Nintendo confirms new Zelda is in development

D

Deleted User

open world is great, when the open-nes of it isn't ruined by the lack of interesting stuff

who would have thought that Nintendo will start a new Zelda right after the previous one got released. it's almost like they are running a business....

Last edited by ,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious if they'll do another BOTW right away, go traditional, or hybrid it. A hybrid would probably be coolest, and reduce the time to make it since i'm sure the immense BOTW world took a very, very long time to do.
The comments about DLC are curious though. DLC works a lot better in the open world style of BOTW. I'm fine with another BOTW or a hybrid. Time to ditch the clunky older style of Zelda games in favour of the more modern style.

Also it's absolutely laughable to think BOTW has a worse story than any other Zelda game. At least BOTW tried to have a story, and delivered it in a unique and interesting way. Beats the shit out of literally every other Zelda and their threadbare cookiecutter stories with absolutely no thought or substance put into them. Zelda games are generally good with having beautiful worlds and interesting characters, but never any sort of story. BOTW still had both of those things, and attempted a story. I think they did a good job too.
Hybrid might be cool. I'm just wondering, if it's another big, main Zelda game, how are they gonna top Breath of the Wild? Excited to find out.

Also, glad you agree on the story, Hells. No Zelda game ever had a good story imo. Some really interesting, unique lore, cool characters, and very intriguing worlds (love the environment in Majora's Mask!), but never a good story. Again, Nintendo packs in all the gameplay they want first, and then builds whatever story they can around that. None of their games are ever designed with story in mind. It's all about lore with Nintendo -- the mechanics and workings of the Mushroom Kingdom, the world of squids in Splatoon, Olimar and the Pikmins' odd reality, etc. The Zelda series is no different. While Zelda games had a very set rhythm for delivering that lore (and whatever story was strung between it) for the longest time, Breath of the Wild is, of course, very different, and I don't think it has any less lore than its predecessors. So much of BotW's lore is in its environments, and the rest is in the towns and cities where the remnants of civilization still live on. The picture painted by the environment and its inhabitants created a very interesting world to explore. Sounds about par for the course in a Zelda game. Maybe its open-world, very non-traditional nature just exposes the failings of the series' storytelling as a whole by breaking free of the same, recycled formula?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also it's absolutely laughable to think BOTW has a worse story than any other Zelda game. At least BOTW tried to have a story, and delivered it in a unique and interesting way. Beats the shit out of literally every other Zelda and their threadbare cookiecutter stories with absolutely no thought or substance put into them. Zelda games are generally good with having beautiful worlds and interesting characters, but never any sort of story. BOTW still had both of those things, and attempted a story. I think they did a good job too.

I reckon some of the GB and GBC handheld ones edge it out, and the earlier parts of wind waker were far better than anything BOTW did.

Story has certainly never been its strength, more is the pity as was mentioned they do have fairly decent worldbuilding and possibly a known to the intended audience quantity for a lot of it, but the world has changed and some did have the start of something.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I reckon some of the GB and GBC handheld ones edge it out, and the earlier parts of wind waker were far better than anything BOTW did.

Story has certainly never been its strength, more is the pity as was mentioned they do have fairly decent worldbuilding and possibly a known to the intended audience quantity for a lot of it, but the world has changed and some did have the start of something.
Have you realized that your writing style sometimes looks like riddles?
I was having a hard time here trying to get what you meant, and well, I guess I am not bright enough to understand your prose perhaps.

PS: just a comment, I was really having a hard time, not to be taken personal, in any case English is just not my mother tongue.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
With all the talk in the quoted article of how they dug DLC, I can't help but think they might be preparing to release the next game in some form of episodic format. That way they can release it quicker, due to one episode being smaller than a complete game, and allow customers the additional privilege of being able to pay for it multiple times.

D

Deleted User

With all the talk in the quoted article of how they dug DLC, I can't help but think they might be preparing to release the next game in some form of episodic format. That way they can release it quicker, due to one episode being smaller than a complete game, and allow customers the additional privilege of being able to pay for it multiple times.
Please, please dont do it

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this game really needed a good story to be great. The joy was all in the gameplay. And honestly, the other Zelda games are no different. Previous titles had good lore, but the story was never something worth writing home about. Nintendo's entire game design approach centers on creating really compelling gameplay first, and then building a story and world around that. I feel in Breath of the Wild, the world itself pervaded enough lore and environmental storytelling that the way story and lore was delivered in past titles would've been inappropriate. The story they did have here was minimal, and in a way, quaint. Honestly, if it were to be anything larger or more grandiose, I feel it would negatively impact Breath of the Wild's open world gameplay.
Well honestly I never play legend of zelda games for the story, but if you are gonna have one, least make it count. Tales of symphonia is a game that doesn't have a great story either but is fun to play. Is just the type of game that they are making, if they are investing time into a story based game, then make a good one. The first few games didn't have much story.
  • Zelda 1 on nes = Collect the 8 pieces of triforce, stop ganon, save zelda
  • Zelda 2 on nes = Collect 6 gem stones, save zelda
  • Zelda 3 on SNES = Collect three necklaces, defeat Aginham, go to past, collect 7 crystals from the 7 maidens, defeat ganon, save hyrule
Simple, straight forward, to the point, and the story is hardly mentioned regularly through those games. They made simple stories before and still do. Super mario has simple stories, Rescue Peach, stop Bowser. If the main focus of the game wasn't the story, then don't try too hard on it, that what they did with this game, this game has probably the most of a zelda story to date.

Nintendo has many sub development teams like Intelligent systems, Hal laboratories, Monolith soft, maybe could have least worked together to make a more entertaining story, fire emblem, paper mario games, Xenoblade, are all RPG story based games, it could have worked, just saying.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious if they'll do another BOTW right away, go traditional, or hybrid it. A hybrid would probably be coolest, and reduce the time to make it since i'm sure the immense BOTW world took a very, very long time to do.
The comments about DLC are curious though. DLC works a lot better in the open world style of BOTW. I'm fine with another BOTW or a hybrid. Time to ditch the clunky older style of Zelda games in favour of the more modern style.

i think they should. BOTW is my favorite zelda so far, but I with the successor has huge dungeons and caves and it set in non apocalyptic times

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you realized that your writing style sometimes looks like riddles?
I was having a hard time here trying to get what you meant, and well, I guess I am not bright enough to understand your prose perhaps.

PS: just a comment, I was really having a hard time, not to be taken personal, in any case English is just not my mother tongue.
I do try to work on that from time to time, however then that becomes a problem (go back about 4 years ago and it was all () all the time, more recently endless asterisks). Tangents, asides, endless extrapolations is generally how I think and for fear of being vague I usually want to include them. That in turn seems to lead to more problems.

To rephrase the earlier stuff.

Zelda. Has good worldbuilding -- I can't recall a single notable NPC in skyrim but majora's mask I can still do loads for, and with a bit of prompting could do most. Story for that one was eh though. That might have been a Rashomon effect thing though from the three days mechanic. Looking at the others they do OK too though.
The other part. A few years back it was noted every other superhero film was an origin story. It has however been decades now that people have had these things as a fairly serious component of pop culture. Zelda is in a similar position and to that end Nintendo could probably get away with starting... in literary terms it would be called in medias res.

The world has changed -- much like silent films are a novelty now and can't be the main event your open worlds can't be sparse sandboxes, which was something of a problem for BOTW even before the micro dungeons. Some of the Zelda games did however have story enough to tease you with "what it could have been". Combined this makes things quite frustrating as a would be enjoyer of games. While I did not care for skyrim npcs their game world had some great moments -- all sorts of choke points, alt paths, fairly well paced at times (how many times did you stumble into a town low on health and high on stuff carried and knew it was worth the try), and something like STALKER did even better still for this.

BOTW did better than I expected from the early trailers and footage, to the point where it was vaguely competent as opposed to small dev tries their hardest to do money pit game (a model normally seen when things went up against world of warcraft), which was what I was expecting. However masterpiece it was not.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop the presses! Nintendo comfirms paper is no longer dry when splashed with water! clear the front page! This going right there!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: