Hacking Nintendo 3DS WPA Homebrew Support?

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
If the Nintendo 3DS gets hacked, and you set up internet on a WPA Secured network, will old (DS mode) Homebrews (like DSOrganize) support Internet connection?
I am still currently on a DS Lite, so I haven't gotten a chance to test WPA and old homebrews on the DSi. Can someone confirm that WPA will be supported on old homebrews? Thnks.
yaynds.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
If the 3DS can be made to run in DS mode through hacks, a flash cart, or otherwise, I see no reason why normal DS mode homebrew wouldn't work unless the compatibility wasn't built into the firmware of the cart or the hack applied to the console.

Reactions: NoNAND

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
mercluke said:
idulkoan said:
Can someone confirm that WPA will be supported on old homebrews? Thnks.
yaynds.gif
no, just wep/unsecured in ds mode

Oh, I missed that part. Normal DS and DSlite are WEP or no security only. That's never gonna change sadly. Makes optimizing router security difficult.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
If the 3DS can be made to run in DS mode through hacks, a flash cart, or otherwise, I see no reason why normal DS mode homebrew wouldn't work unless the compatibility wasn't built into the firmware of the cart or the hack applied to the console.
But DS Mode doesn't have WPA, so would it just come up with an error when connecting to a WPA Secured HotSpot?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
Nathan Drake said:
But DS Mode doesn't have WPA, so would it just come up with an error when connecting to a WPA Secured HotSpot?

Exactly. DS mode does not and will never support WPA. WEP or no security only.

This means that every piece of homebrew currently available for the DS can not be run through WPA.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait lemme check...

I still need to buy a 3DS, hack it, run some homebrews and shit, then I'll get back to you.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:
Nathan Drake said:

Exactly. DS mode does not and will never support WPA. WEP or no security only.

This means that every piece of homebrew currently available for the DS can not be run through WPA.
Aww... was having problems with my Nintendo Wifi USB connecter and ASUS Program, because of Firewall issues and a bunch of other stuff. I was able to have 'secret' open wifi with a hidden ssid at one point, but then it stopped working again. I was hoping to be able to switch to WEP and have my Homebrews workin... Thanks for the Quick Replies

BTW sorry I didn't reply too quickly, i waz in bed on my ds using Win2DS. I HATE the keyboard. Too many typos, took me forever to post, Im on my computer now
tongue.gif

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Well is there any chance of somone being able to update the homebrews? Like DSOrganize? The dude who made it a lond time ago quit, so I dont think it will ever be updated, and you will need the source TO update it. Mabe the source is sumwhere if he ever released it.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
It's stupid to talk about hacking when we don't know the level of security.
Well we have the DSi Hacked to DS mode, but I never got to test old homebrews on it as I don't own it, and the 3DS WILL support WEP for sure, so I was wondering if it was even compatible with the DSi.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
Well is there any chance of somone being able to update the homebrews? Like DSOrganize? The dude who made it a lond time ago quit, so I dont think it will ever be updated, and you will need the source TO update it. Mabe the source is sumwhere if he ever released it.

Most people aren't going to mess with older homebrew. Even then, the homebrew would have to be completely remade to run in DSi or 3DS mode. Zero chance of that happening.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
m00t said:
idulkoan said:
As the guy with the dog pic said:

"It's stupid to talk about hacking when we don't know the level of security."
But for sure it's gunna b hacked. EVERYTHING gets hacked over time. Even the PS3. I thought that would never get hacked. It finally did. Wii waz easy. Xbox - YEP. Even Handhelds like the PSP. So For Sure someone will do it

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
m00t said:
idulkoan said:

But for sure it's gunna b hacked. EVERYTHING gets hacked over time. Even the PS3. I thought that would never get hacked. It finally did. Wii waz easy. Xbox - YEP. Even Handhelds like the PSP. So For Sure someone will do it

We don't have the system, it isn't currently hacked, we have no idea what may or may not be possible when and if it does get hacked.

Let's leave speculation for elsewhere.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:

Most people aren't going to mess with older homebrew. Even then, the homebrew would have to be completely remade to run in DSi or 3DS mode. Zero chance of that happening.
Completely Remade? So the whole code needs to be rewritten? Well then there is no point
tongue.gif
. I just had a thought about this, so I decided to post it and see what ppl say before I get brainwashed in my sleep
smile.gif
(Yawn)

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:
m00t said:
idulkoan said:

We don't have the system, it isn't currently hacked, we have no idea what may or may not be possible when and if it does get hacked.

Let's leave speculation for elsewhere.
Ok. I gues I'll have to wait a couple of months/years before posting this topic again..
biggrin.gif

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:

Completely Remade? So the whole code needs to be rewritten? Well then there is no point
tongue.gif
. I just had a thought about this, so I decided to post it and see what ppl say before I get brainwashed in my sleep
smile.gif
(Yawn)

It would have to be rewritten to be told to run in DSi mode and not DS mode, which means the function would have to be available on the machine it was being run on, etc., etc. It's just a whole lot of work that most people aren't going to put forth the effort to do. We will only see new, better homebrew. Older homebrew becomes just kind of a side project for people if they want to develop for an older console or handheld to try out their skills.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:

tongue.gif
smile.gif
(Yawn)

It would have to be rewritten to be told to run in DSi mode and not DS mode, which means the function would have to be available on the machine it was being run on, etc., etc. It's just a whole lot of work that most people aren't going to put forth the effort to do. We will only see new, better homebrew. Older homebrew becomes just kind of a side project for people if they want to develop for an older console or handheld to try out their skills.
OK so I can't be looking forward to DSOrganize on the 3DS, but I can look forward to a *NEW* PDA app for 3DS? like DS Organize but just different for 3ds with different options/other?

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:
Nathan Drake said:
idulkoan said:

tongue.gif
smile.gif
(Yawn)

OK so I can't be looking forward to DSOrganize on the 3DS, but I can look forward to a *NEW* PDA app for 3DS? like DS Organize but just different for 3ds with different options/other?

If somebody can and is willing to develop it. Nobody knows.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well when and if it is hacked people will want to do better stuff then just remakes of old homebrew for the DS.
They would want new exciting things.
One thing i would be excited about is a 3DFlow.
We don't know for sure if it's going to be hacked, or what Nintendo is gonna do to counter hacking.
So we might just get hyped up for nothing.
In the other hand it could be hacked the day it's released.
We just should push homebrew out of the picture until there is news of cracking the AP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.