Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

zenjiki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats is what is so interesting.
Should it be legal to emulate after the lifetime of said console or should it be free to do whenever?

Since this in fact do hurt Nintendo sales since people don't need to buy a Switch to play the games.
And that’s why I think everyone is overreacting over this, and assuming that next is every Nintendo emulator will be and and then all emulators. I don’t think that’s the case at all.

Just as Sony did with Bleemcast, Nintendo is doing the same with Yuzu, an emulator that emulates a system that is still selling well.

If they cared about other emulators of their older systems, I think they would have gone after them a long time ago. Same with other console makers, I’m sure they don’t can’t about emulators of older systems.

Last edited by zenjiki,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And that’s why I think everyone is overreacting over this, and assuming that next is every Nintendo emulator will be and and then all emulators. I don’t think that’s the case at all.
Of course that's the case. Nintendo doesn't care about whatever small monetary settlement they can squeeze out of the Yuzu devs, they care about setting a precedent which can be used to end emulation altogether. Their stance is and has always been that ALL emulation is piracy, even if people use dumps of their own legally-purchased cartridges.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Yuzu team has all but handed them the verdict thanks to the release day dump blogs.

Ethically, I’m torn regarding this. For current systems, I actually see where Nintendo is coming from. For older systems like, 3DS and WiiU I support emulating those since technically they don’t make games and systems anymore.

Agree with both points here. Arcade emus set the standard in the late '90s/early '00s by never including or publicly releasing XOR keys for games that were new and still making a profit, they safely stood behind a general "we don't endorse piracy, go pop a quarter into the machine" stance. You had to look hard to find community-dumped keys for anything current. The Yuzu team has completely blurred that line by doing everything so openly that Nintendo can easily argue cash donations incentivized them to make games playable on Day 1 or sometimes even before release.

Money will always draw the wrong kind of attention. Nintendo has shown it mainly looks for sources that are generating revenue and goes after them, and rightfully so:

(TX) Modchips+Romsites+Ads = Cash
(Yuzu) Emu+Patreon = Cash

Nintendo winning against Yuzu means the end of donation-incentivized emulation, it won't do anything to the many emulators that have learned to "stay in their lane" legally.

ItsAshleyFTW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't care for Switch emulation; since the Switch is still being supported I am morally opposed to pirating Switch games. I've tinkered with Yuzu/Ryujinx a few times, but I would much rather use my Switch and cartridges. Anything from 3DS, Wii U, PS3 and before I would say is fair game. I do think Nintendo has the right to sue over the donations thing, I believe emulators should be free, open-source, and not for profit. Don't know about the prod keys thing, I don't think yuzu comes with those keys.

I also think Nintendo has a potential PR nightmare on their hands if they prevail in their lawsuit against Yuzu. It seems to be the general consensus to most people on the internet that emulation seeks to preserve old titles and prevent them from being lost to time, and that Nintendo isn't doing a good job at providing their back catalog to consumers. Nintendo is not gonna look great if they later end up taking Citra, Dolphin, etc. to court. I'm not saying Nintendo would care about the backlash this would cause, but this time could be different since they are going after emulation software for what seems to be the first time. I'm sure people would be furious if 20 years down the road people have a whole bunch of useless Switch cartridges since most of their Switches overheated and the price of a working Switch would be like $100,000 on Ebay. Hell, I could even see non-profits like the Internet Archive and Electronic Frontier Foundation getting involved.

Reactions: Kitocco

kiaghi7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No and that is concerning. I wonder if they legally cannot discuss from a gag order so they can't drum up public support
Don't get overly worked up about that, it is routine that their legal advisor will tell them NOT to comment in any way about ongoing litigation, precisely because anything they say or do can be used in court, and it's better to just say nothing at all than to risk saying anything (even if it seems perfectly right and honest) because Nintendo's lawyers are looking at it as well and even if taken out of context, will do everything they can to weaponize their words against them in any way they can.

There is almost certainly not a gag order against them, there's no real need, that's typically to prevent slanderous speech or worse yet inflammatory speech that might have someone involved in the case or even the courthouse/staff put at risk or outright threatened.

Tomtani1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are they not wrong.

Not everyone pirates games, some of us have legally dumped our own game cartridges and would rather emulate it on better hardware than Nintendo's cheap shitty inferior hardware.

I mean, we can actually get to play Nintendo's very own "First Party" titles in FULL HD or even 4K resolution, which LOL still waiting for Nintendo to catch up and start to fully support even the basics of HD formats - 1080p, as its games struggle to even run on its official hardware.

We also get to run games at better frame rates than trying to play the game on Nintendo's shitty cheap inferior hardware, we also get game fixes and improvements to Nintendo Switch games in which Nintendo STILL FAILS at even trying to IMPROVE Breath of the Fucking Wet Fart, even Tears of the Dogs Arse has seen vast improvements and fixes from the community that Nintendo actually providing you these fixes, considering you've paid them by buying their shit games.

As for "PROFITING" Nintendo again doing what they do best, Seek out any excuse to SUE for Millions over some BS claim of DAMAGES and LOST SALES just so they can steal more money, like they fucking focus more on taking people to court than they do putting effort in giving us better/new fucking games to play.

AS for its PATREON that doesn't go towards PIRACY at all and its amazing how LARGE companies like Nintendo are able to BUY OUT the LEGAL SYSTEM to SUITE THEIR NEEDS, those who support the development of the emulator are simply supporting the development, the time the team spend working on it and possible hardware to do so.

FACT is Nintendo are always crying over emulators insisting that they allow Piracy, which in a sense it does not contain any of Ninteno's code or software, and why would it come with such so called piracy prevention methods (which is absolutely FUCKING hilarious because from day 1 the Nintendo Switch has done sweet FUCK ALL to BLOCK exploits or the ability to run backed up games).

Emulators obviously do not include so called Anti Piracy tools, because they clearly state the emulators are for users who wish to play their own backed up games.

The REAL PROBLEM HERE is that Nintendo have no means to prevent its exploits and piracy, they could have if they actually SPENT MONEY doing so, rather than SHITTING OUT a different model which they basically moved its board exploit point from A to B so the old method wouldnt work, but its not as if Nintendo were at a loss buy SHITTING OUT another model, its not as if they arent CUNTS for constanly SHITTING OUT vast amount of different versions of the same console.

Also another FACT when they were even showcasing its next SHITGEN console, it running off a PC using a CHEAP watered down version of UE5, likely to be its next CHEAP OLD SHITTY HARDWARE CONSOLE and it running ZELDA with graphical improvements using UE5 in which WE ALREADY HAD thanks to these EMULATORS and given these FREE UPDATES so we can again, ACTUALLY GET a BETTER EXPERIENCE playing Nintendo's FIRST PARTY TITLES.

BUT THIS ALSO gain goes to SUGGEST that this PC EMULATOR that they were running, nicely hidden away from sight, this ZELDA GAME going to be Nintendo AGAIN RECYCLING THE SAME SHIT yet again over to its NEXT SHITGEN CONSOLE, thus its IDIOTIC FANBOYS will be blindly rushing to buy the same game again and be like WOW ITS AMAZING.

Meanwhile normal folks be like MEH, so what, we STILL get better thanks to these EMULATORS and are able to play the EXACT same game with better fixes and mods without having to buy Nintendo's SHITTY INFERIOR HARDWARE NEXT GEN CONSOLE to play the EXACT SAME GAMES ALL OVER AGAIN.

And just because Nintendo can't protect its own games ensuring that when they release it, that it is to TRUSTED folks that aren't going to LEAK its games EARLY, or EVEN maybe NOT give out its games at such an early point so that people cant dump it and release it early.

This is THEIR PROBLEM and FAULT, has sweet fuck all to do with emulators, as it is NOT the creators of the EMULATORS that are leaking said games early nor are they even providing links for people to illegally download and PIRATE Nintendo Switch Games.

And as for its MILLIONS claim of DAMAGES, their is no means of providing proof that this emulator has even caused Nintendo DAMAGES to its STUPID claim, just them as usual paying their LEGAL DOGS to CORRUPT AND CHANGE LAWS TO SUITE THEIR NEEDS

It is also HIGHLY LIKELY that those who illegally downloaded PIRATED Nintendo's shit games will have had NO INTEREST in even BUYING THEIR SHIT GAMES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Those that had interest in buying the game will have done so, and at the same time will have either dumped their own game cartridges or just downloaded it, but fact is THEY STILL BOUGHT THE GAME and LIKE MYSELF with games I emulate games, are the VERY FEW games that are actually WORTH PLAYING as always Nintendo ALWAYS FAIL AND LACK THIS SO CALLED BETTER THIRD PARTY SUPPORT PROMISE that they KEEP ON SPITTING OUT, NEVER HAPPENS and they KNOW this as they INTENTIONALLY SET OUT TO PREVENT THIRD PARTY SUPPORT.

Nintendo Act like their own GOVERNMENT where they have VERY STRICT CONTROL over what people can do, even web browsing has strict rules that they will PREVENT YOU FROM ACCESSING WEBSITES as they DEMAND.

Nintendo share the same attitude with its SHIT CONSOLES, they set out to have FULL CONTROL over its consoles game market and set out to PREVENT COMPETITION from its so called BETTER THIRD PARTY SUPPORT by ALWAYS releasing CHEAP SHITTY INFERIOR HARDWARE so that THIRD PARTIES are PREVENTED from even SUPPORTING Nintendo with their NEW AAA TITLES.

SO it leaves the MARKET open for their USUAL SAME OLD RECYCLED SHIT when there's NOTHING NEW from THIRD PARTIES, so they have removed any/all COMPETITION ensuring their GAMES GET BETTER SALES.

Like what really is the likeliness Nintendo Fanboys be like OHHH LETS BUY THIS THIRD PARTY GAME which is ported back from PAST GEN consoles - Which Nintendo DID FAIL as ALWAYS to get when it FIRST RELEASED or LETS BUY THE SAME OLD RECYCLED MARIO TITLES (which the FANBOYS will always BLINDLY defend Nintendo as they do).

And as for their BULLSHITE excuse about KEYS, YUZU simply provide a FAQ on how to obtain them LEGALLY from your console, do we see Nintendo seeking LEGAL DAMAGES to GOOGLE who do exactly the same and provide links and guides on how to do so, they also provide top result links to even download Nintendo games so easily.

They simply hate the FACT that EVERYTHING that Nintendo does, EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO BETTER, the FACT PROVES that Nintendo NO LONGER CARE ABOUT Creating QUALITY GAMES, they CANT EVEN BE ARSED to make sure ITS OWN GAMES run BETTER, they are ALWAYS 5 STEPS BEHIND EVERYONE else, simply because they ALWAYS seek to use the CHEAPEST HARDWARE, AS LONG as its OWN TITLES are somewhat able to run, that is all that matters.

THE FANBOYS have PROVEN that they will continue to BLINDLY KEEP RE-BUYING Nintendo's recycled shit over and over, they even make the excuse when Nintendo couldnt be arsed and kept porting over WII U games, said EXCUSE of NOT BEEN ABLE TO HAVE PLAYED IT FIRST TIME ROUND.

Though if that were the case, its HIGHLY LIKELY if you had NOT played all of these OLD LAZY PORTS then there IS a REASON FOR DOING SO, but ALSO, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY Nintendo's NEXT SHITTY INFERIOR SO CALLED NEXT GEN CONSOLE to play all of these OLD SHITTY RECYCLED PORTS.

Its actually PROVEN that we NO LONGER NEED Nintendo to keep RELEASING OLD INFERIOR SHITTY HARDWARE just to play OLD PORTS and the SAME OLD RECYCLED SHIT. They should just become THIRD PARTY so that those who MAY WISH to play these SHIT TITLES, they can do so on ACTUAL NEXT GEN HARDWARE and GET THE OPTION TO ALSO PLAY TODAYS CURRENT AAA THIRD PARTY TITLES.

But AGAIN, Nintendo LAUGH as they know their LOYAL FANBOYS are like BRAINDEAD SHEEP and will FLOCK to KEEP BUYING THEIR SHITE HARDWARE and RECYCLED GAMES, so the ONLY Reason they KEEP DOING SO is because their FANBOYS ARE BUYING THEIR SHIT CONSOLES.

To be FAIR, I THINK NINTENDO LIE IN COURTS TO EARN MORE MONEY THAN WHAT THEIR GAMES ARE ACTUALLY GETTING and LIE about DAMAGES to pull some BS FIGURE out of their ARSE.

And I think its time these CORRUPT JUDGES THAT CLEARLY ARE PAID OUT stop doing as Nintendo demand because this Emulator does not come with nor does it include anything that belongs to Nintendo, nor is it the cause of PIRACY on their CONSOLES.

SO its TIME NINTENDO GETS A BIG MASSIVE FUCK YOU and FUCK OFF.

Id rather EMULATE the VERY MINIMAL NUMBER OF GAMES that I FIND WORTHY OF EVEN BUYING and KEEP MY ORIGINAL GAME SEALED AWAY where it will INCREASE in VALUE SIMPLY BECAUSE (WHICH MAINLY ONLY APPLIES TO NINTENDO) AS SOON AS THEY END A CONSOLES LIFE, IT PRETTY MUCH INSTANTLY DISSAPEARS FROM ALL GAME STORES AND FACT IS, ITS VERY LIMITED GAME SUPPORT SHOWS THIS FACT AS YOU ALREADY FIND THE VERY LIMITED SHELF SPACE FOR NINTENDO GAMES GETTING SMALLER AND SMALLER, BUT AGAIN, ITS GAMES RAPIDLY VANSIH NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN, UNLESS YOU ARE A COLLECTOR TO WHICH IS THE EXACT REASON TO WHY NINTENDO GAMES ARE THE MAIN GAMES THAT INCREASE IN VALUE TO STUPID AMOUNTS.
I agree with a lot of what you have mentioned. With the level of anger that you displayed, maybe you should not buy any Nintendo product again. Let's boycott Nintendo.

SleepyLark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably already mentioned, but I'm still curious if maybe the Switch 2 is using similar elements as the Switch (like how the Wii was with the GameCube) and Nintendo is worried that an emulator will easily be made within the first couple of months of release. It would make more sense why they decided to do it now instead of 6 months ago unless they've really been planning this for a while.

Hopefully Yuzu is able to win, but I doubt they'll ever be able to recover afterwards. It's really a shame that these big companies can get away with bullying people to bankruptcy by harassing them with legal fees.

In any case I'm very curious to see what kind of precedent this will set in the legal system

Reactions: Xzi

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
The whole lawsuit and filing is a big joke. It seems it was made by some 16 yo Nintendo fanboys, I mean who the effing fuck would cite twitter and reddit as evidence to back up a claim, you need to be that desperate to steep that low.

I just hope after hearing the sale figures since they clearly put emphasis on that leak would bite them in their asses. No other company sold over 20 million copies in a very short period. These sale numbers can only be achieved in 3-5 years but this company coped it in 6 months with a game that cost $70 that never goes on sale.

Last edited by Hassal,

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1762576284817768457

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source
what no it doesnt

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
So nobody is allowed to discuss anything unless it's guaranteed to change the outcome of what we're discussing? Thanks for letting me know

It's just that people tend to pile on Nintendo as being the villain (deserved or not) first, and ask questions later. When in truth this lawsuit challenges major provisions of the DMCA. If Yuzu loses, it could set the precedent that circumventing DRM for personal use is illegal.

Reactions: Kitocco

tsam2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The difference in views between the emulation community and normal gamers is interesting.

I mean the top comment on this ign article covering this is essentialy happy about the lawsuit.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ninten...e-release-in-lawsuit-against-emulator-creator
It gets better if you scroll down:
"Buying a license one time doesn’t give you the right to play it however and whenever you want to forever. You’re a thief. You’re purchasing the game just to resell it while you keep a copy for free. You are the problem."

In the end Nintendo will sue everyone who breathes next to a Switch.

Last edited by tsam2,

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Buying a license one time doesn’t give you the right to play it however and whenever you want to forever. You’re a thief. You’re purchasing the game just to resell it while you keep a copy for free. You are the problem."

holy… imagine being that brainwashed… i guess ign is filled with more normie than I expected

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

You shouldn't trust anyone over the internet especially someone hiding behind a keyboard. That could just be some brainwashed kid that knows nothing better. There's also plenty of mentally ill people out there, impersonators, trolls, people who talk talk but don't practice what they preach, people who work or share stock in the company, of course its the best of their interest to defend the company no matter how morally wrong they are that's just the way of life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps