Hacking Nintendo 2DS, CFW and R4: is it worth?

alemarco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone, I'm alemarco11. In these days I was looking in the Internet how I can install the CFW on the Nintendo 3DS/N3DS/2DS despite at the moment I don't have none of these consoles (I had in the past the old 3DS). I don't know exactly why I was looking for the CFW of a console that, at the moment, I don't have but, after that, I want to buy a Nintendo 2DS. I saw many guides and videos and I know that with this process I downgrade the console to the OFW 2.1 and I was thinking about a thing. I have an old R4 for only DS games that runs on OFW 4.5 or below, so, if I proceed with the downgrade, I can update first my R4 and after continue with the installation of the CFW. I know that the CFW can load DS games too, but I wouldn't mind to resuscitate this card. But this is not the main question, it's just a whim. The main problem is that at the moment I can't buy the console, only next week I can, and I'm worried for a system update that doesn't allow to downgrade the OFW to 2.1. So guys, is it worth? And sorry for some eventual mistakes, English isn't my first language ;)

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if a new system update comes out next week (which is very unlikely), the consoles on stocks will stay on the old firmware. Retailers would nevr take them out of the box just to update.
So, buy anyway.

Reactions: alemarco11

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you definitely downgrade a week from now. 2ds don't come on latest firmware anyways, and if by a freak chance a update drops, you will still be able to downgrade, as you don't need to update to downgrade. Your r4 can be used by using a ds whitelist (included in the the guide). If the whitelist doesn't work, you can use a loader. Just use 3ds.guide and only this guide. DO NOT FOLLOW VIDEOS, THEY ARE OLD AND UNSTABLE. ONLY USE 3ds.guide . There is an option for Italian I believe.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

click the top right corner of the home page of 3ds.guide to switch languages

Reactions: alemarco11

alemarco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the replies. I know that retailers don't upgrade the system, but I read that i must be on 9.2 or above for downgrade the system. So it's possible to downgrade the system even if I had a console on OFW below of 9.2? Now I check it out the link of 3ds.guide. For the moment thanks, i'll send you a message in this topic if I have more doubts

SimplyFedorable

Evangelion Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I know that retailers don't upgrade the system, but I read that i must be on 9.2 or above for downgrade the system. So it's possible to downgrade the system even if I had a console on OFW below of 9.2? Now I check it out the link of 3ds.guide. For the moment thanks, i'll send you a message in this topic if I have more doubts
Yes, you can downgrade a system under 9.2

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It its new, you should be alright no matter what, but if you are buying used, maybe you could ask to see the firmware before buying.

alemarco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've done a quick read to the site, but only i still have some doubt on 2 things: from what i read, it's possible to copy all the content of the SD after the installation of a CFW to another SD without losing the CFW, right? The second doubt is for a original game that is necessay for this process (i read and see so much people saying this, on the guide there isn't this requirement, so I think I only watch outdated stuff). No, my idea is not to buy a used console, the 2DS in Italy costs only 90€, about 90 american dollars... and my birthday is very close so it's a little gift for myself ;)

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a quick read to the site, but only i still have some doubt on 2 things: from what i read, it's possible to copy all the content of the SD after the installation of a CFW to another SD without losing the CFW, right? The second doubt is for a original game that is necessay for this process (i read and see so much people saying this, on the guide there isn't this requirement, so I think I only watch outdated stuff). No, my idea is not to buy a used console, the 2DS in Italy costs only 90€, about 90 american dollars... and my birthday is very close so it's a little gift for myself ;)
1. Yes. The hack is installed to the NAND (internal storage of the 3DS) so switching SD won't lose it.
2. You don't have to buy anything outside than the console.

The 2DS is cheap but honestly I would suggest buying a used 3DS XL for the same price because of the screen. 2DS is somehow too small to look at for a long period of time.

Last edited by windhazard,

alemarco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, I know, but in Italy i can't find any good deal for an used 3DS XL. But in this moment (until the 1st of march) on Gamestop there is a special sale on a new 3DS XL (the old version) at 130€ and a new red 2DS (looks a bit horrible) at 70€. the diffrence isn't too much, i thought to buy on Amazon.it at 90€.

alemarco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Another doubt is about SD. I read that 3DS ufficially supports only 32 GB SDHC cards, but it can load sd card with more Gb only if they have been formatted in fat32. Is there a game that goes over the 4 Gb limit of fat 32?

alemarco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't want to open another discussion for a single question, so sorry if I re-open my old topic... At the end of the story I didn't buy a 2DS or 3DS because I had to change a bit the hardware of my PC, but now I can buy without problems a 3DS. During this period I followed a bit the 3DS scene and I know that the downgrade (and the CFW) it's now possible on 11.3, but at the same time, Nintendo released a system update that brings 3DS to 11.4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that 11.4 patches some exploit like soundhax that were in the system for almost an year. If I bought a new 3DS now (so tomorrow, today shops are closed, happy easter a bit late ;)), am I sure that the system isn't on 11.4? Thanks :)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I don't want to open another discussion for a single question, so sorry if I re-open my old topic... At the end of the story I didn't buy a 2DS or 3DS because I had to change a bit the hardware of my PC, but now I can buy without problems a 3DS. During this period I followed a bit the 3DS scene and I know that the downgrade (and the CFW) it's now possible on 11.3, but at the same time, Nintendo released a system update that brings 3DS to 11.4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that 11.4 patches some exploit like soundhax that were in the system for almost an year. If I bought a new 3DS now (so tomorrow, today shops are closed, happy easter a bit late ;)), am I sure that the system isn't on 11.4? Thanks :)
Brand new unopened - guaranteed to be under 11.4. Used or refurbished - could easily be 11.4.

Reactions: RustInPeace

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...