• Likes 4

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
If I was Nintendo, I would remove both cameras too, since it doesn't make much sense to have a 3D camera when you can't view 3D content (yeah, I know you can take photos with it and put on your computer with 3D screen/3DS, but still the 3DS camera is so poor that it isn't worth it) and put the price to US$99. As far as I know, there isn't that much software that uses the camera anyway (some Augmented Reality games that are a gimmick).

And anyway, this seems to be better to handle them my 3DS. I can see me buying one of these if my 3DS break or something, since I don't play it outside my house anyway.

Reactions: deishido

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
tumblr_ms9qdx3Qpr1rkbzf7o1_500.jpg

Indeed.....

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow a cheap way to the 3ds side of things but only it's called 2ds boy is this the stupidest thing they ever called it also why is the stick on top not bottom?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I, for one, welcome our former 2D overlords.

But in all seriousness, Many people were upset by the whole 3d thing, and now people are upset over them returning to 2D (But still letting you play the new games)
Personally, I like it. I always play LoZ:OoT and AC:NL with the 3D off because it's strenuous sometimes. Especially after a long day at work. I'm with M45t3r on the camera concept personally, I don't use them even with 3d available. But, children LOVE to take pictures. Why remove a feature that could still be considered desirable? I find the larger size with the smaller screens a sort of middle ground between the 3DS and 3DSXL. I didn't like the appearance of the XL's Screens, but I liked how it felt while playing. Granted, this won't be going in my pocket to work or anything, but it would probably fit well into a kid's backpack. Notably, a child probably won't have pockets big enough to fit either of the 3DS systems into, and they shouldn't be carting videogames around to school and stuff.

The tablet like design is much simpler and more appealing to those who aren't already Ninty fans and of course, those more familiar with tablets and other non-folding handhelds. This isn't a device made for someone who already has one [3DS], it's made to appeal to more casual gamers [phones, tablets and the like] while still offering Nintendo's arsenal of exclusives such as Zelda, Mario, Pokemon and more. Speaking of, coinciding with X and Y's release date make this a good choice for families who haven't gotten into the 3DS scene for themselves or their children this holiday season. A lower initial price point coupled together with the new games launching and being avaliable the same day, and of course almost all of the old games, makes this a great entry-level game system. As it seems to be intended for. (Although, I'm not entry level. I still rather like the design changes myself)

TL;DR
I think it's pretty :creep:

m45t3r

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I, for one, welcome our former 2D overlords.

But in all seriousness, Many people were upset by the whole 3d thing, and now people are upset over them returning to 2D (But still letting you play the new games)
Personally, I like it. I always play LoZ:OoT and AC:NL with the 3D off because it's strenuous sometimes. Especially after a long day at work. I'm with M45t3r on the camera concept personally, I don't use them even with 3d available. But, children LOVE to take pictures. Why remove a feature that could still be considered desirable? I find the larger size with the smaller screens a sort of middle ground between the 3DS and 3DSXL. I didn't like the appearance of the XL's Screens, but I liked how it felt while playing. Granted, this won't be going in my pocket to work or anything, but it would probably fit well into a kid's backpack. Notably, a child probably won't have pockets big enough to fit either of the 3DS systems into, and they shouldn't be carting videogames around to school and stuff.

The tablet like design is much simpler and more appealing to those who aren't already Ninty fans and of course, those more familiar with tablets and other non-folding handhelds. This isn't a device made for someone who already has one [3DS], it's made to appeal to more casual gamers [phones, tablets and the like] while still offering Nintendo's arsenal of exclusives such as Zelda, Mario, Pokemon and more. Speaking of, coinciding with X and Y's release date make this a good choice for families who haven't gotten into the 3DS scene for themselves or their children this holiday season. A lower initial price point coupled together with the new games launching and being avaliable the same day, and of course almost all of the old games, makes this a great entry-level game system. As it seems to be intended for. (Although, I'm not entry level. I still rather like the design changes myself)

TL;DR
I think it's pretty :creep:

Well, I think a child would prefer to take pictures with their smartphone or tablet but I can see a child that only owns a 3DS taking photos with it (even it they're poor, children just don't care too much). Anyway, I would take a lower price than the cameras any day.

As Ars said on this article this console would be even more interesting if it was a true tablet. Fragmentations issues aside, a tablet from Nintendo would be very interesting for children/casual use. The problem is the resistive screen, if they put a capacitative screen on it I would give my money easily.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What type of fuckin... then again if it's cheaper than the 3DS, I think I'd get it over the 3DS cuz the only real 3DS games I would get are like Pokemon X and Y and the Mario Kart 7.
Oh, and I know when I get a 2DS(or some shit like that) I will be able to pirate 3DS games. Rofl.

Isaac

American
Trophies
Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to change your opinion but you contradict yourself too much. You're the only person here blowing up like this is a big deal.
I'm not blowing up. I don't think I was contradicting myself, and if you weren't trying to change my opinion, why would you tell me why it was wrong. I for one, am fine with people having different opinions, I value opinions, It is not my goal to get into an argument in this thread, or at all. I am ending this right... about... now.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so, a weird looking 3DS, without the 3D, and most probably won't be compatible with Gateway? :wtf:

It doesn't matter if it's compatible with the Gateway, this is aimed towards kids.

As Ars said on this article this console would be even more interesting if it was a true tablet. Fragmentations issues aside, a tablet from Nintendo would be very interesting for children/casual use. The problem is the resistive screen, if they put a capacitative screen on it I would give my money easily.

No. Resistive > Capacitive. Fact

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Resistive > Capacitive. Fact

Depends on the criteria. Good luck performing proper, accurate multi-touch calculations on a resistive screen (although there are some resistive screens that do those fine, they're very expensive and the 3DS certainly doesn't have one of those), not to mention that the resistive film causes the screen to be less visible in sunlight. They're also prone to scratch and have issues whenever dust is involved.

Both technologies have their pro's and con's, Shadow - it's the intended use that decides which one is superior. As far as today's trends are concerned, multi-touch is becoming more and more important, hence the switch towards capacitive screens.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends on the criteria. Good luck performing proper, accurate multi-touch calculations on a resistive screen (although there are some resistive screens that do those fine, they're very expensive and the 3DS certainly doesn't have one of those), not to mention that the resistive film causes the screen to be less visible in sunlight. They're also prone to scratch and have issues whenever dust is involved.

Both technologies have their pro's and con's, Shadow - it's the intended use that decides which one is superior. As far as today's trends are concerned, Multi-touch is becoming more and more important, hence the switch towards capacitive screens.

For 3DS... resistive

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I find it to be kinda cute.
Wouldn't mind having it in my collection.....wouldn't be a first choice to get if I'm looking for a new console, but if I already have 3DS, and want something as an alternative, I like the fact that it's different.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think a child would prefer to take pictures with their smartphone or tablet but I can see a child that only owns a 3DS taking photos with it (even it they're poor, children just don't care too much). Anyway, I would take a lower price than the cameras any day.

I agree to the tablet part, however I must amend the statement regarding the cameras. I suppose that I had forgotten than many parents now-a-days give their 3-7 year olds cameras, smartphones and tablets. I'm not trying to sound like a sarcastic ass. I'm serious. my cousin got an iPad mini for his 11th birthday. I got a Zune when I turned 17. I think it's irresponsible parenting to be giving their children thing that they have perfectly viable and age appropriate material for. Like legos or something, seriously.

Ranting aside, this is Nintendo's attempt at making an age appropriate device. I only hope that it's not flushed out by an overzealous and irresponsible market.

Reactions: Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What borders?

And I think the reason for no clamshell is three-fold. First, it allows for that tablet-like appearance that'll be appealing to parents and casuals. Second, since it's designed with younger kids in mind, there's no chance of broken hinges due to their carelessness. And third, it allows to cut costs, since it allows Nintendo to use a single screen for both screens (what a weird thing to say), which they've stated does make things cheaper.

Borders I mean the space between the two screens. Mario kart has nice previews of the levels where it appears the middle section between the screens is a prt of the screens. The middle section on this 2DS is smaller and the previews will look strange. I think.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I kind of like the design. It's more suited for playing at home rather than on-the-go, so for those who want a 3DS for the selection of games rather than the mobility, that's somewhat of an advantage.

Other than that, it just seems really, really pointless. For $50 less, you get a gimped system with no 3D, monaural sound w/o headphones, and no real choice of mobility. If you're going to be spending $100+ on a system, you're most likely going to be getting a game or two with it. Why not just sacrifice one of those games, throw in another $10, and get the real deal. Sure, some people might be tight on money, but if that's the case, you shouldn't be blowing the money you have on a new system.

Also, the system being "designed for kids" is bullshit. It doesn't have hinges, so they won't break that, but the screens are now constantly exposed, and those will SURELY be damaged by little kids using the system. And then there's parents who think the 3D is going to make their child blind. The 3DS already has parental controls to lock the 3D, so that's a null point too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F