Nintendo: Devs concerned over used sales should make better games

ForteGospel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reggie Fils-Aime says consumers won't trade in great games, claims Nintendo has trade-in rate lower than much of the industry.
Developers concerned about the implications of used-game sales should make their games compelling enough so that consumers will not trade them in. That's according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, who told Polygon that Nintendo embodies this strategy and has one of the lowest trade-in percentages in the business as a result.

Nintendo is not the only major game maker to have such a philosophy on used games. Grand Theft Auto parent publisher Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick said last month that the company's stance is not to "whine" about missing out on revenue, but rather to focus on creating compelling experiences so gamers do not trade their titles in.
"Our view about used games has been, as opposed to whining or figuring out ways to punish the consumer for buying used games, we've figured out we better delight the consumer," Zelnick said at the time.

The Xbox One supports used games as a platform, though decisions about allowing secondhand titles will be left up to publishers. Sony's PlayStation 4, on the other hand, will not feature any "gating restrictions" at all for software.
Similarly, Wii U owners can freely trade in titles without any restrictions.

source

imo, there is little to no trade-in game stores here in israel so used game here is not an issue, but this is mostly a PR move to ride the train of "lets bash the xbox one" that sony is doing since the beginning of the E3

tldr
nintendo: get your shit together publishers

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Xenoblade Chronicles is a fantastic game...

Anyways, well, he is right. If publishers don't throw out the same rehashed game every few months and instead deliver good and qunique content people won't sell their games so early. And keeping the price below 65 bucks helps also...

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This forum is full of trolls. Both of the afore mentioned games are fantastic in their own right. Now whether or not you enjoyed them is another matter entirely...

Anyway, while Nintendo does have higher standards (most of the time) and create stellar titles with some consistency, I can safely say that I trade in my Nintendo titles as much as I trade in others. I don't trade games in because they're terrible. I trade them in as a way to get new ones. Used games also have a better return policy and can function like a rental service if you go through games quick enough.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's not that simple. For some people, trading in their used games is an economic necessity. Other games, no matter the quality, are just inherently more likely to be traded in - short, singleplayer titles, for example.

If you want to know why a lot of games seem to have shoehorned multiplayer modes or heavily emphasis on DLC, well, this is why.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.