Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Now he will go down in history as the guy that was dumb enuff to get popped by nintendo. I still cant believethat someone would do something so idiotic. When he gets to prison for nonpayment, he will meet the real kongsnutz... in his mouth

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Timmy5000 said:
frown.gif
NSMBW was fun, but not 1.5million fun... not even $50 fun,
I still feel that Nintendo should go after the main pirates, and not the one person who uploaded one game, when more badass pirates are even uploading the most obscure games for the wii. Sure its an example, but its a piss poor one to go after the guy that has a 1:1 ratio (1 person, 1 upload), when teams are releasing multiple games a day, but we all know if he didn't upload it, someone else would.

As for Kongznuts, he shouldn't get off easy, but I seriously don't think that 1.5million should be the fine (maybe a bit higher then $500,000)

The difference between Kongz and all the scene groups that release multiple games is, the scene groups know how to STFU and cover their asses. Kongz openly advertised that he had upped the game, and didn't cover his ass (you could whois his website to find his real name, home address and phone number, when there is cheap proxy registration services for this). No pity/sympathy for the stupid. 1.6 million is a bit insane, but he does deserve some punishment.

Remember kiddies, what you type/post stuff on the internet is in the public domain, and anyone can access that info!

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He has no chance of going to prison. This was settled out of court. Most likely he will just default on the payments and kill any chance of ever having credit.

Since it was settled out of court, for all we know Nintendo isn't really fining him anything. Nintendo knows he can't pay them. It's all just a scare tactic. They get a scary headline posted worldwide stating that they caught a pirate to try and put the fear in the rest of them.

Moral of the story....don't upload copyrighted shit onto the internet.

Timmy5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Timmy5000 said:
frown.gif
NSMBW was fun, but not 1.5million fun... not even $50 fun,
I still feel that Nintendo should go after the main pirates, and not the one person who uploaded one game, when more badass pirates are even uploading the most obscure games for the wii. Sure its an example, but its a piss poor one to go after the guy that has a 1:1 ratio (1 person, 1 upload), when teams are releasing multiple games a day, but we all know if he didn't upload it, someone else would.

As for Kongznuts, he shouldn't get off easy, but I seriously don't think that 1.5million should be the fine (maybe a bit higher then $500,000)

The difference between Kongz and all the scene groups that release multiple games is, the scene groups know how to STFU and cover their asses. Kongz openly advertised that he had upped the game, and didn't cover his ass (you could whois his website to find his real name, home address and phone number, when there is cheap proxy registration services for this). No pity/sympathy for the stupid. 1.6 million is a bit insane, but he does deserve some punishment.

Remember kiddies, what you type/post stuff on the internet is in the public domain, and anyone can access that info!

true, but this "sophisticated technological forensics" you think they might find the real pirates and not someone trying to gain internet glory, and I don't feel too bad for him, just think that Nintendo making an example out of him is retarded, because its not going to stop the givers and takers of Nintendo games, Just fine him a reasonable amount, and move on.

BBking83

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly, I didn't think this thread would grow this much...

MaGosT said:
FenrirWolf said:
Comments like what? He was expressing his surprise at the situation.

"Anything to say, Kongz? I'd like to hear from you."
Sounds rather cocky and "haha u got pwnd, please post here so we can flame u to death" to me. Maybe thats just my view, but i still find it very inappropriate to post stuff like that no matter what the meaning in that sentence was.
Oooohhhhh kayy then.

So, when was the last time you saw him post? I'm not surprised he hasn't been here for a while. I'm still waiting for his facebook friend confirmation. How would you be if you were him? Not that I expected him to post here but I just wanted to hear if he anything to say. Not at all waving my finger at him at all.

The ironic thing about it is that people were saying "it's a bad dump" or "it's a fake" because it wouldn't work (depending). So he proved it.

The news papers said he "bragged" about it, but I don't think he did at all.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
dodol said:
$50 * many thousands = $1.5m ?
or many thousands = hundred thousands now ?
wacko.gif

Go to google and type in "1,500,000/50". The number is actually quite low when you take into account how many times NSMB was actually downloaded. Still outrageous tho.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daco said:
some1 try and convince me why this is so called outrages.
First of all, this is a person, not a company or corporation. $1.5M is a stupid number that no normal joe will EVER be able to pay. So it's just... STUPID.

Second... they were quoted as saying that the game was downloaded "thousands" of times. If the game was downloaded 10,000 times (which it probably wasn't) @ $60 that would be $600,000. Add the $100,000 courts cost and it brings things to $700,000. So they awarded Nintendo MORE THAN DOUBLE thier claimed damages? Bullshit.

Third... $700,000 while still very unlikely to get paid off in full (without much help from others) would at least be possible in his lifetime.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Donating would send the wrong message about gbatemp. I feel really bad for him, but if he was dumb enough to make a mistake like that he's the only one to blame. If we donate to him we're paying for his mistake, however noble his intentions were. It will also make it look like gbatemp users support the fact that he dumped a game for us. If there is a donation thing for him I won't take part in it.
I totally agree, because GBAtemp users don't support the dumping of games at all.

/sarcasm

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
Donating would send the wrong message about gbatemp. I feel really bad for him, but if he was dumb enough to make a mistake like that he's the only one to blame. If we donate to him we're paying for his mistake, however noble his intentions were. It will also make it look like gbatemp users support the fact that he dumped a game for us. If there is a donation thing for him I won't take part in it.
I totally agree, because GBAtemp users don't support the dumping of games at all.

/sarcasm
For some reason I am addicted to high lighting random shit and I saw that just out of luck.
Just thought that I would add that.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
urherenow said:
Daco said:
some1 try and convince me why this is so called outrages.
First of all, this is a person, not a company or corporation. $1.5M is a stupid number that no normal joe will EVER be able to pay. So it's just... STUPID.

Second... they were quoted as saying that the game was downloaded "thousands" of times. If the game was downloaded 10,000 times (which it probably wasn't) @ $60 that would be $600,000. Add the $100,000 courts cost and it brings things to $700,000. So they awarded Nintendo MORE THAN DOUBLE thier claimed damages? Bullshit.

Third... $700,000 while still very unlikely to get paid off in full (without much help from others) would at least be possible in his lifetime.

If he had to pay nintendo's legal costs, then $100,000 is cheap. Lawyers charge you for any time they think about your case.
As it was a wilful act, then the court may have awarded punitive damages. Which means Nintendo get to make more money out of him than they would if they had sold the game to everyone that downloaded it.

I've not read the court papers, but it's not the court of Nintendo. The justice system in Australia did this.

It's a bit harsh for him, but use it as a lesson to not get excited everytime you incriminate yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-