OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So Nintendo has a secret master plan now, starting with New Super Mario Bros. Wii you wont even need to play their games any more. If you get stuck in a tricky area you will be able to enter a demo mode and let the game itself complete that part for you. This new "demo play" feature has been confirmed by Shigeru Miyamoto and will probably be incorporated in all new Nintendo titles.

QUOTE said:
"In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, if a player is experiencing an area of difficulty, this will allow them to clear troubled areas and take over when they're ready," Miyamoto told USA Today. "And yes, we're looking into this for future games, too."

Nintendo's mission of destroying gaming continues!
mad.gif

sources:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/dem...ech-for-gamers/

http://itsdangeroustogoalone.com/2009/06/1...kill-challenge/

http://www.examiner.com/x-12752-Dallas-Vid...he-game-for-you

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Right, get your facts straight before you start whining your face off.

- Demo Play doesn't beat levels for you, nor does it even beat segments of levels for you;
- It shows you how to beat the segment you're stuck on, then you have to complete it yourself;
- If you enter Demo Play, you cannot save until you exit it;
- Exiting Demo Play puts you back in the same position you were in when you entered Demo Play;

Oh, and did I mention you don't actually have to use it either? It's a good move, since it means even casual gamers will start playing core games. Nintendo, however, realises that the people who play WiiFit (for example) won't have the skill required to beat a game like Silent Hill - therefore, they've merely implemented a way for casual gamers to start walking the path towards core gamerhood. Sure, it's more of an example of Nintendo caring more about casual gamers than core ones, but at least now they're showing interest in turning the former into the latter.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wintrale said:

- Demo Play doesn't beat levels for you, nor does it even beat segments of levels for you;
- It shows you how to beat the segment you're stuck on, then you have to complete it yourself;
- Exiting Demo Play puts you back in the same position you were in when you entered Demo Play;

Oh, and did I mention you don't actually have to use it either? It's a good move, since it means even casual gamers will start playing core games. Nintendo, however, realises that the people who play WiiFit (for example) won't have the skill required to beat a game like Silent Hill - therefore, they've merely implemented a way for casual gamers to start walking the path towards core gamerhood. Sure, it's more of an example of Nintendo caring more about casual gamers than core ones, but at least now they're showing interest in turning the former into the latter.
Good point. I'm sure Nintendo is going this way
smile.gif

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Seems a bit like cheating. Though if this truly is going to be implemented into new games, there should be a system which implements a cheating status/lower score on completed levels using this technique or maybe only allowed on "Easy" modes of games. IMHO I don't really like this idea as if a played gets stuck in the game, what is the whole point of that problem created in the game. It shouldn't matter about casual gamers playing hardcore gamer games, nobody should need this, if all else fails, consult the internet. If a casual gamer wants to become a hardcore gamer, then they start to walk the path of figuring out by themself how to accomplish the goals, that is part of what a hardcore gamer is.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well surely they wouldn't implement this on say puzzle games, as thats just like giving you the answer from the beggining so you wouldn't see it in a game like Braid ... surely.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Wintrale said:

Silent Hill? Really? Weren't the puzzles like Square Emblem in Square Hole? A better example is needed.

Oh well, I guess it's faster than going to GameFAQs.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Wintrale said:

Nintendo have patented the demo play feature, and it consists of.

QUOTEThe patent in question, outlined a system for helping players through difficult gameplay scenarios by allowing them to have the game automatically play through them.

So shush your noise.

yaypsp.gif

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:
Seems a bit like cheating. Though if this truly is going to be implemented into new games, there should be a system which implements a cheating status/lower score on completed levels using this technique or maybe only allowed on "Easy" modes of games. IMHO I don't really like this idea as if a played gets stuck in the game, what is the whole point of that problem created in the game. No one should need this, if all else fails, consult the internet.

As I said, it's there to ease casual gamers into core games. Show them how we complete levels, so that they can then learn how to play games like we do. Any core gamer that uses this Demo Play should be ashamed of themselves. As for consulting the internet, I'd imagine it's pretty overwhelming for a 40 year old guy who hasn't touched videogames for almost 20 years to sign up to forums and embarrass himself by posting about how he's stuck and needs help. If I had the choice between asking complete strangers for help and being given an option that would provide it automatically, I'd definitely choose the latter in their shoes.

Any self-professed core gamer who uses Demo Play should be ashamed of themselves for being so weak. But then again, they'd be the type who cheats and hacks their games so it's not surprising.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
this is more proof.
Firstly, they certified Ubisoft's imagine series,
then, they started Touch Generations
afterwards, they released the DSi
now, they've removed the gaming from gaming.

WHYYY???

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't see what's the problem here.. it's a great idea to me. I stopped playing many games cause I got stuck and lost my patience.

Anyway, it's just an extra feature, no one is forcing you to use it.. this is complaining about a perfectly good Sunday because it has a cherry on top. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, JUST DON'T EAT THE DAMN CHERRY!

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
To be honest, I don't mind it at all....It's like cheats in games....Some people use it some don't, I never cheat, because it ruins the game for me, so would this, so I'm not going to use it, however, I don't mind having the option if there really is a situation that might require it..

I literally don't have any feelings toward it, it surely won't ruin the game for me, but it won't make it better either..

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Nintendo have patented the demo play feature, and it consists of.

QUOTE said:
The patent in question, outlined a system for helping players through difficult gameplay scenarios by allowing them to have the game automatically play through them.

So shush your noise.

yaypsp.gif

Right.

The patent lists three types of help offered to the player. The first, "Game," is quite simply playing the game, with optional video hints that pop up in the corner of the screen. "Digest" is the aforementioned video walkthrough, wherein a player can press a button to jump into the action using preloaded saves downloaded from a network. But, players can't save the game using the Digest mode, so they'll need to accomplish the feats on their own to continue as normal. Finally, "Scene" allows players to skip to particular parts of a game, similar to a scene selection option of a DVD movie.

You really need to read the patent, rather than reading what The Examiner says about the mechanic and using that as your main source.

The first mode, Game, doesn't let you play at all. The game plays itself, showing you how to do things. Digest shows you how to do a specific section, lets you try it yourself and doesn't let you save if you succeed. Scene merely skips to select scenes from the first Mode, so you can target specific areas of difficulty.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Toni Plutonij said:
To be honest, I don't mind it at all....It's like cheats in games....Some people use it some don't, I never cheat, because it ruins the game for me, so would this, so I'm not going to use it, however, I don't mind having the option if there really is a situation that might require it..

I literally don't have any feelings toward it, it surely won't ruin the game for me, but it won't make it better either..

Doesn't the fact that Narin will be rendered redundant make you sad Toni?

Because it makes me sad.

Very sad indeed.

sad.gif

Gullwing

homo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Well surely they wouldn't implement this on say puzzle games, as thats just like giving you the answer from the beggining so you wouldn't see it in a game like Braid ... surely.
Well it could be cheating if the game had sotryline (as all of us know that Miyamoto doesn't focus on the story on Mario games but on gameplay).... People mainly cheat in a game either to continiue the storyline or to have some fun...

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Wintrale said:
QUOTE said:
The patent lists three types of help offered to the player. The first, "Game," is quite simply playing the game, with optional video hints that pop up in the corner of the screen. "Digest" is the aforementioned video walkthrough, wherein a player can press a button to jump into the action using preloaded saves downloaded from a network. But, players can't save the game using the Digest mode, so they'll need to accomplish the feats on their own to continue as normal. Finally, "Scene" allows players to skip to particular parts of a game, similar to a scene selection option of a DVD movie.

You really need to read the patent, rather than reading what The Examiner says about the mechanic and using that as your main source.

The first mode, Game, doesn't let you play at all. The game plays itself, showing you how to do things. Digest shows you how to do a specific section, lets you try it yourself and doesn't let you save if you succeed. Scene merely skips to select scenes from the first Mode, so you can target specific areas of difficulty.

Game: Can't play, its like a movie

Digest: Whats the point, might as well just use Game

Scene: Sounds better, but I'm sure their "specific areas of difficulty" wouldn't be anything worth trying, so might as well use Game.

I might as well go find a youtube walkthrough video or something if this becomes extensive use, since they would probably make some really hard areas to justify this function to fans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: With other peoples couches