Nintendo DS Lite Hinge Repair for Free, Thank You Nintendo!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by RchUncleSkeleton, Nov 5, 2010.

1. RchUncleSkeleton
    OP

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    My DS Lite started developing a loose hinge and flickering top screen only months after nintendo's 1 year warranty, within the last two weeks the hinge actually broke and the screen is very wobbly. Knowing it was out of warranty and knowing this is a problem several people have had I decided to take it into my own hands and write and email to both Nintendo(nintendo@noa.nintendo.com) and Nintendo of America President, Reggie Fils-Aime(Reggie@noa.nintendo.com)

2. mkoo

Member mkoo GBAtemp Fan

Turkey
    Too bad we don't get customer support like thay around here from any company.
    I've heard from someone sent hinge broken ds while its warranty was still on.
    He was told by the distributor they are not given the parts by and they cannot repair his ds

3. RchUncleSkeleton
    OP

United States
    That's is too bad! Hopefully I receive my DS fully repaired....also the man I talked to said the repaired DS would be returned to me along with a full 1 year warranty!

4. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Mine is out of warranty and they said they wouldnt fix it even if i payed.

5. chrisrlink

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    yeah i went through 3 Lites in 2 years man i hope they honor this in the USA (hinge breaking)

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Damn, I have 3 DS lites but only two of them have a broken hinge. Looks like I'm gonna have to bust out the ol' hammer on the remaining one.

7. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    I should've done that for my DS Phat. There's a big scratch on it that could've only been done if you took a knife to it, of which I know nobody could have done so because we were on vacation and had no access to knives... and I doubt one would break in and knife a DS's touch screen instead of stealing it.

[​IMG]

8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    That's one thing I like about Nintendo. When they know they're dealing with a loyal customer, they'll try their best to give you the best customer care. I can't say the same about Microsoft or Sony though.

A couple months after my 5th DS lite was out of warranty, the shoulder buttons stopped working. And I take great care of my electronics. I emailed Nintendo. They sent me instructions on what to do, and within days, had my thing back. Sure I could've expected some little nifty gifty's [+1 to whoever gets that reference], but hey, having my thing back within a couple of days. Done deal.

9. RchUncleSkeleton
    OP

United States
    Updated status: received UPS tag on friday November 12th... sent out the package on tuesday November 16th, received my repaired DS Lite today Thursday November 18th! Super fast turnaround on repairs and excellent customer service, I've got to give Nintendo 2 thumbs up for this! [​IMG]

10. Laughing Stock

Member Laughing Stock GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Huh. Thanks for the tip.

Can anyone help me break the hinge of my DS Lite without making it look like it was my fault?

11. RchUncleSkeleton
    OP

United States
    Why would you purposely break the hinge? This should only be used if the thing breaks on it's own! Besides if you break it and they decide not to fix it for you then you're S O L!

12. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Just use it normally and it will break. ZING!
    But I don't really think they can tell if it was your fault or not, unless there are clear indentations on your DS that indicate you've dropped your DS before.
    My suggestion is to take a hammer and nail, then pound the nail on the hinge until it cracks.

13. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    wth they never fix mine they say i needed to pay DAMMIT

14. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    I may have to see if nintendo will fix my lite for free since it broke a probably a year ago, but it was out of warranty so did not bother with it, but should I tell them I also bought a dsi to replace it. Also nice find TC.

15. nintendorep

Newcomer nintendorep Newbie

United States
    unfortunately i also contacted the nintendo company for help on this matter but i was refused and at last i got my nintendo ds lite hinge repaired from nintendo repair shop.