Nintendo leaks continue, this time featuring N64 development repositories and source codes

9xCVsvl.png

Someone clearly left the faucet on, because we've got even more leaks. Yesterday's "Gigaleak", which contained in-development betas and source codes for Super Nintendo games has been added upon in a "Gigaleak II". Supposedly, a new file being distributed contains source codes for Nintendo 64 titles, including Super Mario 64, a corrupted version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Animal Forest, and much more, which is yet to be fully discovered.

A direct source/download link to the contents of this leak cannot be shared, as they are warez.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.22.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.22.04.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by shaunj66,

ghostbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo emulators are open source. It'd be trivial.
Yes but most code doesn't exactly have 100% unique signifiers in it. If it happened to resemble "official" code, wouldn't it just be a sign of a well-written emulator? Maybe I'm ignorant on this subject.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
GOOD that will tech them to try and pass off a handheld as a console and fucking up PM 4 times in a row! :creep:
Twice. Just twice. I will also fight you. :gun:
Interesting. Seems plausible. My question then becomes, who's uploading all of this? Did he give someone else access to the Nintendo servers back then or shared files with them or is he the one uploading them now (or at least indirectly by providing them to someone else for upload)? He got off easy back then, but now they have a potential suspect for who is uploading all of this and if it turns out it's him, he might not get off so easy.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has been known to steal ("borrow") code from emulators.
Can you specify? People started a rumor about them stealing public dumps of roms from online but that was proven false
They used publicly dumped NES ROMs for the Virtual Console. I don't think they've ever stolen code from emulators as they have their own in house emulators. Now, Sony stole PCSX for their mini Playstation, so there was that.

Anyway, relevant article:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes but most code doesn't exactly have 100% unique signifiers in it. If it happened to resemble "official" code, wouldn't it just be a sign of a well-written emulator? Maybe I'm ignorant on this subject.
It's possible to totally reimplement and rewrite code using the source as a point of reference, and it not look the least bit similar to the original. The SM64 project is a perfect example of this. The only thing it doesn't use is the copy written assets of the game. The player has to provide those. I mean, this is exactly what emulators are anyway; a reverse engineering of a console. Having the source will just make it easier.

Last edited by Joom,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GOOD that will tech them to try and pass off a handheld as a console and fucking up PM 4 times in a row! :creep:

In what world do you live in where the Switch is considered a console over a handheld? What the hell would that make the Switch Lite? I think part of the reason the Switch has sold as well as it has despite being so underpowered compared to what Sony and Microsoft have to offer for their consoles, is because most people recognize that the Switch is a powerful handheld that just so happens to also be playable on your TV.

FanofFans

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In what world do you live in where the Switch is considered a console over a handheld? What the hell would that make the Switch Lite? I think part of the reason the Switch has sold as well as it has despite being so underpowered compared to what Sony and Microsoft have to offer for their consoles, is because most people recognize that the Switch is a powerful handheld that just so happens to also be playable on your TV.
I'd say it's semantics, really. So it's either or, depending on one's views. I don't understand why people like you like to try and make it into a one-or-the-other argument, and get on others for their views of what it is.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They used publicly dumped NES ROMs for the Virtual Console. I don't think they've ever stolen code from emulators as they have their own in house emulators. Now, Sony stole PCSX for their mini Playstation, so there was that.

Anyway, relevant article:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

That was proven false about Nintendo a while back, I don't have time to get the source, but Nintendo has private dumps of their roms

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing is, if any of this is used to further emulation development, it would technically be illegal. Hopefully, that doesn't happen, as I want emulation to stay legal.

I mean, outside of copying the raw code itself, what if devs simply used the code to essentially do the same function, but it's written differently? Would that get them in trouble?

Or is this nothing like laws concerning plagiarism when it comes to computer language?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's semantics, really. So it's either or, depending on one's views. I don't understand why people like you like to try and make it into a one-or-the-other argument, and get on others for their views of what it is.

Seriously? You think I'm the dick in this situation? Did you read what I quoted? The guy is upset at Nintendo for "Trying to pass off a handheld as a console." Its a fucking portable hybrid (and one model is strictly portable), and that has been made clear as day from it's very first reveal; anyone that thinks Nintendo is trying to be sneaky or something with how they're presenting the system is clearly not even acknowledging the reality of what the system actually is, almost all ads I've seen for the system have shots of it being played portably, they're very clearly not trying to pass off a handheld as a console. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, outside of copying the raw code itself, what if devs simply used the code to essentially do the same function, but it's written differently? Would that get them in trouble?

Or is this nothing like laws concerning plagiarism when it comes to computer language?

What good would that do?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's starting to get interesting now. What's next? GameCube source code? Full source code of Paper Mario, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker etc.? :D

I would just love to see native ports of a lot of the GameCube and Wii library. Since Nintendo won't give us GameCube/Wii VC on the Switch and Dolphin is still pretty slow...

How about the last build of Resident Evil 1.5? Or a leak of that one Resident Evil 0 cartridge for the N64?

The former would be more helpful for a certain hacker who's name is but one of many constellations in the sky...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What good would that do?

Let's say the original source code basically said something like this:

"George Washington, due to his experience with the French and Indian War, was chosen as the leader for the Revolution."

What you'd do then is modify it slightly, maybe something to this effect:
"Thanks to his experiences in the French and Indian War, George Washington was chosen to fight for the Americans against the British red coats in the Revolutionary War."

I'm not sure if this would count as plagiarism myself, but it's essentially saying the same thing, but in a different way that isn't just using a thesaurus and replacing some of the words in the above statement.

My question is, could a programmer do the equivalent of the above with the code for their emulator with access to the source code and be safe, legally?

Or should I ask @m4xw about this?

FanofFans

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Seriously? You think I'm the dick in this situation? Did you read what I quoted? The guy is upset at Nintendo for "Trying to pass off a handheld as a console." Its a fucking hybrid, and that has been made clear as day from it's very first reveal; anyone that thinks Nintendo is trying to be sneaky or something with how they're presenting the system is clearly not even acknowledging the reality of what the system actually is, almost all ads I've seen for the system have shots of it being played portably, they're very clearly not trying to pass off a handheld as a console. That's all I'm saying.

A little bit, yeah. I think it's all about perception and I think it takes a level of arrogance to try and push that it's one or the other with such gusto.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little bit, yeah. I think it's all about perception and I think it takes a level of arrogance to try and push that it's one or the other with such gusto.
Alright whatever. But I think we should all recognize the reality, it's a portable hybrid, and one of the two available models is strictly portable. Nintendo isn't trying to pull a fast one on anyone to convince them that the device is strictly a console. But if you do view it that way... well Ok I guess, but that's clearly not correct.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Stop tagging me each time