Nintendo confirms new Zelda is in development

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by WiiUBricker, Dec 20, 2017.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso

To the surprise of no one, a new Zelda is being worked on. This has been confirmed by Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma in the japanese Master Works book for Zelda Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild’s development did start after Skyward Sword was completed, so if it is the same with the new Zelda, it will likely take years before anything presentable is ready.

Via an IGN interview, Aonuma and the director of Zelda, Hidemaro Fujibayashi, discussed having new ideas and motivation for the new Zelda.

:arrow: Source

2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I hope it doesn't end up being a New Switch exclusive, or making 30FPS+ only on New Switch.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  3. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Hope it will be a Switch exclusive

Mnecraft368 and Pandaxclone2 like this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I hope is better than Breath of the wild, including a better story. :toot:

5. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Your seriously trolling

6. GunzOfNavarone

GunzOfNavarone GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    So, presumably by the time it's released it will make the most of the Switch and also be ported to the next console with framerate / resolution improvements.

I kind of wish that Nintendo could have 2 development teams working on separate games. I understand the amount of work that goes into them, but the wait is a bit of a killer. BOTW took roughly 4-5 years to develop, so we may not see another until 2021 at the earliest, by which point the Switch will be a technically archaic system (I would have thought).

TCJJ likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    When we get "new console being developed" confirmations some 2 years into a current console I find it obvious, indeed had things not started in some notable capacity with no real downtime I would have called them incompetent. Something similar applies here.

BOTW was far from flawless and a weak story was one of the bigger criticisms. I am not seeing the trolling.

8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    It will be an exclusive on their next console :P

9. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    How many years and delays before actual release?

CallmeBerto likes this.
  10. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    lets hope they move away from that lame (sorry not worth GOTY or 10/10) BOTW.

sorry fans will love shit regardless, want proof, find a TV show that you cant stand, others will also agree WTF, and i can bet you it will have a fanbase.

Take Supernatural for example, or The Walking Dead, both shows that used to be great but now STALE AS SHIT.

BOTW just felt like a running tech demo to test how well the switch can handle open world, it lacked any levels, was just basic tech demo;s on its motion controls, it has no fecking story.... WOW you wake up, run aimlessly for hours on end in the hope to find something to do, locate PHOTO locations that tell you nothing you didnt already figure out on your own.

I hope nintendo do not copy this same BS as we know they have a track record of rinse repeating the same thing.

What I would like to see in the next zelda:
    something with a story
    something with levels such as dungeons and it can have is BS mini puzzles within.
    it can keep its open world gaming, but i dont want to be having to run from one corner to the next in order to do the next level (this was a piss take in BOTW and even in WW)
    Id like to see a new enemy, not the same old GANON/ZELDA story, which is why Majoras Mask is my all time favorite
    Id like to see missions/events that are like Majoras Mask and are timed events that you set in motion to then lead to the next
    ** something that made majoras mask so great, you didnt just meet a person at 6pm to do a mission, you also had to say meet this person at 6 do a mission which then set something else in motion which you had to be there at the right time to do that mission which then could lead to another.

If it did level based, i dont want to see the same old forumla of it starting in the woods, then moves to gorons, then zoras, then collect master sword..... its been rinse repeated

suctions and Sakitoshi like this.
  11. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Four.

Based on the development time of Twilight Princess.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Maniac

May 28, 2015
    but TP was delayed intentionally for it to be a Wii launch game, then was its last CUBE game, yup nintendo was quick to abandon its console to push gamers to buy the wii.

13. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I hope it's an old school top-down view classic Zelda focused on dungeons and puzzles.
    Enough with the open world stuff.... it's awesome, but it's also time consuming and life ruining :lol:

ShroomKing and sarkwalvein like this.
  14. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    The Legend of Zelda Survive?

TheVinAnator and tunip3 like this.
  15. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I would also like an old school top-down... or even a 3D one like OOT, but more lineal and focused on dungeons, puzzle and story. "Open world" is too time consuming, I am too old for this shit™.

suctions and Nah3DS like this.
  16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No, we already have metal gear survive, we don't need to see another series ruined. :ninja:

I would like the gameboy games oracle of ages/seasons get a update, and even make the third game for the trilogy that was intended but cancelled. If the Link between worlds can be a sequel to the snes game, then they should make one for the gameboy color ones, I always felt that one was the most unique being it was the only one to do the "POKEMON 2 game choice" thing situation.

So I wasn't the only one who thought the story wasn't good. Also, I did finish the game, to completion, with the DLC season pass, and no I don't feel accomplished for the story or the ending.

ShroomKing likes this.
  17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Legend of Zelda GO! for android and ios :D

TheVinAnator and Subtle Demise like this.
  18. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Are you at the end of a dungeon but the boss is giving you a hard time, don't worry, we have heart pieces for you for a couple of rupees*.

*rupees are sold separately.

TheVinAnator, THEELEMENTKH and dAVID_ like this.
  19. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Zzzz

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think this game really needed a good story to be great. The joy was all in the gameplay. And honestly, the other Zelda games are no different. Previous titles had good lore, but the story was never something worth writing home about. Nintendo's entire game design approach centers on creating really compelling gameplay first, and then building a story and world around that. I feel in Breath of the Wild, the world itself pervaded enough lore and environmental storytelling that the way story and lore was delivered in past titles would've been inappropriate. The story they did have here was minimal, and in a way, quaint. Honestly, if it were to be anything larger or more grandiose, I feel it would negatively impact Breath of the Wild's open world gameplay.

20. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I'm curious if they'll do another BOTW right away, go traditional, or hybrid it. A hybrid would probably be coolest, and reduce the time to make it since i'm sure the immense BOTW world took a very, very long time to do.
    The comments about DLC are curious though. DLC works a lot better in the open world style of BOTW. I'm fine with another BOTW or a hybrid. Time to ditch the clunky older style of Zelda games in favour of the more modern style.

Also it's absolutely laughable to think BOTW has a worse story than any other Zelda game. At least BOTW tried to have a story, and delivered it in a unique and interesting way. Beats the shit out of literally every other Zelda and their threadbare cookiecutter stories with absolutely no thought or substance put into them. Zelda games are generally good with having beautiful worlds and interesting characters, but never any sort of story. BOTW still had both of those things, and attempted a story. I think they did a good job too.