Gaming Nintendo changed up their advertising for the Wii U with three new commercials.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 4,161
  • Replies 45
  • Likes 1

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How is that "changing up"? It's not like aiming their commercials at families is anything new to nintendo. :unsure:

Also...they refused me when I applied. The talk went something like this:

me: hi. I hear you're shooting a new commercial video. Can I be in it? I love your stuff, guys! :D
Nintendo: I like your enthusiasm. Will your wife and child be willing to be in the video as well?
me: I don't have me one of those. I can't get a date because I'm more into gaming. And I'm trying to get a child by creating some holes in the condom when I'm visiting prostitutes, but so far I'm not lucky yet.
Nintendo: I...see. Well, I congratulate you on your honesty.
me: not a problem. Say...will I get to play that new Zelda game? Not the wind waker one...the cool one? :)
Nintendo: erm...I think we're more looking into people that have a family, to be honest.
me: hey, I have a family. I'm still living in my parent's basement. I could ask them, but they can barely remember that the wiiu isn't just an extra controller, so...yeah...
Nintendo: so you still live with them...how old are you?
me: 32. But I'm just living there until I can get a job. Y'know...financial crisis and stuff. Oh, and my parents say it's because I play the nintendo the whole day. So I'm really the best one for your add. I haven't found anyone on miiverse who clocks more hours than I do!
Nintendo: sorry...but we're more looking into gaming families. Come back later, please. Or rather...not at all.
me: what? Why? I thought you guys were gonna cater to hardcore gamers now?
Nintendo: erm...that was when we didn't realise core gamers have...a certain odor to them that...kind of eau-de-sweat. Sorta.
me: phew...I'm glad I'm not one of those guys. LOL! :P

:wink:

Reactions: NahuelDS and PrimeX

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
wii-u_o_459229.jpg

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, did this just turn into on of those threads where all we do is whine about Nintendo? If so where the hell is Guild?

The best part about this, is it was just a little while ago every nintendo thread had everybody posting "Nintendo needs to just market it as a family console". So Nintendo does, and now people are still whining?

Nintendo, fucked if you do, damned if you don't.

wii shall release it with no gaems and a bad controller 2

The GamePad is literally one of the most comfortable controllers ever.

To be honest, I actually liked the commercials. If I didn't already have a WiiU, I'd be interested in and would want one. It shows what it can do and such. A little more focus on the types of games like Lego City, Monster Hunter and ZombiU would be nice, but it still works. Could be worse. Could be like the shitty and horrible PS3 commercials.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
You know, I don't think "Wii U" would be such a confusing name to consumers if Nintendo had been a little less trigger-happy with the "Wii" branding last generation. Just look at that rap sheet!

-Wii Sports
-Wii Play
-Wii Party
-Wii Fit
-Wii Balance Board
-Wii Music (:'D)
-Wii Zapper
-Wii MotionPlus
-WiiConnect24
-WiiWare
-Wii Home Espresso Maker

And that's just off the top of my head!

Heck, with such a saturation of "Wii" products floating around, is it any wonder that a lot of uninitiated folks mistake the Wii U for yet another Wii add-on? With such a prevalent misconception running amok, of course Nintendo is going to run ads like this. :P

I don't really think this has anything to do with Ninty "giving up on hardcore gamers". I think they're just trying to fix a huge, financially-precarious misconception (since it's too late to fix their silly naming decision). :P

Certainly there a lot of reasons for gamers to be ruffled up about the Wii U, but I definitely don't think these ads are one of them. :D

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, I don't think "Wii U" would be such a confusing name to consumers if Nintendo had been a little less trigger-happy with the "Wii" branding last generation. Just look at that rap sheet!

-Wii Sports
-Wii Play
-Wii Party
-Wii Fit
-Wii Balance Board
-Wii Music (:'D)
-Wii Zapper
-Wii MotionPlus
-WiiConnect24
-WiiWare
-Wii Home Espresso Maker

And that's just off the top of my head!

Heck, with such a saturation of "Wii" products floating around, is it any wonder that a lot of uninitiated folks mistake the Wii U for yet another Wii add-on? With such a prevalent misconception running amok, of course Nintendo is going to run ads like this. :P

I don't really think this has anything to do with Ninty "giving up on hardcore gamers". I think they're just trying to fix a huge, financially-precarious misconception (since it's too late to fix their silly naming decision). :P

Certainly there a lot of reasons for gamers to be ruffled up about the Wii U, but I definitely don't think these ads are one of them. :D

At the same time you have to see where they're coming from as a business.

"So the Wii is a pretty well known name. It'd be safe if we kept that and incorporated it into our next console somehow instead of coming up with a new name". Hell, I probably would have done the same thing.

Reactions: geoflcl

loco365

Trophies
XP
-Wii Home Espresso Maker
iqPjEMu.gif

But yeah. Hopefully they don't start tossing "U" on the end of everything. It's been like that for the Nintendo 64 (Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64), GBA (Franchaise Advance #), DS (Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS) and the Wii (See list above). It's so old it's covered in dust.

Reactions: geoflcl

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
At the same time you have to see where they're coming from as a business.

"So the Wii is a pretty well known name. It'd be safe if we kept that and incorporated it into our next console somehow instead of coming up with a new name". Hell, I probably would have done the same thing.

Absolutely! Ordinarily, it would totally make sense for Ninty to label their new console as a successor to the Wii. Everyone and their dog have experienced it, after all! I would have totally done the same thing. It's just a shame that Nintendo's marketing tactics last generation have made it difficult to distinguish the Wii U as a new product.

It really is a strange predicament, isn't it? After years of good fun with their Wii consoles, people now yearn for something that can expand upon Nintendo's winning formula. Seeing this, Nintendo developed their next console to do just that. But because it carries the Wii name, people associate it with the same dusty ol' product they've grown tired of, so they're reluctant to make the jump. So essentially, people are sick of the Wii and want something new, and solution is right under their noses! :P In my opinion, a phenomenon as strange as this would have been difficult to predict. Unfortunately, some things are only apparent in hindsight! :'D

It's certainly not impossible for Ninty to salvage the Wii U. They just really need to debunk the heinous misconception that the Wii U offers nothing new. And they need to do it quick! :P

So all things considered, these ads make perfect sense! :P

PrimeX

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Wii U will be fine. They needed these "strange commercials" for anyone else beside hardcore gamers. People targeted in the 3 commercials don't think like us, don't have the same expectations from a product presentation, don't have the same perceptions about games so I think Nintendo did a good job about this.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best part about this, is it was just a little while ago every nintendo thread had everybody posting "Nintendo needs to just market it as a family console". So Nintendo does, and now people are still whining?

The issue here is that they're marketing to families - it's that they're marketing to families poorly with cringe-tastic commercials. They've had solid marketing in the past - like the Joel McHale vid I posted earlier - so there's really no excuse here.

But hey, if you want to ignore that and just blame it on "fanboys" or whatever, go right ahead.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The GamePad is literally one of the most comfortable controllers ever.

To be honest, I actually liked the commercials. If I didn't already have a WiiU, I'd be interested in and would want one. It shows what it can do and such. A little more focus on the types of games like Lego City, Monster Hunter and ZombiU would be nice, but it still works. Could be worse. Could be like the shitty and horrible PS3 commercials.
ik know it is but not for the wii2

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The issue here is that they're marketing to families - it's that they're marketing to families poorly with cringe-tastic commercials. They've had solid marketing in the past - like the Joel McHale vid I posted earlier - so there's really no excuse here.

But hey, if you want to ignore that and just blame it on "fanboys" or whatever, go right ahead.
That Joel McHale video while great, only gained 300k views... I'm pretty sure if they wanted that on TV, they'd have to cut out a lot of stuff because it's a 3 minute video. But at the same time, they're marketing it to families. Of course it's going to be cheesy and unwatchable for someone like us, but for the average consumer, it'll work. It did with the Wii.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That Joel McHale video while great, only gained 300k views... I'm pretty sure if they wanted that on TV, they'd have to cut out a lot of stuff because it's a 3 minute video. But at the same time, they're marketing it to families. Of course it's going to be cheesy and unwatchable for someone like us, but for the average consumer, it'll work. It did with the Wii.

I think you missed the point just a little bit. I'm not saying every advertisement should be exactly like that - far from it. I was just using that to show that Nintendo is more than capable of producing good ads, so there's no excuse for this.

Just because you're appealing to a wider market doesn't mean quality has to go out the window.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

This is intended for regular TV watchers, it's a proven science that cheesiness like this works effectively in that group. The adverting towards the gamer type is done primarily through the Internet.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think you missed the point just a little bit. I'm not saying every advertisement should be exactly like that - far from it. I was just using that to show that Nintendo is more than capable of producing good ads, so there's no excuse for this.

Just because you're appealing to a wider market doesn't mean quality has to go out the window.

Me and you are just gonna have to agree to disagree. I think it works just fine and it's what Nintendo's been doing for a long time. Again, for a 30 second clip, it's hard to get the actual message out there like the McHale video. I mean if I was at Nintendo, I'd want to focus on the families having fun more than the games or whatever.

It's a step up from that god awful UK commercial. And a huge improvement over the shitty PS3 ads. They've done this type of stuff with a lot of the stuff that's sold, Wii, DS, 3DS and look at how those have sold and are selling. I say give it time. You want the Joel McHale ads, than chances are these commercials aren't meant for you, and the internet ones are.

But to be honest, I wish they would go back to the SNES/N64 days where they would bash all the competition like the StarFox Rumble Pak one or something. But no, I bet you if they did that, Sony and Microsoft would sue for slander or shit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D