• Start date
  • Views 10,234
  • Replies 91
  • Likes 7
D

Deleted_171835

OP
a5IiWzp.png

Though Nintendo were not at E3 in the same capacity as Microsoft, E.A., Ubisoft and Sony they did have a Nintendo direct released during it which served to highlight their plans for the future.
You can watch it on youtube below embedded below and individual games are linked after the jump.

[prebreak]Rest of the article[/prebreak]
Games:

There were quite a few games showcased here so I'll focus on the standout ones.

Monolith's Soft 'X':

Because screw every other game, this is the only that matters here (well maybe Smash Bros too). There are fucking mechs. In an open world. With multiplayer. Awesome.

quickone6wjzi.gif

Super Smash Bros 3DS + U:

Coming 2014.

Mario Kart 8:

To the surprise of no one, Nintendo has unveiled a new Mario Kart. Aside from the leap into HD, there are several other changes in Mario Kart 8. One notable feature are anti-gravity sections in which racers can drive on both walls and ceilings. Hangliders and underwater racing from the 3DS outing and motorbikes from the Wii Mario Kart are also returning in this version. Coming out 2014.

Super Mario 3D World:

The next 3D Mario was revealed and is a notably lower-tiered affair than the usual entry. The gameplay is reminiscent of the levels found in the 3DS outing, Super Mario 3D Land with a number of changes. There's a "cat suit" in which Mario can claw and climb throughout levels as well as the addition of 4-player multiplayer (Mario, Peach, Toad, Luigi). December 2013 release.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze:

To the lamenting of gamers everywhere, Retro's next game was not Metroid but simply another Donkey Kong entry (don't worry, Metroid is still coming...someday). That said, this looks quite similar to 2010's Donkey Kong Country Returns and if that was any indication, this should be a very solid title.

Bayonetta 2:

It's Bayonetta. On the Wii U. With a new haircut. And stuff.

Other Games:
Wind Waker HD : 1080p native visuals, sped up sailing, reworked Tingle Tuner with Miiverse
The Wonderful 101: Looks to be another stellar game from Platinum Games.
Deus Ex: HR: "I didn't ask for this". Actually that probably isn't appropriate here with improved boss battles, visuals and added content.
Splinter Cell: Blacklist: People still care about Splinter Cell?
Rayman Legends: Coming exclusively to the Wii U! ...Oh wait.​
Art Academy Wii U:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

and more at the link.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm excited for Smash Bros., but I'm not excited for an ambiguous 2014 release date. I was hoping they were far enough along in development to give us something at least a little more exact. Oh well. Still plenty of games, though, very little relevant to my 3DS.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The power hour wasn't hardly even about Nintendo...they kept going off topic.

I could see the fear in Reggie's eyes. Seem to me, Reggie looked like he could tell game trailers questions and statements were correct. He was avoiding the subject of 3rd party games as much has he could. Maybe people do buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games, but it would be nice to get decent 3rd party support so we don't have to buy a second console.

Crazy & non-seriousness theory warning: Maybe Nintendo has started receiving cuts of profit from the other guys. A payoff to push 3rd parties away, so gamers have to buy another console if they want those games. Their rivals then make a little more profit and pass some of that back to Nintendo.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh god, really watching that Smash Bros. trailer, the 3DS version still clearly has a depressingly long way to go. It's bad enough that they had to opt for more cartoony characters with hard black outlines on the 3DS (damn it, Nintendo, you know the 3DS can do more than that), but those frame rates were all fairly choppy until the transition to the Wii U version. If they don't take the time to polish the 3DS version of the game, well, I can easily say that right now, that is far from a day one purchase for me. If Smash Bros 3DS just ends up being crippled Smash Bros U, well, there went my sale.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Oh god, really watching that Smash Bros. trailer, the 3DS version still clearly has a depressingly long way to go. It's bad enough that they had to opt for more cartoony characters with hard black outlines on the 3DS (damn it, Nintendo, you know the 3DS can do more than that), but those frame rates were all fairly choppy until the transition to the Wii U version. If they don't take the time to polish the 3DS version of the game, well, I can easily say that right now, that is far from a day one purchase for me. If Smash Bros 3DS just ends up being crippled Smash Bros U, well, there went my sale.

Here's why

Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm most excited for Zelda Wind Waker HD. Sure it's a remake, but not everyone (ahem, me) had a gamecube, so I'm thrilled to finally get to play it. Of course, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros look like awesome as well. Everything else, eh. Good titles, but Nintendo needs a serious pick up in third party games, like people have already mentioned.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh hey, new trailer for Zelda 3DS actually shows us lots of good 'ol platforming in that one minute. Not a very long trailer, and it would have been nice if they had included the release date at the end seeing as the game only has about a three month window of likely release anyways, but it showed us what we expected. Nothing to get very excited over either, but maybe a worthwhile purchase down the line for those more invested in the bigger 3D Zelda games.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Here's why

-snip-
On the positive, the small amount of 3DS footage shown looked more complete in that video. Maybe the magic of video editing just didn't help the 3DS version in the official trailer. Though, I notice that the train stage still was a bit choppy for what they showed of it. Maybe smoothing out that frame rate isn't top priority right now. Relating to the small amount, I suppose it is easier to demo in the larger and prettier Wii U version, though, I still want to see a lot more of the 3DS version. The black outlines are more understandable now as well, as colors could potentially blend a bit in stages that match the coloring of your character which would be confusing on a smaller stage. Hell, even on a smaller TV playing the likes of Melee in the past, I would sometimes lose track of my characters in certain stages.

With that said, we still have very little in terms of 3DS screenshots, and that's disappointing. I understand it's more appealing to show off the Wii U counterparts, but I would have loved to have seen more of the 3DS specific stages, or more of the combat on the 3DS. Hell, just even how more characters will look on the 3DS. Checking out the Smash site, there are loads of Wii U shots, but considering Sakurai mentioned playing Smash Bros so much at lunch, and I assume this would mean he's playing the 3DS version, I would hope there should be quite a bit available reflecting its existence.

I get it. Gotta sell the Wii U. Don't neglect the 3DS version either though. This is a pretty important step, giving us our first, official, handheld Smash Bros experience.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm calling hoax. I mean, seriously, I'm supposed to believe that Capcom still remembers Mega Man? Ha ha, sure thing, buddy.

Overall, kind of underwhelming. For a conference that needed some amazing surprises... there really weren't any. A lot of the stuff present were pretty much expected (A Mario Kart game on a Nintendo system? What a twist!), and the unexpected stuff was just... neat. Some of the games were disappointing (the 3D Mario especially), some games were pretty cool, but there was nothing "Oh fuck yeah!" worthy.

It wasn't a bad conference, of course, but it wasn't a great one either - and the Wii U needed a great conference.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Again no Metroid announcement... :wtf:

Retro's project was Donkey Kong.

Anyways, I swear I remember hearing a while back that there were going to be a bunch of Nintendo Directs. Hopefully they have a few more surprises.

The problem I feel with this direct is, Nintendo had all the time in the world for one, but yet this felt like it was rushed. There wasn't enough talk about the games, it was more like "here's a trailer, here's a trailer, here's a trailer, here's a trailer, Bye!"

I mean they should have showed trailers then showed interviews with the devs as to why they're doing it, like Mario 3D World. Which brings me to my next point, while the game looks fantastic and will no doubt be fun, was I the only one expecting a brand new main 3D mario like Galaxy?

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SMASH BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSS

MEGAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Now Capcom just needs to get their shit together and start rolling out some good Megaman games, and I'll be a happy camper for the rest of the year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1