Nintendo DSi games with RetroArch (melonDS core)

Hi guys,
it seems like that setting up DSi games is quite difficult. According to the Emulation Wiki the only suitable emulators are melonDS and No$GBA. I use LaunchBox and would like to add DSi games which i can run with RetroArch and the melonDS core. These are the things that i have tried so far with the DSi game Zenonia (Windows 10 OS):
  • Download the newest release of melonDS and the Bios package
  • Config --> Emu settings --> General --> Console type: DSi (experimental), unchecked Boot game directly
  • Config --> Emu settings --> DS-mode
    • DS ARM9 BIOS: --> bios9.bin
    • DS ARM7 BIOS: --> bios7.bin
    • DS firmware: --> firmware.bin
  • Config --> Emu settings --> DSi-mode
    • DSi ARM9 BIOS: --> bios9.bin
    • DSi ARM7 BIOS: --> bios7.bin
    • DSi firmware: --> firmware.bin
    • DSi NAND: --> nand.bin
  • Checked Enable DSi SD card --> SD card image: --> nandbak.bin
I have tried the following two versions of Zenonia from the Reddit Roms Megathread:
  • Myrient (No-Intro) Nintendo - Nintendo DSi (Digital) --> Filename: 00000005
  • MarioCube - DSiWare --> Filename: Zenonia (Europe, Australia) (En).nds
With both games i get a error message while choosing the game in the DSi menu melonDS:
An error has occured. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please see the Nintendo DSi Operations Manual for help troubleshooting.
Have i missed a step during configuration or do the DSi roms from the Megathread need additional preparation or format before they can be used with melonDS? If yes, which additional tools are necessary and is it possible to set this up in RetroArch too or only with the standalone melonDs emulator? I am very thankful for any help or suggestions.

Reactions: FanNintendo

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Playing it via PPSSPP is a deal-breaker to you? It seems you've exhausted dai Retroarch core as an option.

Turaltay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Playing it via PPSSPP is a deal-breaker to you? It seems you've exhausted dai Retroarch core as an option.
All my games run via Launchbox and RetroArch. The only thing that i can't get running are DSi games. That's why i would like to know if my approach is wrong or if and how the DSi games from the Reddit Megathread need to be prepared before they work. I am open-minded for other solutions that work with RetroArch and Launchbox.

V800

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
All my games run via Launchbox and RetroArch. The only thing that i can't get running are DSi games. That's why i would like to know if my approach is wrong or if and how the DSi games from the Reddit Megathread need to be prepared before they work. I am open-minded for other solutions that work with RetroArch and Launchbox.
I think your approach is correct. As you've said, you've got running many other dsi games with your setup. That's why I suggested a different emu for that game in specific. However, other users may be more knowledgeable about RetroArch and Launchbox...

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,
it seems like that setting up DSi games is quite difficult. According to the Emulation Wiki the only suitable emulators are melonDS and No$GBA. I use LaunchBox and would like to add DSi games which i can run with RetroArch and the melonDS core. These are the things that i have tried so far with the DSi game Zenonia (Windows 10 OS):
  • Download the newest release of melonDS and the Bios package
  • Config --> Emu settings --> General --> Console type: DSi (experimental), unchecked Boot game directly
  • Config --> Emu settings --> DS-mode
    • DS ARM9 BIOS: --> bios9.bin
    • DS ARM7 BIOS: --> bios7.bin
    • DS firmware: --> firmware.bin
  • Config --> Emu settings --> DSi-mode
    • DSi ARM9 BIOS: --> bios9.bin
    • DSi ARM7 BIOS: --> bios7.bin
    • DSi firmware: --> firmware.bin
    • DSi NAND: --> nand.bin
  • Checked Enable DSi SD card --> SD card image: --> nandbak.bin
I have tried the following two versions of Zenonia from the Reddit Roms Megathread:
  • Myrient (No-Intro) Nintendo - Nintendo DSi (Digital) --> Filename: 00000005
  • MarioCube - DSiWare --> Filename: Zenonia (Europe, Australia) (En).nds
With both games i get a error message while choosing the game in the DSi menu melonDS:

Have i missed a step during configuration or do the DSi roms from the Megathread need additional preparation or format before they can be used with melonDS? If yes, which additional tools are necessary and is it possible to set this up in RetroArch too or only with the standalone melonDs emulator? I am very thankful for any help or suggestions.
you need to decrypt the dsi roms

Reactions: Turaltay

mn1712trungson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
But which tool needs to be used to decrypt dsi roms?
Because I'm too lazy to check my grammar, I use Google Translate.

- First, you need to download the correct DSi firmware and DSi bios (rename dsi_bios7.bin, dsi_bios9.bin, dsi_firmware.bin).
- You need dumb dsi_nand pre-installed Unlaunch from real DSi or difficult way is use No$GBA to install Unlauch into clean dsi_nand (yes, I done it). Rename the file to dsi_nand.bin.
*Why require Unlaunch? Because DSi had a locked-region title. EU title need EU firmware, BIOS, and NAND. Same problem with US and JAP titles.
- Use melonDS (standalone) - system\manage DSi titles to install DSi_roms .nds or .app (decrypted). If using the CIA file, it must be decrypted (this way is very complicated and requires tools).
- Copy the DSi firmware, bios and nand files to the folder "*\retroarch\system\".
- Start melonDS in retroarch by selecting any .nds rom and you will see the unlauch screen pop up.
- Select the Launcher line and select the game you have installed.

Enjoy.
P/s: If it still doesn't work, feel free to contact me. I will send you the nand file with most games preinstalled.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by mn1712trungson,
Reactions: Turaltay and V800

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat