SS4

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys. i just did the whole QR thing with Ninjax and my SKY3DS+.
I have a n3DS XL on latest fw (bought it used and i'm not gonna harmod it).

Now i tried the region free launcher after that and it worked just great.

What I would like to know is what are my limitations as far as all the homebrew i can use without any problem or risk on my 3DS since its on official firmware?

Thx in advance.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What I would like to know is what are my limitations as far as all the homebrew i can use without any problem or risk on my 3DS since its on official firmware?

Thx in advance.

you can only use userland homebrew, so save data editors might not function correctly due to PASLR on the newest firmware. This is usually disabled with CFW/a9lh, so that is one downside.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are restricted to userland things only, so I'm 90% sure you can't possibly harm your 3DS with anything that will actually run. Worst case, you ruin files on your SD card. Make regular backups of your SD.

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
Well you can play almost all games that have have a retail version (except pokemon sun moon for now). You can't play eshop games only like Ace Attorney Dual Destinies.

Use svdt to backup your saves, and some emulators to play old games.

SS4

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What about legit CIA with a universal key?
I guess homebrew game might work, basically anything that kinda runs like an app.
So editing my 3ds theme or using the freeshop (I think its what its called lol) wouldn't work.
I mean i'm quite happy with being able to play any 3ds game that was physically released with the SKY3DS+ and regionfree loader but i was curious about the few extra things i could do too.
And the regionfree loader wouldn't allow me to play moded 3ds games (like undub or custom look/levels etc . . .).
I downloaded the homebrew kit after installing ninjax so ill see what can work in there.
You guys mentioned some emulators that would work to, any good ones i should know about? (BTW i also have a DSi XL with a SCDS2 so i already have great GBA emulation and ok SNES i guess).

rubycrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about legit CIA with a universal key?
I guess homebrew game might work, basically anything that kinda runs like an app.
So editing my 3ds theme or using the freeshop (I think its what its called lol) wouldn't work.
I mean i'm quite happy with being able to play any 3ds game that was physically released with the SKY3DS+ and regionfree loader but i was curious about the few extra things i could do too.
And the regionfree loader wouldn't allow me to play moded 3ds games (like undub or custom look/levels etc . . .).
I downloaded the homebrew kit after installing ninjax so ill see what can work in there.
You guys mentioned some emulators that would work to, any good ones i should know about? (BTW i also have a DSi XL with a SCDS2 so i already have great GBA emulation and ok SNES i guess).
You can use HANS to play modded games like translation and stuff with userland entry point and Sky3ds(+).

Scallar

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Thx in advance.

In order for homebrew software to see the game in SKY3DS+ i have to pull out and put in again the cartridge.
Is there any more convenient way to switch between games inside Homebrew Launcher ?
Or my SKY3DS+ is behaving strangely ?

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In order for homebrew software to see the game in SKY3DS+ i have to pull out and put in again the cartridge.
Is there any more convenient way to switch between games inside Homebrew Launcher ?
Or my SKY3DS+ is behaving strangely ?
Sadly no there is no other way for now. Maybe Hax 2.8 will fix that but for now you'll have to eject the card and put it back for the Homebrew Launcher to recognized that the game has changed.

Scallar

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sadly no there is no other way for now. Maybe Hax 2.8 will fix that but for now you'll have to eject the card and put it back for the Homebrew Launcher to recognized that the game has changed.

I see. Is this method even safe ? I think I've seen somewhere a post from a guy, who lost all SD card date because of pulling the cartridge with console on.
Anyway, I think it should be possible to implement some kind of manual refresh of cartridge data w/o pulling.

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see. Is this method even safe ? I think I've seen somewhere a post from a guy, who lost all SD card date because of pulling the cartridge with console on.
Anyway, I think it should be possible to implement some kind of manual refresh of cartridge data w/o pulling.
Never heard of anything like that.
You'll have to ask Smea for that. I think HL only check the card on insertion. But honestly it's not such a big issue.

SS4

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure i was able to change the games by pressing the orange button fine and the region free launcher displayed the game properly without removing the cartridge . . .
But pulling your Sky3DS+ cart is safe as long as the lights aren't on since its not reading or writing anything important.
The green/blue/red light are hard to miss when on so you shouldn't have any problem if you don,t do anything stupid . . .

rubycrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of anything like that.
You'll have to ask Smea for that. I think HL only check the card on insertion. But honestly it's not such a big issue.
The SD card inside Sky3ds+ is only used when the red light is on or saving, green light indicates that the cart has loaded the game from SD card to its NAND. So as long as you don't pull it out when it is reading or writing(saving), you are fine.

Reactions: Zidapi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Real Jdbye yeah those are great too