Nintendo has reportedly gone after the Super Mario 64 PC port, making copyright claims over it

Mario-64-PC-1024x508.jpg

As many expected, Nintendo is likely going after the recently released fanmade Super Mario 64 PC port. After gaining notoriety and popularity throughout the internet, certain YouTube videos and Reddit posts featuring gameplay recordings of the port have been copyright claimed. It appears that Wildwood Law Group LLC, a group that has previously assisted Nintendo in these matters, is responsible for going after the uploads of the game. Not only that, but TorrentFreak is also reporting that they got ahold of a complaint that Nintendo filed with Google, in regards to a Google Drive download link of the game, with the statement, "The copyrighted work is Nintendo's Super Mario 64 video game, including the audio-visual work, software, and fictional character depictions covered by U.S. Copyright Reg No. PA[REDACED]." Links containing a download to an .XCI Nintendo Switch port of the game also appear to have begun making the rounds as well. Seeing that the group behind the Super Mario 64 PC port uploaded the complete game online all at once, many users have probably already backed it up to a variety of sources.

:arrow: Source

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I'd like to see *you* come up with one for yours! You can't claim some random bullshit is true with no evidence and then when it's pointed out that you're wrong, claim that theres no evidence disproving your bullshit!
I think you confused me with someone else. Because I didn't make any claim. I just agreed with someone in one post and then asked If you were willing to show me your source in another.

No need to be so hostile, lol. But anyway if you want to do any research I recommend starting with Rupa
a Marya v. Warner/Chappell Music Inc.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, no way I'm a try this now. Wanted to try using a modern controller instead of that crazy N64 one. :blink:

People just don't learn that Nintendo is relentless. Just like that Pokemon MMO, or that metroid 2 fan game. :ninja:

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, no way I'm a try this now. Wanted to try using a modern controller instead of that crazy N64 one. :blink:

People just don't learn that Nintendo is relentless. Just like that Pokemon MMO, or that metroid 2 fan game. :ninja:
or like how they nuked Brawlbrstms3's channel... Or the nintendo content creators program... or like how they're getting sued over joycon joysticks and they still haven't done anything to fix the problem...

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really matter if it's in the wild... It's crap like this that will make it impossible for communities to form and for mods and content to be developed for it and I think that's what they want to avoid, seeing as it already bothers them when people play ROM hacks.

No one is going to invest their time in something that's going to be erased from existence... What a shame!

Last edited by Dax_Fame,
Reactions: arjunpatel

arjunpatel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really matter if it's in the wild... It's crap like this that will make it impossible for communities to form and for mods and content to be developed for it and I think that's what they want to avoid, seeing as it already bothers them when people play ROM hacks.

No one is going to invest their time in something that's going to be erased from existence... What a shame!

if they put it up on the web its never going to be erased

Reactions: Dax_Fame

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean that's what they get for not putting virtual console on switch again... if you wont let us play your games we'll do it some other way- a way much less desirable to you
Yes, because it's owed to you. What's with this entitled little shit mentality everyone here has? Why are they the bad guys for protecting their property? I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to do whatever you want with the things you pay for. You could use this logic to say that it's within your right to bludgeon someone with a hammer because you paid for it and that's how you want to use it.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo fixed my joycons for free. I don't know if you consider that "haven't done anything to fix the problem" but I doubt future joycon productions will have the problem anymore. :ninja:
fixing something that's broken that will obviously break in the future isn't "fixing" the problem it's delaying the inevitable
nintendo should redo their analog stick mechanisms.

Reactions: chartube12

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Time for the GBAtemp quick intellectual property legal educational brief as it likely applies here to this. Short version. Keep sharing the tapes, figure out how to make diffs and compile things.

There are various types of intellectual property, however the big three are
1) Patents (not really going to apply here as it is mostly for actual real world inventions, though the US and Japan do something most of the rest of the world considers unthinkable and patent software). Patents are the thing that is around 20 years, though some fields are shorter (medicine usually) and there are odd things like submarine patents if you want to go there. is long but provides a nice overview of patents in the US which is good enough for most of the world. Same conference and author has one of software patents as well if you do still find yourself curious.

2) Copyright (this is the work itself, this being a means of creative expression fixed in a tangible medium). Chances are pretty good nobody here today will live to see Mario 64 out of copyright.

Video on copyright lengths (nothing varies between types of content here, any variation in this sort of thing is usually part of patents. If something is within the better part of a century or more still the only reason for it to be out of copyright is either failure to register (tricky) or someone dedicated it to the public domain (maybe also CC0 which is functionally the same thing https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/ ).

3) Trademarks. Names usually for goods and services you apply to an office to get registered to you for certain fields for the most part, designed so someone else can't make a product of the same name and confuse your consumers. Trademarks are the things you are usually seen to have to actively defend from widespread abuse (and given this has been plastered all over the gaming press and press at large you are unlikely to be able to claim ignorance when it actually matters). https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/...-require-companies-tirelessly-censor-internet . Note this is trademarks, copyright is different and mistaking the two is much akin to sega playstation in terms of degree of screw up. Trademarks are essentially infinite if the current owner pays a trivial sum every 20 or so years (varies by location).

----

Copyright itself usually uses phrases like substantial similarity. For code there are exceptions as there are limited ways to do things, however as this was a direct decompilation of the original work it falls into a category called derived works and is nowhere near coincidence. This would probably still apply even if they stripped all the levels, sound and whatever else out of the code (something like it there, as are some graphics) and got you to feed something a copy of the ROM somewhere along the line as the code itself (in one form or another) would still exist.
The closest I have for anything like a defence is interoperability of software (one of the big things that allows emulators to exist) might well be able to apply here, however that is a defence you would likely have to make in court and I would never put any money on it being dismissed as a summary judgement here like you might for some fair use type setups.

Copyright does not have quite as strong a duty to defend, however there is something of one. Nintendo actually had a fairly notable case in it for Donkey Kong way back when (their main lawyer had the surname Kirby, it is not a coincidence). https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/615/838/1515073/
That said for copyright purposes they reasonably could ignore it (though trademarks would still be in play). However they are well within their rights and what we typically see in business, especially Nintendo's business model (I assume we have all seen the "our way is the only way to play the good stuff, have some nostalgia on our terms" model over the last 20+ years), to actually go after this.

Re: it is a 20 year old game. Except they released it again on the DS and later on virtual consoles. Not that such things matter as again most here will never live to see it end for even the first Mario 64 release version, barring radical life extension or even more radical reworking of copyright laws.
Continuing with the videos thing if this sort of thing interests you I highly recommend

and the two lawyers featured in that video for general copyright assessments.

On the other hand, taking down YT videos is pretty assholistic of them, because the videos do not infringe on their rights.
Heck, DMCA gives companies too much power over what they can do with anything that has any of their IPs mentioned in it. It's basically the same story as with Ninty taking down hacking related vids, which in no way infringe on their IP in any imaginable way...or how Apple files copyright claims on Hackintosh videos (yes, sure, the people who are making the video are breaking the EULA, but that still does not infringe on any copyright).
The video thing I would probably go with trademark for. If someone sees Mario 64 PC version then they might assume it is a legit product and cause confusion in the marketplace, or even obtain said product and call their support or something. Basically the exact thing trademarks are supposed to prevent and sort of thing you see in almost every court case here that is not fair dealing related or destruction related.

If you go reading the likes of the video usage agreements from Nintendo, Microsoft and the like you will tend to find phrasing like you can't run hacked versions of the game, or sometimes even name your video as the name of the game for similar reasons.

As for hacking videos. That does get into more tricky areas as there are justifiable reasons to hack things (or indeed be free to do so), however there are provisions within the DMCA to prevent some things here.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, if I cared about the Joycons, I'd be upset too. Been using the Pro Controller exclusively, and never looked back. Joycons are utter trash.
I'm upset myself since i'm a lite user
So those little shits are attached to my console
Thank god for the fact they're not soldered onto the board- otherwise once those things started drifting i'd be dead.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't aggressively defend your copyright, it can be held as evidence in court as to why you don't deserve it any more.
Tell that to the doom community. Id literally released the source code for anyone to use and Bethesda still sells the classic games. Just because you are loose about who uses your copyright doesn't mean you no longer own it.

Last edited by Deleted member 512337,
Reactions: chartube12

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Tell that to the doom community. Id literally released the source code for anyone to use and Bethesda still sells the classic games. Just because you are loose about who uses your copyright doesn't mean you no longer own it.
This is getting into licensing territory, which is a different ballgame compared to just copyright holdings. The source code for a lot of software is open, but developers charge for compiled binaries and technical support. The IRC client Xchat comes to mind. It's open source, and free for UNIX systems, but the dev hates Windows, so he charges a fee for the Windows builds. Synergy is another example that does the same thing.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: mightymuffy

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm upset myself since i'm a lite user
So those little shits are attached to my console
Thank god for the fact they're not soldered onto the board- otherwise once those things started drifting i'd be dead.

That's one thing and I get that, one more reason I'll never get a Lite. Sure, it's nice and comfy, but the joycons are utter crap

Nintendo: QA testing? What''s that?

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I agree with the morals behind this thought you're still downloading something you don't own and that's piracy.
If it's something that is unobtainable otherwise it's still piracy, but honestly I don't think that matters morally
For instance the PC horror game Devotion is no longer obtainable legally so I wouldn't lose blink of sleep over pirating that.

Reactions: banjo2

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one thing and I get that, one more reason I'll never get a Lite. Sure, it's nice and comfy, but the joycons are utter crap

Nintendo: QA testing? What''s that?
I actually wished i could've gotten a normal switch- but with scalpers driving the prices sky high and nintendo not even bothering to restock i just decided to settle for a lite. My fault for not being patient enough i guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox