Gaming Nintendo has explained why Splatoon has no voice chat.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So you'd like this team-based game to have voice chat? Not happening. Not happening at all.

"This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people tell me, 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming."

And now for comparison's sake you'll see why Nintendo's protected as its fans think alike:

Sheimi said:
Good, then I don't have to hear some stupid 12 year old swear.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/splatoon...ame-seems-that-way.383970/page-2#post-5426052

Imdurc said:
I've always thought a game like this doesn't need voice chat. A pleasant addition after having been targeted by someone during a game of Battlefield the other night.

I've rarely heard voice chat being used in a meaningful way online. Though, I do use Mumble with friends. Voice chat in games is overrated imo.
http://ww.hotukdeals.com/deals/splatoon-wii-u-25-00-gameseek-2166039?p=24648868

Pikman said:
I can't stand voice chat, personally glad they don't. Maybe I'm the exception to the rule.
I can see how this might need it though for sure.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/splatoon-wii-u-25-00-gameseek-2166039?p=24656044

Slacey1070 said:
this. why would I want to have some 12 year old hurling abuse at me. voice chat, outside of friends, has rarely worked.

join a game and mute.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/splatoon-wii-u-25-00-gameseek-2166039?p=24658836
Now you see why Nintendo and voice chat won't happen.

Voice chat could have been made completely optional but instead they're not including it one way or the other.[/quote]

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
makes sense to me. It's supposed to be family friendly and unfortunately there are a number of jackasses out there who would ruin such a family friendly experience.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose the alternative is to make a game that actually works when you have weaker players, or have the weaker players not be a hindrance. Such things take effort though.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
i've never liked voice chat i don't want to talk because one it takes too much effort and two i like to laugh manically to myself and no one else can hear me :creep:

I like when people hear my creepy laughts :creep:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can we stop pretending that this game doesn't have voice chat to protect minors and just admit that the infrastructure of NN is poor? It's clearly not a game that attracts "progaemerz" who curse online, those people are busy playing proper shooters. Nintendo is just out of touch if they intentionally cripple their games and this is coming from someone who practically never uses voice chat. I can already see how non-existant the team dynamics will be in this game if there's no form of communication between the players.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
...It's clearly not a game that attracts "progaemerz" who curse online, those people are busy playing proper shooters...
On that note though...

...if DeviantArt and the Splatoon's Fan service in general have taught me something, then that would be that there's a lot of weird people focusing on this franchise... believe me.

So I can imagine the things that could happen on this in game chats ...some scary old guys talking things to random young players that could make stuff like "Haaa! Feel my heavy paint load!" sound like it's Rated for Everyone content...

That makes me ~kinda understand Nintendo's point :P

still doesn't justify not having voice chat only for added friends though...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh...it's a budget title. If this is the sort of corners they're going to cut, then by all means, do it.

Nintendo is at least 10 years behind as far as online play goes. This doesn't really surprise me.

So...You're saying people actually use ingame voice chat to do something aside smack talk?

Reactions: Nightwish

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-