Nintendo hates gaming

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by p1ngpong, Jun 20, 2009.

Jun 20, 2009

Nintendo hates gaming by p1ngpong at 12:53 PM (4,039 Views / 0 Likes) 60 replies

1. p1ngpong
    OP

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    So Nintendo has a secret master plan now, starting with New Super Mario Bros. Wii you wont even need to play their games any more. If you get stuck in a tricky area you will be able to enter a demo mode and let the game itself complete that part for you. This new "demo play" feature has been confirmed by Shigeru Miyamoto and will probably be incorporated in all new Nintendo titles.

Nintendo's mission of destroying gaming continues! [​IMG]

sources:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/dem...ech-for-gamers/

http://itsdangeroustogoalone.com/2009/06/1...kill-challenge/

http://www.examiner.com/x-12752-Dallas-Vid...he-game-for-you

2. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    This really sucks...

3. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    That's crazy, what next? It's like they're slowly directing the change from games to movies.

4. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    This may be because the Wii is turning towards "casual players" they may not want any challenges and only want easy fun. Maybe it means better difficulty toning?

5. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Right, get your facts straight before you start whining your face off.

- Demo Play doesn't beat levels for you, nor does it even beat segments of levels for you;
    - It shows you how to beat the segment you're stuck on, then you have to complete it yourself;
    - If you enter Demo Play, you cannot save until you exit it;
    - Exiting Demo Play puts you back in the same position you were in when you entered Demo Play;

Oh, and did I mention you don't actually have to use it either? It's a good move, since it means even casual gamers will start playing core games. Nintendo, however, realises that the people who play WiiFit (for example) won't have the skill required to beat a game like Silent Hill - therefore, they've merely implemented a way for casual gamers to start walking the path towards core gamerhood. Sure, it's more of an example of Nintendo caring more about casual gamers than core ones, but at least now they're showing interest in turning the former into the latter.

6. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Good point. I'm sure Nintendo is going this way [​IMG]

7. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    it is actually a good idea..

8. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Seems a bit like cheating. Though if this truly is going to be implemented into new games, there should be a system which implements a cheating status/lower score on completed levels using this technique or maybe only allowed on "Easy" modes of games. IMHO I don't really like this idea as if a played gets stuck in the game, what is the whole point of that problem created in the game. It shouldn't matter about casual gamers playing hardcore gamer games, nobody should need this, if all else fails, consult the internet. If a casual gamer wants to become a hardcore gamer, then they start to walk the path of figuring out by themself how to accomplish the goals, that is part of what a hardcore gamer is.

9. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Well surely they wouldn't implement this on say puzzle games, as thats just like giving you the answer from the beggining so you wouldn't see it in a game like Braid ... surely.

10. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom

Silent Hill? Really? Weren't the puzzles like Square Emblem in Square Hole? A better example is needed.

Oh well, I guess it's faster than going to GameFAQs.

11. p1ngpong
    OP

Croatia
    So shush your noise.

[​IMG]

12. Wintrale

United Kingdom
    As I said, it's there to ease casual gamers into core games. Show them how we complete levels, so that they can then learn how to play games like we do. Any core gamer that uses this Demo Play should be ashamed of themselves. As for consulting the internet, I'd imagine it's pretty overwhelming for a 40 year old guy who hasn't touched videogames for almost 20 years to sign up to forums and embarrass himself by posting about how he's stuck and needs help. If I had the choice between asking complete strangers for help and being given an option that would provide it automatically, I'd definitely choose the latter in their shoes.

Any self-professed core gamer who uses Demo Play should be ashamed of themselves for being so weak. But then again, they'd be the type who cheats and hacks their games so it's not surprising.

13. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    this is more proof.
    Firstly, they certified Ubisoft's imagine series,
    then, they started Touch Generations
    afterwards, they released the DSi
    now, they've removed the gaming from gaming.

WHYYY???

14. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I don't see what's the problem here.. it's a great idea to me. I stopped playing many games cause I got stuck and lost my patience.

Anyway, it's just an extra feature, no one is forcing you to use it.. this is complaining about a perfectly good Sunday because it has a cherry on top. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, JUST DON'T EAT THE DAMN CHERRY!

15. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    To be honest, I don't mind it at all....It's like cheats in games....Some people use it some don't, I never cheat, because it ruins the game for me, so would this, so I'm not going to use it, however, I don't mind having the option if there really is a situation that might require it..

I literally don't have any feelings toward it, it surely won't ruin the game for me, but it won't make it better either..

16. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Meh, I don't really care.

17. Wintrale

United Kingdom
    You really need to read the patent, rather than reading what The Examiner says about the mechanic and using that as your main source.

The first mode, Game, doesn't let you play at all. The game plays itself, showing you how to do things. Digest shows you how to do a specific section, lets you try it yourself and doesn't let you save if you succeed. Scene merely skips to select scenes from the first Mode, so you can target specific areas of difficulty.

18. p1ngpong
    OP

Croatia
    Doesn't the fact that Narin will be rendered redundant make you sad Toni?

Because it makes me sad.

Very sad indeed.

[​IMG]

19. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    Well it could be cheating if the game had sotryline (as all of us know that Miyamoto doesn't focus on the story on Mario games but on gameplay).... People mainly cheat in a game either to continiue the storyline or to have some fun...

20. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Game: Can't play, its like a movie

Digest: Whats the point, might as well just use Game

Scene: Sounds better, but I'm sure their "specific areas of difficulty" wouldn't be anything worth trying, so might as well use Game.

I might as well go find a youtube walkthrough video or something if this becomes extensive use, since they would probably make some really hard areas to justify this function to fans.