Nintendo leaks continue, this time featuring N64 development repositories and source codes

9xCVsvl.png

Someone clearly left the faucet on, because we've got even more leaks. Yesterday's "Gigaleak", which contained in-development betas and source codes for Super Nintendo games has been added upon in a "Gigaleak II". Supposedly, a new file being distributed contains source codes for Nintendo 64 titles, including Super Mario 64, a corrupted version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Animal Forest, and much more, which is yet to be fully discovered.

A direct source/download link to the contents of this leak cannot be shared, as they are warez.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.22.04.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 08.22.04.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by shaunj66,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I mean, we got Mario 64 ported to the PC. I'm not saying one person is going to take in all the effort, go from step 1 to step 859. But I'm still confident that some of these will end up being ported to the switch, regardless, after some time. And like I said, it happened before with Mario 64, so I'm sure it'll happen here. That was from the source code. You seem to underestimate what people would be willing to do. There's a reason the Mario 64 port isn't just thrown around. It's illegal. I don't understand what you're trying to say. Regardless, it will happen from the source code, just as it did with Mario 64.
That was the result of someone decompiling it all by hand and building their own source. Not the same thing. The only legal issue is the rom used to build from the source. They don't supply that.

They're also doing the same thing with other games. Like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and the Zelda games. As far as I'm aware there is no copyrighted code being used in any of it.

Last edited by Kioku,

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are we still talking about Mario 64? The one that was ported? Because from what I read with the ports, it's literally built from the source code. If no copyrighted code was used, then how do we have what we are literally hearing and seeing from the gameplay? And regardless, it's still their game. So no, that wouldn't be dodging any legal reprocussions.
If they didn't use any copyrighted code or assets there's nothing Nintendo can do.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Are we still talking about Mario 64? The one that was ported? Because from what I read with the ports, it's literally built from the source code. If no copyrighted code was used, then how do we have what we are literally hearing and seeing from the gameplay? And regardless, it's still their game. So no, that wouldn't be dodging any legal reprocussions.
You're right. It is their game. That's why anyone caught releasing ports of their title will be under fire. The source they can't touch, yet. There's a reason you can't find readily available zips of SM64PC ready to play.

FanofFans

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That was the result of someone decompiling it all by hand and building their own source. Not the same thing. The only legal issue is the rom used to build from the source. They don't supply that.

They're also doing the same thing with other games. Like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and the Zelda games. As far as I'm aware there is no copyrighted code being used in any of it.
Oh. I thought they just compiled from the source code, I didn't know they built their own source? I thought if they built anything from the source code, it would leave them open to fire, in general. But I suppose I'm wrong. Thanks for informing me!

Reactions: Kioku

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some stuff in the previous leak was dated 2010. Which means the person still worked at Nintendo at that point and might very well have had access to GameCube and Wii source code. Plus one of the earlier leaks had Wii OS and SDK stuff in it.
They would be rather large though compared to the older games so who knows if the person dumped all of it even if they had access to it.
Hm.
The only story I've seen is that someone hacked into a company machines that had this data inside. Not read any rumor of an employee doing this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh. I thought they just compiled from the source code, I didn't know they built their own source? I thought if they built anything from the source code, it would leave them open to fire, in general. But I suppose I'm wrong. Thanks for informing me!
It's not literally their own source code, they decompiled the source code from official Super Mario 64.

The decompiled version when recompiled still works in the same way the original game worked. It's the exact same game.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hm.
The only story I've seen is that someone hacked into a company machines that had this data inside. Not read any rumor of an employee doing this.

It's not literally their own source code, they decompiled the source code from official Super Mario 64.

The decompiled version when recompiled still works in the same way the original game worked. It's the exact same game.
I kind of doubt they got hacked and didn't notice for long enough for someone to dump all of this data. They might get something but would get shut down pretty quickly if Nintendo has any competent admins.
It seems much more likely to be an employee who would know exactly where to look, and who wouldn't initially get second guessed when accessing said data.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hm.

