Nintendo has reportedly gone after the Super Mario 64 PC port, making copyright claims over it

Mario-64-PC-1024x508.jpg

As many expected, Nintendo is likely going after the recently released fanmade Super Mario 64 PC port. After gaining notoriety and popularity throughout the internet, certain YouTube videos and Reddit posts featuring gameplay recordings of the port have been copyright claimed. It appears that Wildwood Law Group LLC, a group that has previously assisted Nintendo in these matters, is responsible for going after the uploads of the game. Not only that, but TorrentFreak is also reporting that they got ahold of a complaint that Nintendo filed with Google, in regards to a Google Drive download link of the game, with the statement, "The copyrighted work is Nintendo's Super Mario 64 video game, including the audio-visual work, software, and fictional character depictions covered by U.S. Copyright Reg No. PA[REDACED]." Links containing a download to an .XCI Nintendo Switch port of the game also appear to have begun making the rounds as well. Seeing that the group behind the Super Mario 64 PC port uploaded the complete game online all at once, many users have probably already backed it up to a variety of sources.

:arrow: Source

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not like it really matters at this point. Once a finished project is out there, it'll always be there.

Just a shame some of the incomplete fan projects announced their work too early and never saw a finished release.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes because a project that has the potential to make a super mario 64 remake with new levels, graphics, and all the content from the ds version alongside the buttery smooth n64 movement should totally be removed.
never change nintendo... or should i say nintendmca

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Strange... Copyright is like for 20 years?

Who told you that?

Yes because a project that has the potential to make a super mario 64 remake with new levels, graphics, and all the content from the ds version alongside the buttery smooth n64 movement should totally be removed.
never change nintendo... or should i say nintendmca

What do you expect? That they'll just bend over so you can insert yourself into them?

Reactions: crea and Ericzander

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup yup it's too late Nintendo.
The game is in the wild and so easy to find that it won't do anything.
I mean that's what they get for not putting virtual console on switch again... if you wont let us play your games we'll do it some other way- a way much less desirable to you

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Last edited by Olmectron,

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I understand going after uploads of the compiled .exe, that's fair. But they can't do anything about the source-code right?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If I'm not mistaken, the port is completely legal if they don't include any assets but require you to provide them yourself, and don't use any Nintendo trademarks. That's how other open source game engines throughout the years have been released. Without any Nintendo names or assets, it's just a generic 3D platformer engine. Although it does look like the download that was released contains all the assets and such.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand going after uploads of the compiled .exe, that's fair. But they can't do anything about the source-code right?
I think they can tho- seeing how this is a 1:1 port of the n64 game all that code is theirs
so yeah unfortunately they can get rid of that too

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think they can tho- seeing how this is a 1:1 port of the n64 game all that code is theirs
so yeah unfortunately they can get rid of that too

That's not how it works from my understanding though, the code on Github is not theirs at all, it's a different source code.

What basically happened is this:

Nintendo's Code:

12 + 12 = 24 (Super Mario 64)

Github Code:

10 x 2 + 2 + 2 = 24 (Super Mario 64)

The compiled end result is the same but the code isn't that's why Nintendo can't do anything about it, that's how I understand it anyway.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't aggressively defend your copyright/trademark/etc, it can be held as evidence in court as to why you don't deserve it any more. Seriously, if you become too popular and don't defend it, then you could potentially lose it. It is a broken system, but whatcha gonna do.

That being said, it sucks. Especially fan projects that never get finished. All those chrono trigger fan projects that never finished because they announced wayyy too early. Sadness. But glad this one was done at least. And the switch one.

Last edited by osaka35,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And the fuckers have the fallacy to call themselves a "family-friendly" company.
They're nothing but greedy pieces of shit.

Well, that would require that being family-friendly and being hard on copyright infringement couldn't be applying at the same time. However, I'm very positive the minority of hacks, ports and related things could be called "family efforts".

Not that I like Nintendos practices, but your reaction is nonsensical to say the least... and overly emotional for what the actual damage is. It'll lead to nothing more than the obvious C&D, while the port itself will roam the realms of the Internet until the end of time.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In all fairness, if Sega was even remotely as big as Nintendo is right now, they would probably adopt the same mentality too - Nintendo is overly protective of their franchises exactly because of massive amount of responsibiltiy in front of numerous shareholders, while Sega has much less at stake, hence more room to screw around with their IPs as a result.

Last edited by Pipistrele,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over