Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo 3DS source code leaked

3ds.png

Two in a row today!

The item of interest, barely four hours after the last major drop, consists of partial source code for the Nintendo 3DS family updated as of October 2014:

• Source code for the 3DS bootroms and kernels, including modules (drivers) for 3DS mode.
  • Precompiled DSi and GBA bootroms (the latter being the NDS variant).
  • Source code for most developer titles, including many not directly released to licensed developers.

The above list is the result of a cursory analysis: it may contain inaccuracies. However, notably, it does not contain any regular system application or applet, meaning the inevitable question about what this means for the 300 icon limit can already be answered.

ctr.7z - SHA1: 67026A413E08577B9F174168A7F02A8751571E87 - info-hash: 6efb571ce3eec59dfa6d6627da6581292a3e6a57

[platform=/platform/3ds]Old Nintendo 3DS[/platform]

Last edited by Ryccardo, , Reason: fixed link
Followup 1

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But wait, there's more!

svn_v1.068.zip (SHA1: 168E2FBC3CB68EBFCC5471CA7AB0C6915364659B) was posted soon afterwards, containing a circa-2013 version of the 3DS Virtual Console emulator.

[Before they diverged afterwards (giving birth to SNES VC or the GB VC with link support), early 3DS Virtual Console releases tended to use the same emulator codebase, capable of NES and Game Boy titles, as well as unused and underperforming software GBA emulation.]

Last edited by Ryccardo,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wow this is starting to be terrifying at this rate.

Clearly Nintendo has got serious security problems if they can no longer keep their source code private.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Clearly Nintendo has got serious security problems if they can no longer keep their source code private.
Is it a rate or just someone got a nice dump and is spacing it out a bit?

Anyway sounds like not a lot of great interest for me -- if we already have total control hacks that are easy to do, and custom firmwares free of many limits/simple workarounds, then not much to be gained.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

According to the most reasonable theory, all of this comes from Wack0's friends (see the "Generation 1" link in OP), so un/fortunately presumably they're solved by now

Reactions: NekoMichi and Zense

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"However, notably, it does not contain any regular system application or applet, meaning the inevitable question about what this means for the 300 icon limit can already be answered."

Literally the only thing I was curious about and ready to ask immediately about. Such a shame, so close, yet so far. Hoping that could still leak along with the Wii U source code at some point soon here so we can bypass that damn limit.

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of sad to think this leak (since this + everything else are supposedly part of the same thing, just being publicly released in a drip feed) is forever tainted somewhat, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it generally assumed the dude that hacked into Nintendo’s servers a few years back where after being identified the police came to confiscate/search his computer only to find out he also had CP on it was behind this?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of sad to think this leak (since this + everything else are supposedly part of the same thing, just being publicly released in a drip feed) is forever tainted somewhat, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it generally assumed the dude that hacked into Nintendo’s servers a few years back where after being identified the police came to confiscate/search his computer only to find out he also had CP on it was behind this?

No, that's the guy that made freeshop.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's worth mentioning these leaks most likely all come from the same source who obtained the files around 2018. It's not that the files are slowly being leaked off Nintendo, it's that they're slowly being let out to the general public.
2018? So that means switch source code is fair game??

This is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over