It IS their own source code. You still need the rom to compile, but the heavy lifting is done from their own code.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It IS their own source code. You still need the rom to compile, but the heavy lifting is done from their own code.
Their own decompiled code which means they used tracing paper to create code that is functionally to the end gamer 1:1 to Nintendos original.

I kind of doubt they got hacked and didn't notice for long enough for someone to dump all of this data. They might get something but would get shut down pretty quickly if Nintendo has any competent admins.
It seems much more likely to be an employee who would know exactly where to look, and who wouldn't initially get second guessed when accessing said data.
How do you know how the relevant IT administration works? Have you done that work before yourself?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their own decompiled code which means they used tracing paper to create code that is functionally to the end gamer 1:1 to Nintendos original.

How do you know how the relevant IT administration works? Have you done that work before yourself?

I hope you don't resort to blindly defending Nintendo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I won't pretend to be an expert on infosec, but I have some idea of how it works. For one, it's pretty much a guarantee that any and all access is logged. And there's pretty much two main ways unauthorized access is detected. Either someone spots suspicious entries in the log file, or the person leaves traces behind due to their own actions. If you only download files and never upload or change anything, the only traces you will leave behind are in log files. Which is something any competent admin should be monitoring for cases exactly like this, so they can be detected and any compromised logins banned/changed as soon as possible.
And you can bet that <insert compromised user here> accessing every server on the network looking through all the files would set off some major red flags.
On top of that, sensitive data would probably not be stored on an internet-accessible server, they would have to VPN in which means they would need access to compromised VPN login information, just in order to even begin to access the server they want data from. That is assuming they even knew where to look, which if they were just some random person not associated with Nintendo, they wouldn't. Add all that up and it would take considerable time to track down the right server and locate the data unless they got lucky and stumbled upon it on the first try. The attempt should have been stopped long before any damage was done.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
When compiling the game, the compiler pulls assets from a dumped ROM. You have to provide that. This is why it's not illegal per se. It's the same concept as OpenRCT2, OpenMW, etc.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: zfreeman

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I won't pretend to be an expert on infosec, but I have some idea of how it works. For one, it's pretty much a guarantee that any and all access is logged. And there's pretty much two main ways unauthorized access is detected. Either someone spots suspicious entries in the log file, or the person leaves traces behind due to their own actions. If you only download files and never upload or change anything, the only traces you will leave behind are in log files. Which is something any competent admin should be monitoring for cases exactly like this, so they can be detected and any compromised logins banned/changed as soon as possible.
And you can bet that <insert compromised user here> accessing every server on the network looking through all the files would set off some major red flags.
On top of that, sensitive data would probably not be stored on an internet-accessible server, they would have to VPN in which means they would need access to compromised VPN login information, just in order to even begin to access the server they want data from. That is assuming they even knew where to look, which if they were just some random person not associated with Nintendo, they wouldn't. Add all that up and it would take considerable time to track down the right server and locate the data unless they got lucky and stumbled upon it on the first try. The attempt should have been stopped long before any damage was done.
ok

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some people say it was that guy : https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/28/...-vtech-security-hack-breach-researcher-guilty

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Someone clearly left the faucet on, because we've got even more leaks. Yesterday's "Gigaleak", which contained in-development betas and source codes for Super Nintendo games has been added upon in a "Gigaleak II". Supposedly, a new file being distributed contains source codes for Nintendo 64 titles, including Super Mario 64, a corrupted version of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Animal Forest, and much more, which is yet to be fully discovered.

A direct source/download link to the contents of this leak cannot be shared, as they are warez.
now to wait for gamecube leaks so we can potentially get a melee hd port
and a pikmin 1& 2 port, alongside a wind waker PC port... etc

GOOD that will tech them to try and pass off a handheld as a console and fucking up PM 4 times in a row! :creep:
Super paper mario is not a fuckup. i will fight you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9