii/motion controls is/was
otherwise i think this is an encouragement to devs that find it difficult to program 3d graphics that its ok to bring 2d games on the 3ds

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like it wasn't expected. Nintendo likes to keep all options open.

This is like getting surprised about games for the DS/Wii that didn't use the touch screen/motion controls.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can imagine how some dev are not so hot working on 3DS because of added labor from getting around the 3D feature
This might attract a lot more 3rd parties, i say good idea Big N and a must have actually.. now to hope for no shovel shower again

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
heartgold said:
I swear I've heard them say this before. ' You will see 2D games on the 3DS blah blah' Anyway the advantage straying away from 3D will allow other features like motion control to work properly and maybe a prettier screen to look at.
wink.gif
How about not losing 3D focus when using the motion control
wink.gif

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
I swear I've heard them say this before. ' You will see 2D games on the 3DS blah blah' Anyway the advantage straying away from 3D will allow other features like motion control to work properly and maybe a prettier screen to look at.
wink.gif
Yeah. It was told months ago that we would be seeing more games besides *insert the title that was announced to not have 3D* with possibly no 3D.
unsure.gif
I really can't remember the game but I do remember them saying the same thing.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
s3D (stereo(scopic) 3D, depth illusion) isn't hard to program at all, it's just a shifted 2nd camera. PC's can render about every game that's 3D (good old 3 dimensions that has been around for decades, perspective) in s3D for quite some time now, simply through drivers. The only thing that usually has to have some focus is effects behind the camera (the things that "come out of the screen) and GUI/aiming rectangle positions etc along the camera's z-axis.

And the NDS was capable of 3D on both screens, just not at the same time. The 3DS apparently now can if s3D isn't used.

It's not my fault if you learned the wrong abbreviations for different concepts or don't understand the mechanics behind them.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^I think there are games with 3D on bottom and top at the same time for the ds.
I think like Dragon Ball Origins.

Cubic Ninja was a non-3D game, but I believe that just shut the 3D off when using motion controls option.
Well I guess it may be possible for better looking games,but isn't Revelations enough?

I know it may be less work on devs, but other than that there is no point for non-3D games.

Since you can just turn the 3D off,correct?

,but meh... I guess they can if they want to, just don't stop completely.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hmm... Let's see exactly what Nintendo can come out with.

But seriously though, I'd prefer an awesome 2D game than one in 3D which is full of glitches.

shadowgauge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i think every game should have the option to play it in 2d and 3d a lot of us who enjoy the games in 3d would be left wondering how a game would look in 3d,we should have the option if we want to play in 3d or not just my opinion...what iwata should be concernd about are games that look like they belong on a regular ds im sorry but green lantern was a trash game and griptonite needs to make a new engine,every game they make is the same with a different skin and aren't they making shinobi i rest my case, i don't mind 2.5d but up your polygons griptonite,if i can play a game looking like mercenary you can make awesome looking 2.5d action games.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats fine with me.
The main selling point was the touch pad on the DS. (and two screens i guess)
But not all games used the touch pad (thank gosh)

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go figure. And here I thought they were going to attempt 3D on a gyro-centric game and simply let the effect crash and burn when you're holding it at the wrong angle. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, the inclusion of motion controls of any sort should've made this clear from the get-go.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of no 3D-effect that Cubic Ninja didn't do well.

I find it funny that many of those who don't like the 3D-effect are now complaining that companies may not actually use it in some of their games. They hate because they want a reason to hate. It's like complaining that a 2D (not 3D with no 3D-effect) game was on a 3D-capable system when the emphasis of the system was that it can render a bunch of polygons to make 3D environments. Yet, some of the best and most beautiful games on those systems are 2D. Not every game can use the 3D-effect effectively. If a game is not designed to work well with the 3D-effect, then it should not be forced to use it, just like with the touch-screen, WiFi, etc. As others have said, if a game doesn't use it, then that frees up system resources as it is not rendering 2 frames every screen refresh.

If developers wanted to (and if the system is designed for it), they could still have the system render 2 frames every refresh, but not activate the parallax barrier, so that instead of displaying a 400x240 image, it'll act like an 800x240 image.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
DiscostewSM said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of no 3D-effect that Cubic Ninja didn't do well.

Or it could be the most common culprit of poor sales, which is lack of advertising and poor review scores, both of which it had.
That's likely it, it happens to the best of 'em (or in this case, the good/ok of them)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo