Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo 3DS source code leaked

3ds.png

Two in a row today!

The item of interest, barely four hours after the last major drop, consists of partial source code for the Nintendo 3DS family updated as of October 2014:

• Source code for the 3DS bootroms and kernels, including modules (drivers) for 3DS mode.
  • Precompiled DSi and GBA bootroms (the latter being the NDS variant).
  • Source code for most developer titles, including many not directly released to licensed developers.

The above list is the result of a cursory analysis: it may contain inaccuracies. However, notably, it does not contain any regular system application or applet, meaning the inevitable question about what this means for the 300 icon limit can already be answered.

ctr.7z - SHA1: 67026A413E08577B9F174168A7F02A8751571E87 - info-hash: 6efb571ce3eec59dfa6d6627da6581292a3e6a57

[platform=/platform/3ds]Old Nintendo 3DS[/platform]

Last edited by Ryccardo, , Reason: fixed link

Jayinem81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what you're talking about. Switch has sold over 55 million units so far, and that's in 3 years. They are doing just fine.

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
Ok sorry for D&D references I will try another way. Their opinion will go down a fair bit. I mean I was big fan of Nintendo consoles, I could see good sides in most of them and would defend them to some degree. Now I have literally PS4, Vita - consoles that few years ago I would say "NEVER!" - and do NOT plan to buy Switch even for literally 1$ price. Sure they won't go bancrupt just because of being insane but with time they may notice that chasing after every single person who says loudly "Super Mario Bros" with giant hammer "C&D" to sue them is not best strategy, heck it's not even decent one.
As for sales, they just prove partially the point that customers are more and more ignorant. I for one checked how well crafter Switch is or rather is NOT, I have checked what bad sides it has - and the pile is just getting bigger - and I know that I don't want to buy a hardware that may break from NORMAL USE and make games that I buy for it "kiss byebye" because they are bound to account AND console as one entity.
All consoles are DRM Boxes sure, but you can make a ranking of how much one DRM Box is bad and how much another is not so bad. Switch is deffinitelly in the "bad" area.
To make it good working but keep it lawful your best bet is buy the game, dump it (or download from the net exact copy because it's no different), make sure you have invoice or something for it I guess and emulate it on the emulator on your PC that - if well crafted - will outlive any Switch console AND can do bunch of other things because... it's PC.

ANYWAY~!
As far as I remember that's not first data leak from Nintendo so that's not helping the case that they get yet another leak and who knows if it's the last one... That reminds me, isn't Switch software based partially - or fully? - on 3DS software? If so that would probably open many new hacking angles for interested parties. :P

EDIT #1
Ah almost forgot, to put things in shortest known to me way:
A) Someone makes a fan-made SMB game - Nintendo goes "OURS! AAA! C&D! STOP IT!"
B) Someone makes a fan-made Sonic game - SEGA goes "we will hire you guys" (Sonic Mania)

EDIT #2
Another thing, look at what happened with Doom Eternal and Denuvo and Anti-Cheat in it

Last edited by iSubaru,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
EDIT #1
Ah almost forgot, to put things in shortest known to me way:
A) Someone makes a fan-made SMB game - Nintendo goes "OURS! AAA! C&D! STOP IT!"
B) Someone makes a fan-made Sonic game - SEGA goes "we will hire you guys" (Sonic Mania)

Ah yes, RIP to all these C&D'd Nintendo fangames.

(I'm pretty sure half of these have more downloads than a lot of Nintendo first party games btw)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah yes, RIP to all these C&D'd Nintendo fangames.

(I'm pretty sure half of these have more downloads than a lot of Nintendo first party games btw)
Several of those are mods rather than fan games, and stated as such.
They may or may not contain content that could get them pinged but the main reason most of the fan games get taken down (full games using official sounding names and titles, news of which spread wide around the trade media) is usually potential confusion by customers and a lack of enforcement could lead to genericide of their trademarks.

Reactions: banjo2

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
not the gameboy but Zelda DX had some discoveries some years ago
https://www.pagetable.com/?p=28

As for game and watch depending upon what version they are that might be difficult -- the G&W stuff might not even be emulation in the strictest sense of the term as much as simulation as there is no real central CPU, instructions, memory or anything we typically recognise as a computer and instead almost pure logic.
To that end G&W source code would be the form of a transistor decap or arrangement diagram, or any design docs that might exist of people prototyping things.

i have game and watch EMULATION on my super mario bros G&W.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I hope the 3DS never dies to the point where it is comparable to the Vita. Seeing a lot of the ports being developed for the Vita gives me hope.

Unfortunately the emulators, that run in the 3DS and New 3DS/2DS are mostly dead, they haven't been updated in over two years. Is a shame because the New 3DS/2DS has hardware more powerful that the Vita.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately the emulators, that run in the 3DS and New 3DS/2DS are mostly dead, they haven't been updated in over two years. Is a shame because the New 3DS/2DS has hardware more powerful that the Vita.
More powerful than the Vita in what way? The Vita's graphics are almost on-par with a PS3, the graphics on the 3DS are more like a Gamecube, if that. Maybe more like between N64 and Gamecube.

Reactions: BaamAlex
D

Deleted User

More powerful than the Vita in what way? The Vita's graphics are almost on-par with a PS3, the graphics on the 3DS are more like a Gamecube, if that. Maybe more like between N64 and Gamecube.
i think the vita is more like an overclocked og xbox, while the 3ds is more comparable to a psp

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i think the vita is more like an overclocked og xbox, while the 3ds is more comparable to a psp

NEW 3DS/2DS not the old models!

New 3DS/New 2DS not 3DS/OLD 2DS

For example:

.New 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 4x @ 268MHz (one reserved for OS)
- 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor (vector processors, like SPEs in PS3)
- 256MB FCRAM
- 10MB VRAM
- Dedicated Hardware Video Decoder
- Unfortunately seemingly no change to the GPU, clock rate and all hence why games not made for the New 2ds/NEW 3DS show no improvement at all.

Old 3DS specs:
- ARM11 MPCore 2x @ 268MHz (one reseved for OS)
- 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor
- 128MB FCRAM
- 6MB VRAM
- PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

The old 2DS is basically the same to the old 2DS save for lack of 3DS and the fact the old 2DS is the easiest model to hack.

The new 2ds is quite similar to the new 3DS save minor differences.

Vita:
CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU: SGX543MP4+
Main memory: 512MB
VRAM: 128MB

The Vita has more VRAM but is at least is comparable.

Last edited by raxadian,
D

Deleted User

- Unfortunately seemingly no change to the GPU, clock rate and all hence why games not made for the New 2ds/NEW 3DS show no improvement at all.
monster hunter 4/generations have higher res textures on the new 3ds than it does on the old 3ds, marginally higher res, but still higher res nonetheless

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
monster hunter 4/generations have higher res textures on the new 3ds than it does on the old 3ds, marginally higher res, but still higher res nonetheless

From Wikipedia:

"On January 26, 2014, an enhanced edition titled Monster Hunter 4G was announced for release in Japan on October 11, 2014, and allowed players to utilize Monster Hunter 4 save files.This version was released in North America and Europe as Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on February 13, 2015.The new version of the game was released alongside the New Nintendo 3DS in all regions except Australia."

Is a game made for the New 3DS.

D

Deleted User

From Wikipedia:

"On January 26, 2014, an enhanced edition titled Monster Hunter 4G was announced for release in Japan on October 11, 2014, and allowed players to utilize Monster Hunter 4 save files.This version was released in North America and Europe as Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on February 13, 2015.The new version of the game was released alongside the New Nintendo 3DS in all regions except Australia."

Is a game made for the New 3DS.
it runs on old 3ds, so not really

also why would games made before the new 3ds came out, have new 3ds improvements? if the texture resolutions and graphics are hardcoded, just running it on a new 3ds isn't going to do jack shit

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
it runs on old 3ds, so not really

also why would games made before the new 3ds came out, have new 3ds improvements? if the texture resolutions and graphics are hardcoded, just running it on a new 3ds isn't going to do jack shit

Dude did you read the article?

There are two versions of the game.

Monster Hunter 4 for the old 2DS/3DS.

And Monster Hunter 4 Generations that's made for the New 3DS/2DS and can run in the old 2DS/3DS

Is just like many early games for the PS4 Pro can still run on the basic PS4.

D

Deleted User

Dude did you read the article?

There are two versions of the game.

Monster Hunter 4 for the old 2DS/3DS.

And Monster Hunter 4 Generations that's made for the New 3DS/2DS and can run in the old 2DS/3DS

Is just like many early games for the PS4 Pro can still run on the basic PS4.
monster hunter 4 generations doesn't exist, it's 4 ultimate and generations

and even then, you still didn't disprove my point, 4 ultimate has lower res textures on old 3ds compared to new 3ds, as well as a lower framerate. having a seperate version that basically nobody knows about doesn't really matter since everyone's going to be playing and buying ultimate anyway

edit:, on top of that, even games that were previously made before the new 3ds game out, only run in "old 3ds" mode on the new 3ds. if not there would be compatability problems. if you cfw your 3ds and enable the clock speed and cache for older games, you'll have mixed results, a lot of games will freeze, crash, or bug out completely, and others will run fine. so there's no improvement because it was artificially limited to begin with

Last edited by ,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
monster hunter 4 generations doesn't exist, it's 4 ultimate and generations

and even then, you still didn't disprove my point, 4 ultimate has lower res textures on old 3ds compared to new 3ds, as well as a lower framerate. having a seperate version that basically nobody knows about doesn't really matter since everyone's going to be playing and buying ultimate anyway

edit:, on top of that, even games that were previously made before the new 3ds game out, only run in "old 3ds" mode on the new 3ds. if not there would be compatability problems. if you cfw your 3ds and enable the clock speed and cache for older games, you'll have mixed results, a lot of games will freeze, crash, or bug out completely, and others will run fine. so there's no improvement because it was artificially limited to begin with

On the Nintendo 64 some games released before the memory expansion pack run better with it on. Others do not and even have problems. I think a few games even crash?

So no, expecting improvements is not so out the wild as you may think.

Also Generations is the Japanese name hence the 4G in the Japanese name.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
On the Nintendo 64 some games released before the memory expansion pack run better with it on. Others do not and even have problems. I think a few games even crash?

So no, expecting improvements is not so out the wild as you may think.

Also Generations is the Japanese name hence the 4G in the Japanese name.
Any good coder for an early system will code the game to take advantage of any additional hardware expansion when it's detected beyond the initial hardware specs. Like how some games run better with the expansion pack in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup