Nintendo Labo announced

Nintendo has revealed the announcement they were teasing for today, and at 10 PM GMT, the Nintendo Labo was revealed to the public. Focusing on three key tenets of "make, play, and discover", the Nintendo Labo are "Toy-Cons" that consist of cardboard and can be crafted together to create things such as a little piano, house, fishing rod, and more. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons are then placed within them, for interactivity. To start, there will be two kits, one that's a variety kit which includes a fishing rod, 2 cars, a house, a motorbike handlebar, and a piano. The second, is a "robotic backpack suit". The products will cost $69.99 or $79.99 respectively.

Both sets will release on April 20, 2018, and Nintendo will be holding hands-on events to demo the Nintendo Labo in New York City from Feb. 2-3, and in San Francisco from Mar. 2-4. If you're interested, you can register for that here. The Labo will require folding the cardboard in order to make it form into the object you want, by following the guidlines provided in the box. Some of the creations will also have minigames that utilize the Joy-Cons, where you use the rumbling from the controller in order to know when to reel in the fishing pole. Also shown was a piano, which plays music when the cardboard keys are pressed.

zxUpDrE.png

vJcQ17Z.png

Get ready to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo! Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences that combine DIY creations with the magic of Nintendo Switch. Available on April 20, 2018.

:arrow: Official Site

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really like the ideas in the Multi-set. A rumble-driven car, a piano etc. Funny simple ideas.
But the Robo-Set is a bit stupid :D Who wants to walk around with a cardboard backpack?

I guess the idea stems from Miyamoto himself. Remember "Project Giant Robot" for Wii U? It was never released, but I guess it wasn't totally abandoned either.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The concept is cool! Will the software be worthwhile or something people will tire of quickly like 1-2 Switch? Will they expand the software or physical components beyond what comes with it? How much room will there actually be for real experimentation? So many questions.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The concept is cool! Will the software be worthwhile or something people will tire of quickly like 1-2 Switch? Will they expand the software or physical components beyond what comes with it? How much room will there actually be for real experimentation? So many questions.
Honestly I could see free DLC and cheap extra cardboard sets

Reactions: m_babble
D

Deleted-368796

YES!!! I can finally cash in on my cardboard hoard stash
and my family laughed at me for saving all those boxes. Look who's laughing now...

Reactions: Taleweaver

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I don't think the software must be "worthwhile" games. It will be important that you can use your builds for something . For example you don't need a full racing game for the motorcycle handle. It will be enough when you are able to steer a motorcycle around a circle. Or it will be enough that the RC Car is driving, It is like building something with Lego Technic. You are happy when everything moves. It will be satisfying to build a piano which actually make sounds. You don't need a piano game.

Reactions: m_babble

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Cool idea, but feels like a shitty Kickstarter thing....plus $70 USD for one. (About $87 Canadian. Are you shitting me?)

And not to mention, you need the Nintendo Switch as well.

Can't wait for the engineers in China to reverse engineer these things and make their own.

Last edited by astrangeone,

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the software must be "worthwhile" games. It will be important that you can use your builds for something . For example you don't need a full racing game for the motorcycle handle. It will be enough when you are able to steer a motorcycle around a circle. Or it will be enough that the RC Car is driving, It is like building something with Lego Technic. You are happy when everything moves. It will be satisfying to build a piano which actually make sounds. You don't need a piano game.

Yeah. So like little maker projects that involve the Switch. Hopefully there's room to stray from what they provide to create your own projects.

Reactions: orcid
D

Deleted-368796

So, how do they plan on packaging this? Will it be in a cardboard box?
Couldn't possibly. That would make the packaging cost as much or more than the product.
Nintendo would never.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The majority of the price comes from the software. Really you're paying $60 for the game and $10 for the cardboard
I know but I dont really see the software being other than small little minigames. They are most likely small mini games that came with things like wario ware

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I really like the ideas in the Multi-set. A rumble-driven car, a piano etc. Funny simple ideas.
But the Robo-Set is a bit stupid :D Who wants to walk around with a cardboard backpack?
Many of the target audience for this product, of which you might not be.

I really feel like a lot of the responses on here aren't realizing this isn't even for them. Even their statement before this was revealed was that "it's for kids and those who still feel like a kid inside." If that doesn't apply to you or your interests, then why hate on this? How does it affect you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1